Football: The Winter Break

polishgenius

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Who'd have thought that the VAR crew at this World Cup would make the clowns running VAR in England look like world-leading geniuses?

Some truly bizarre decisions. 

what you talking about, it was at least a millimetre offside. 

1 hour ago, Darryk said:

There still would have been the issue of how they treat women and LGBT.

I mean there's a lot of issues at hand, but could we start with not making people slaves to build the stadiums and letting probably over 6,000 of them die?

1 hour ago, Padraig said:

I'm really curious to see what the Saudi's are thinking now about their bid.  Even FIFA must be thinking it may not be worth the hassle after all this drama.  Especially since they are saying it will be on in the winter again.  Hard to see people agreeing to that from the start.

And there is a joint Spain/Portugal/Ukraine bid.  While a Argentina/Chile/Paraguay/Uruguay bid is around too.  They should be reasonably competitive.

They can demand bigger bribes to push through an even more unpalatable tournament. 

Borjan is fucking useless.

10 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I'd like to know how they are generating these computer images showing attackers being an armpit-hair offside? 

I mean, it's not as if they're all running around, mo-capped up, like Andy Serkis circa 2001.

https://www.fifa.com/technical/media-releases/semi-automated-offside-technology-to-be-used-at-fifa-world-cup-2022-tm

1 hour ago, Padraig said:

I'm really curious to see what the Saudi's are thinking now about their bid.  Even FIFA must be thinking it may not be worth the hassle after all this drama.  Especially since they are saying it will be on in the winter again.  Hard to see people agreeing to that from the start.

And there is a joint Spain/Portugal/Ukraine bid.  While a Argentina/Chile/Paraguay/Uruguay bid is around too.  They should be reasonably competitive.

Ukraine with Portugal and Spain? That's maybe not ideal, though I suppose EURO 2020 showed it can be done. And of course, there is the question of what state will Ukraine be in politically and economically in the next 8 years.

By the way, the Saudi bid is apparently with Egypt and Greece. Turkey may be a better fit for such a bid instead of Saudi Arabia.

I like the South American possible bid. It will be winter there in June/July, and definitely not as hot as Brazil.

23 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

England (2000's) or Belgium (assuming they blow this). Which golden generation was more of a disappointment? 

England's 2000's were never as good as they were made out to be by the (British) media.

Belgium fell victim to France in the semi-final 2018. Narrow margins and stuff. They then won that meaningless game for third place against England. Euros last year was kinda disappointing performance wise, but they were again knocked out by the eventual winners (Italy). Only tournament they should really feel bad about was probably the Euros in 2016. Those were the tournaments you had them listed as potential winners. 

19 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

A 48 team tournament makes multinational World Cups inevitable 

The 3 teams per group, 48 nation format will almost certainly get binned after 2026 turns into an even worse WC than Qatar. 

There will be so much dross on display, it's gonna be embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

These multi national football tournaments need to get in the bin. 

Spain Portugal and Ukraine is absurd. Almost as absurd as Canada, USA and Mexico. 

Frankly having a tournament in the total US is bullshit. Pick a region at least. The closest venue to me is over a 6 hour drive and I'm not even going to Chicago.

Archived