Why is Sothoryos so ****ed up?

Ring3r

So....basically everything there can kill you.  There are wyverns, tons of exotic deadly animals, freaky hybrid animals, and every possible nasty disease.

There's also evidence that a culture with the ability to create oily black stone, like that of Asshai, spent some time there.

So, what is going on?  I've always thought it was kind of like the Island of Dr. Moreau....where the GEotD performed magical genetic experiments (obtaining wyverns to cross with fire worms, for example) because there are some really WEIRD things roaming around there that simply do not appear anywhere else.

Also...nobody has ever been able to explore very far inland without dying, except on dragonback, and you can't see anything through the jungle from up in the air.

So...what is this place?  What is hiding there?  Is it like the reverse of the lands of always winter?  It's a hot jungle....it's just....weird.  There are freaking velociraptors!

38 minutes ago, Tyrosh Lannister said:

Valyrians were immune to the deadly diseases due to their dragonblood.

I think the evidence for this is questionable.

2 hours ago, Ring3r said:

I've always thought it was kind of like the Island of Dr. Moreau....where the GEotD performed magical genetic experiments

I think it was either them or the Valyrians who did it.

2 hours ago, Ring3r said:

freaky hybrid animals

Sounds like experiments to me!

It's interesting is in our Earth the origin of mankind is in Africa, while Planetos' equivalent is virtually deserted and more jungle than savannah. The Summer Isles give a very different vibe than Africa.

So judging by the tales of K'dath and such mankind probably originated in Eastern Essos.

Or there was a really ancient migration from Sothoryos to the Jade Sea

The difference is mankind esp the ones who wielded magics  to push back the scarier shit in the west! 

Forrests were cut back, diseases survived and immunity built up , equaly scary shit like the others, giants ,krakens,  dragons , the old ones(things beneath the sea) wyrms etc all driven back or slowly died out due to the humans of westeros. Semi humans hunted to extinction (except the ibbenese who flourish )

Archived