Football: The Winter Break

polishgenius

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I can't feed rules to sharks! Honestly in that situation just let the player have a bit of fun. It's not like it matters.

Blame capitalism. And feed it to sharks.

Edit: Correction - Blame corporate overlords, and feed them to sharks.

People that didn't watch the game might think I'm overreacting, but I swear, if this was an elimination game, I don't think Bruno would have played for Brazil again. Pretty much every attack Brazil had once he entered the pitch passed through him, and he wasted all of them. Sometimes he was unlucky, but mostly just wasteful.

Also, we probably will have another team that lost a match in the first round winning (like Germany 1954/74, Argentina 78, Spain 2010), because only Netherlands and the teams from B and F arrive undefeated, and none of those look like winners.

The "remove shirt"-rule is - at this stage - just moronically stupid.

There are a few things that should get an automatic yellow. Kicking ball away after free kicks, for instance. Happens All. The. Time. Could be smacked down if one went "remove shirt" on them, but no. Instead of enforcing a rule that would speed the game up and remove quite a bit of bad sportmaship, we keep giving yellows for remvoing the shirt.

I'd say fix the time wasting first, then enforce shirts.

27 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

People that didn't watch the game might think I'm overreacting, but I swear, if this was an elimination game, I don't think Bruno would have played for Brazil again. Pretty much every attack Brazil had once he entered the pitch passed through him, and he wasted all of them. Sometimes he was unlucky, but mostly just wasteful.

Certainly nobody made a claim to start the next game.  Although, I presume Fred will. :)  They never really tore Cameroon apart at all.  Although they had chances.

Brazil can be relieved that they just about avoided second place also.  Right now, the big 4 teams are divided across the 4 quarters.  Brazil, Argentina, France and Spain.  If Brazil ended up in the same side as Spain and France, that would have been a very tough half of the draw.

Still, I would be shocked if all of those 4 make the semi-finals.  There are a few tricky teams around.

For the next game, if Neymar is fit, I imagine Paquetá is coming back to the place he played against Serbia.

Rodrygo is a player that I could see starting instead of Raphinha, he's certainly playing much better. However, as I pointed out, Tite is very resistant to change, unless it's forced upon him. Martinelli was Brazil's best player, but he usually plays in Vinicius' place.

Alright, haven't paid much attention to the Dutch this World Cup, but I fancy the US will make a good showing. Not sure about victory though. Pulisic is good to play after his 'pelvic contusion' (not kick to the goolies, as everyone is at pains to point out), and the Dutch are struggling with flu, so that may even things out a bit more.

Should actually be an exciting game.

Archived