Football: The Winter Break

polishgenius

3 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

It was the worst game of my national team I ever watched, my eyeballs still bleed. We are so fucking clueless. We don't belong here, what can I say. 

Now quick execution on Sunday and we can go home. 

I was expecting them to start dropping on their knees begging Argentina to stop scoring. A really pathetic performance, can't mince words.

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Ronaldo is reportedly being offered over $300m to play in Saudi Arabia. 

Is this kind of sports washing actually working? Qatar has been embarrassed on almost every level and I've yet to read or hear any credible source that this tournament has gone well for them specifically. LIV golf is the obvious comparison, but again, how is that actually going? Again not well unless you want to light money on fire to hear people drag you all the time.

I am not convinced it is about making money. It is about flaunting weath and supposed power. As long as these guys egos continue to be fellated by all the richie richie posers that attend their parties, the sport washing will continue.

21 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

I am not convinced it is about making money. It is about flaunting weath and supposed power. As long as these guys egos continue to be fellated by all the richie richie posers that attend their parties, the sport washing will continue.

There's zero interest in making money, hence why I mentioned LIV. 

17 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Yeah I read that. Also I read that the coach is unwillingly still there, he wanted to resign, but they "persuaded" him to stay for the World Cup, so he'll leave soon after.

All kinds of rumours are flying around and I wouldn't be surprised if none of them were actually true. For example, Jovic posted a picture with Gudelj , who allegedly slept with his wife and the two came to blows over it, where they stand in "fighting positions" in a dressing room and wrote "ready for the next one". They are both laughing in the picture so it doesn't seem like there's bad blood between them, but obviously that doesn't have to mean anything.

Sure, there were some elections for our FA president and there was some controversy around that, and that's one of the reasons why our coach allegedly wants to resign but I'm not sure there's any truth to that.

So far, it looks just another case of "we're just not good enough but can't/won't admit it".

Poland really were bad.  Hard to imagine France can't beat them but Poland are reasonably strong defensively, so there is always a chance I suppose.  I normally like Mexico but they exited because they didn't do much in their first 2 games.

Denmark were shocking also.  I like attacking teams to win but they fell apart as a team after around 30 minutes yesterday (way before the actual goal) that I couldn't feel too sorry for them.  Australia is such an average team though.  Embarrassing to lose to them.  A good next game for Argentina next.  Another team who will play very defensively against them.  But Argentina seem to be improving at least.  Very rare to see such a one sided game yesterday.

England should beat Senegal, who haven't looked great also.  The US v the Netherlands looks like the most competitive game so far in the next round.  If the US keep up their energy levels, they could pull off a famous victory.  The Dutch have done very little so far.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

So, Qatar, how's the sportswashing going?

Has your international reputation been enhanced at all?

LOL.

I've heard a range of numbers on what they spent for this. Even if the low end is correct, holy shit that's a lot of money to set on fire.

The sad and truly criminal part is they could have just spent a little more to pay the workers properly and provide safer working conditions and avoided all the bad press.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

The sad and truly criminal part is they could have just spent a little more to pay the workers properly and provide safer working conditions and avoided all the bad press.

There still would have been the issue of how they treat women and LGBT.

16 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

And now the Saudis want to try it, too.

TBH, I think Qatar have fucked it for them.

Qatar 'won' their bid on the basis of them hosting a summer competition. The WC has always been a summer festival of football. Then they were allowed to move it to winter and seriously interfere with the schedules of countless leagues around the world.

And for what?

Qatar's EVERYONE IS WELCOME bullshit has been exposed as just that. Utter bullshit.

There ain't gonna be anymore World Cups in the medieval desert.

ETA: Especially as many of the cunts who took Qatari bribes have since had their collars felt.

10 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

And now the Saudis want to try it, too.

I'm really curious to see what the Saudi's are thinking now about their bid.  Even FIFA must be thinking it may not be worth the hassle after all this drama.  Especially since they are saying it will be on in the winter again.  Hard to see people agreeing to that from the start.

And there is a joint Spain/Portugal/Ukraine bid.  While a Argentina/Chile/Paraguay/Uruguay bid is around too.  They should be reasonably competitive.

45 minutes ago, Padraig said:

I'm really curious to see what the Saudi's are thinking now about their bid.  Even FIFA must be thinking it may not be worth the hassle after all this drama.  Especially since they are saying it will be on in the winter again.  Hard to see people agreeing to that from the start.

And there is a joint Spain/Portugal/Ukraine bid.  While a Argentina/Chile/Paraguay/Uruguay bid is around too.  They should be reasonably competitive.

I'm ok with loads of countries hosting, even if it means they all automatically qualify (the South American qualifying group would be pretty weird with the above 4 nation hosts though). 

It reduces the unnecessary spend and never again used infrastructure for a start.

Archived