House Clegane - genetics or growth disorder?

Canon Claude

2 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

I meant GRRM, my mistake 

GRRM never said that Brienne was a descendant of Dunk.

He only said that there was/were descendant(s) of Dunk in the series, and that he left a pretty big clue in FEAST.

I agree.  He did leave a pretty big clue in FEAST.  And it points to Dunk --> --> Bonifer --> Rhaegar --> Rhaegar's Children.

The supposed Brienne clue does not actually make sense IMHO.  But even if it does, GRRM did not confirm the theory.

And again, even if Brienne is a descendant of Dunk, the Cleganes are not ruled out as intermediate descendants.

10 hours ago, Alden Rothack said:

the answer for both is the same

bigger warhorses could be bred they just cost more, I presume they do so given that people like Briene, Duncan, Sandor and the Umbers ride often

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampson_(horse)

This is the heaviest horse I could find, I posted this a while back on the subject of Sandor’s prize.

From what I’ve found a horse can carry about %20 of it’s weight  so this one can carry roughly 300 kilos, Mountain alone is 190 kilos without the armor, shield, weapon and all these are massive as well, and the horse may have armor as well(Northern horses in Greenfork had).

How many such horses even exist in Westeros? Considering both the lifespan of average horse and the fact Mountain’s horses tend to have short life expectancy with all the fighting and tourneys, there should be many for Gregor to be able to operate as a knight. By the way this is disregarding the fact that this horse is a draft horse, not one for riding, especially to battle. What do they even do with so many huge horses considering there is only one Mountain that rides?

7 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampson_(horse)

This is the heaviest horse I could find, I posted this a while back on the subject of Sandor’s prize.

From what I’ve found a horse can carry about %20 of it’s weight  so this one can carry roughly 300 kilos, Mountain alone is 190 kilos without the armor, shield, weapon and all these are massive as well, and the horse may have armor as well(Northern horses in Greenfork had).

How many such horses even exist in Westeros? Considering both the lifespan of average horse and the fact Mountain’s horses tend to have short life expectancy with all the fighting and tourneys, there should be many for Gregor to be able to operate as a knight. By the way this is disregarding the fact that this horse is a draft horse, not one for riding, especially to battle. What do they even do with so many huge horses considering there is only one Mountain that rides?

if you can afford to feed them horses that can carry more gear are more useful, we also know that they were common enough before the Cleganes existed that Dunk could find a big enough horse as the squire of a hedge knight

5 minutes ago, Alden Rothack said:

if you can afford to feed them horses that can carry more gear are more useful,

I’m talking about horses that are used to ride to battle. Dunk is not a comparison to Gregor. 

By then Ser Gregor Clegane was in position at the head of the lists. He was huge, the biggest man that Eddard Stark had ever seen. Robert Baratheon and his brothers were all big men, as was the Hound, and back at Winterfell there was a simpleminded stableboy named Hodor who dwarfed them all, but the knight they called the Mountain That Rides would have towered over Hodor. 

10 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

I’m talking about horses that are used to ride to battle. Dunk is not a comparison to Gregor. 

No hes not but he managed to find a horse he could ride in battle despite being poor which suggests horses that Dunk sized men can ride are semi-common, if you have horses for a seven foot knight then breeding horses for an eight foot knight becomes a lot easier than if you only have horses for six foot knights

6 hours ago, Alden Rothack said:

No hes not but he managed to find a horse he could ride in battle despite being poor which suggests horses that Dunk sized men can ride are semi-common, if you have horses for a seven foot knight then breeding horses for an eight foot knight becomes a lot easier than if you only have horses for six foot knights

Most knights won’t even be six but that isn’t the point, taller =/= heavier. A few years back I had a girlfriend who was 185 cms, she was 50 kgs and only a bit skinny, a year later she gained 5 kgs and that skinniness was gone, I am exactly 10 cm shorter than her and was 73 kgs when we first met,  within a few months I dropped to 68-69 and was much skinnier than her at 50 kilos. Not all bodies are of the same type.

The problem with Gregor isn’t just his height, it is that he is so massive, tree trunks are compared with his limbs. 

meet world’s tallest person whose height isn’t the result of some pathological condition.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_MacAskill

He was reportedly 236 cm and in his early adulthood, weighed 230 kg. He is about the same height as Gregor but looking at his photo his size(again, not his height) is nowhere near Gregor’s description and yet he weighs 40 kilos more than what Gregor’s supposed to weigh so forget about that supposed 190 kgs and forget about readily finding horses for Gregor.

On 11/25/2022 at 2:04 PM, Corvo the Crow said:

Most knights won’t even be six but that isn’t the point, taller =/= heavier. A few years back I had a girlfriend who was 185 cms, she was 50 kgs and only a bit skinny, a year later she gained 5 kgs and that skinniness was gone, I am exactly 10 cm shorter than her and was 73 kgs when we first met,  within a few months I dropped to 68-69 and was much skinnier than her at 50 kilos. Not all bodies are of the same type.

The problem with Gregor isn’t just his height, it is that he is so massive, tree trunks are compared with his limbs. 

meet world’s tallest person whose height isn’t the result of some pathological condition.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_MacAskill

He was reportedly 236 cm and in his early adulthood, weighed 230 kg. He is about the same height as Gregor but looking at his photo his size(again, not his height) is nowhere near Gregor’s description and yet he weighs 40 kilos more than what Gregor’s supposed to weigh so forget about that supposed 190 kgs and forget about readily finding horses for Gregor.

I agree, they would have to be specially bred but it would be possible, I suspect Gregor is at least somewhat larger than his official weight would suggest, the problem is that the Hound is generally a match for his brother and thats already implausible at his official size and weight, the bigger you make him the less plausible it becomes

1 hour ago, Alden Rothack said:

I agree, they would have to be specially bred but it would be possible, I suspect Gregor is at least somewhat larger than his official weight would suggest, the problem is that the Hound is generally a match for his brother and thats already implausible at his official size and weight, the bigger you make him the less plausible it becomes

And how many generations would this breeding program take? Is Tywin a Bene Gesserit breeding Kwisazts Horserach?

8 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

And how many generations would this breeding program take? Is Tywin a Bene Gesserit breeding Kwisazts Horserach?

less than it took to create warhorses in the first place, as I said if you have horses for seven foot men then breeding horses for an eight foot man is a lot easier

Tywin might not have completed it either as Gregors horses seem to have a death wish,

Archived