Football: The Winter Break

polishgenius

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

That different countries have different footballing cultures and norms I would have thought was obvious.

Hopefully the BBC mainly focused on how Iran completely outclassed Wales.  I'd be surprised if commentary in other countries brought up "gamesmanship".  Silly comment.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I still don't get why people don't take more issue with this.

That decision was very clear though.  I can understand the frustration when its a very marginal decision but there was no debate there. 

On the other hand, FIFA has changed the offside rule previously.  It may do so again.

And yes, Belgium used up all their luck in the last game (like how Japan used up all their luck against Germany).  Belgium probably played better today (compared to against Canada) but lost this time.

6 minutes ago, Padraig said:

That decision was very clear though.  I can understand the frustration when its a very marginal decision but there was no debate there. 

On the other hand, FIFA has changed the offside rule previously.  It may do so again.

It was "very clear" only in the sense that you stop everything and squint to see. The commentators on my feed couldn't tell watching replays live without assistance which has basically been my complaint. 

And I think they should change the rule. The worst outcome is they decide it was a bad idea and go back to how it was before. Nobody is going to die over it.

53 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

No fucking way. 

Good as that second goal is, I feel the keeper should have it. One of those instances where you run backwards for your life instead of stopping and looking and losing your footing.

6 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Fair enough. I was being an ass. Thanks for pointing it out. 

Raja, I apologise. 

I shouldn't have said 'unhinged', I suppose it's the same as 'mad' and 'crazy' ( and I try not to use those words too), so I apologize.

The othering of brown people, & muslims specifically, is *everywhere* and I'm not Muslim but it's 100% done the way Klinsman does it in terms of calling it 'their culture'.

No, Brazilian press already revealed who is Neymar's replacement and it is the most obvious one: Fred. I say the most obvious one because starting with that line up against Serbia was uncharacteristic for Tite, who, like Southgate, is far too conservative for the players he has and had to be nearly coerced to pick Vinícius and only did so because he knew he would be eaten alive if Brazil played badly, let alone if he didn't win 

Archived