Football: The Winter Break

polishgenius

If they want to increase the teams at world cup, it should be to 8 groups of 5, with only top team going through to quarter finals.  Or the could just leave it the fuck alone because its pretty perfect now, same way 16 was perfect for the Euro's.  

I wouldn't have Rice for anymore than 35-40 million, though he may thrive in a bigger club with better players. 

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

You mean Chelsea.

That's the club that has shown the most interest in him for the past few years and where he's most likely to end up especially now with Jorginho and Kante likely leaving.

You are following United more closely than I do, but I seem to remember a lot of talk about United going for him and all that. Could be just press doing press things, but there could be more to it.

56 minutes ago, Padraig said:

Yekaterinburg is on the "Asian" side of Russia but I get what you mean.  There wasn't games on the East coast of Russia after all!

Yeah, Yekaterinburg is on the "Asian side" of Russia, but just barely. :lol:

10 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

If they want to increase the teams at world cup, it should be to 8 groups of 5, with only top team going through to quarter finals.  Or the could just leave it the fuck alone because its pretty perfect now, same way 16 was perfect for the Euro's.  

Well, World Cup had to grow significantly to get to 32 teams.

I do agree on the Euros though, with 24 being half the teams in Europe. The worst thing is, it's more than likely we see 32 teams Euros within our lifetimes.

50 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

If Uruguay started with this lineup against South Korea, they probably would have won the game. Too conservative coaches with great attacking talent is a waste

Got to imagine they will be back playing defence in their next game (assuming they qualify).   Some teams are very unwilling to give their strikers much of a chance.  Even if the results show how often it fails.  Poland being another example.  But they did just about qualify in the end.  

Anyhow, Ecuador did well for their first 2 games but faded badly when it mattered in their third.   Uruguay didn't do much in their first 2 games but played when it matter.

Uruguay were unlucky on the night but yes, their earlier results cost them.  Never mind, as mentioned, they could have tried harder for a third goal earlier. 

If Brazil do top their group, they will prefer to avoid Uruguay.  That could have been drama.  Not that S Korea will be easy.

One thing about the 2010 incident, I always imagined most professionals would have done the same thing as Suarez.  Suarez is just more brazen about it.

1 minute ago, Padraig said:

One thing about the 2010 incident, I always imagined most professionals would have done the same thing as Suarez.  Suarez is just more brazen about it.

Not most, ALL of them. Not only it was a purely instinctive reaction (you see there's another Uruguayan player trying to do the same), but any player that refused to do it would be seen as a traitor to their nation and hated forever.

Archived