Football: The Winter Break

polishgenius

17 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The commentators on my feed couldn't tell watching replays live without assistance which has basically been my complaint. 

Huh.  Weird.  I've seen some that are almost impossible to see but first time that was shown on replay I (and the commentators) knew it was offside.

It is very hard to imagine that Japan will beat Spain.  Even a second string Spain (because every Spanish player is decent).  Outmuscling Spain is the best way of beating them and I don't think that is Japan's strength.  While its hard to imagine Germany not beating Costa Rica by a number of goals.  And Germany will then (at worst) qualify on goals scored.  They did well yesterday.   While Spain probably learned a few things.  Best game remains Denmark France though.

4 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Brazil's line up against Switzerland is confirmed with Fred in Neymar's spot (because Tite is too afraid of losing to do anything else) and Militão in Danilo's place, because Daniel Alves is only there for "loyalty" and being "good for the group", not actually playing ball

He needs two ManU midfielders against Xhaka. :P

Regarding incendiary things coaches say, Queiroz has 'hit back' (it was more just a few sentences) by alluding to social problems in the US such as school shootings and racism. This is of course in response to the tweet by the US ...whoever it was, removing the emblem from the Iranian flag. Berhalter has been at pains to say that the team had no knowledge and input into the tweet itself. Anyway, lends some spice to the match tomorrow.

I've always been of the opinion that sporting events are proxies in that you can compete on a playground rather than a battlefield, so hopefully everyone can shake hands before and after, but move on from this. Everyone is supportive of the ongoing protests in Iran of course. 

36 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Are we allowed to describe the Uruguayan football team’s culture in a certain way?

In general word choices matter. I don't know what's in Klinsmann's heart. Maybe he's a bigot, maybe he isn't. I can see how his comments could be seen as directly a rebuke of what Iran does on the pitch and how they can be seen as a bigoted attack. With a bit of time to reflect I think it's best not to use the term "culture" in a negative light. 

Unrelated, some of the best photos I've ever taken were of an old, abandoned bull fighting arena in Uruguay.

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

In general word choices matter. I don't know what's in Klinsmann's heart. Maybe he's a bigot, maybe he isn't. I can see how his comments could be seen as directly a rebuke of what Iran does on the pitch and how they can be seen as a bigoted attack. With a bit of time to reflect I think it's best not to use the term "culture" in a negative light. 

Unrelated, some of the best photos I've ever taken were of an old, abandoned bull fighting arena in Uruguay.

A nuanced take.. you don’t see many of those 

Coaches like Uruguay's really annoy me: have a lot of attacking talent, but leave them on the bench or forced them to focus more on marking them creating (like with Valverde) and set the team up to not suffer a goal first and foremost, and then after conceding go desperately to the attack. Why not just use what you got to, you know, try to score goals yourself?

3 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Berhalter has been at pains to say that the team had no knowledge and input into the tweet itself. Anyway, lends some spice to the match tomorrow.

It's pretty funny that he was asked why he's not demanding naval ships be moved away from Iran.

Archived