Future dragonriders

Tyrosh Lannister

7 hours ago, Tyrosh Lannister said:

Who do you think will ride Rhaegal and Viserion?

The Tattered Prince will ride Viserion.  It might not be the same Tattered Prince, though.  Just another non-descript man wearing the distinctive mantle.  This will cause the Windblown to switch sides during the battle of Meereen.  We might not find out, in WINDS, the rider's true identity.

Penny may end up riding Rhaegal for a while.  Until Rhaegal eats her.  She is a maiden after all. 

Loras Tyrell will ride the stone dragon, actually a dragon with advanced greyscale, re-awakened by blood magic and human sacrifice.  He will serve Young Griff.   However, YG will bring out his dragon too soon, and lose it, as foreshadowed by the prophesy of the cyvasse board.  That will probably be the end of Loras as well.

Rickon will ride the dragon of Skagos, who is either Cannibal or its hatchling.

Jon will ride the dragon from the crypts of Winterfell.

Euron's "gift" to Victarion is a poisoned gift, and Dragonbinder won't work out how Victarion thinks.  Victarion will never ride a dragon, but I think Dragonbinder will allow someone to claim a dragon.  Euron himself... even though he is a continent away?  Perhaps Moqorro?  I don't like the idea of a magic horn that steals dragons (or a magic horn that collapses a 700-foot ice wall), but I also think Dragonbinder is not just a red herring.  Victarion is a POV character for a reason, and not just to provide Dany ships back to Westeros.

Jon will be a dragonrider.  I fully believe R+L=J, and not necessarily because I want to believe it, but because the story seems to make that clear.  I think it is likely that there are still dragons in Westeros (Sheepstealer and Silverwing are unaccounted for, and who would believe the "crazy" hill tribes if they claimed that a fire lizard lived in their mountains?).  I think there is a good chance that Jon will ride one of them or their hatchlings rather than Dany's dragons.

If Jon gets a Westerosi dragon, that leaves one other of Dany's dragons.  Maybe Ben Plumm will ride them (the book went out of the way to demonstrate that the dragons like him), or maybe Euron/Vicatarion/Moqorro/whomever will steal both dragons in Meereen?

I don't think you need Targaryen/Valyrian blood to ride a dragon, though, so it could be anybody who tames Rhaegal or Viserion with some sheep.

Of course, I have no idea who the riders will be.  I hope the dragonriding in the last two books will be minimal, since I am not overly invested in the dragon part of the story.  WIth 5 books of character development and political intrigue, I don't want the last two books to make a drastic shift and suddenly turn into a story about endless dragon battles.  I don't think that is likely to happen, fortunately.

2 minutes ago, Tyrosh Lannister said:

Jon or Tyrion will not ride a dragon

Tyrion riding Viserion should (and to be fair generally has) have been long understood, when the series was much smaller, there was no internet to dissect theories and text search engines, the foreshadowing was rather more straight-forward, and GRRM named and coloured the dragon for him.

1 minute ago, chrisdaw said:

Tyrion riding Viserion should (and to be fair generally has) have been long understood, when the series was much smaller, there was no internet to dissect theories and text search engines, the foreshadowing was rather more straight-forward, and GRRM named and coloured the dragon for him.

He is not Aerys's son. Viserion will be controlled by Weirwood magic. When Tyrion is playing cyvasse with the dragon piece, its described as being white with red veins.. so it will be controlled by weirwood magic

5 minutes ago, Tyrosh Lannister said:

He is not Aerys's son. Viserion will be controlled by Weirwood magic. When Tyrion is playing cyvasse with the dragon piece, its described as being white with red veins.. so it will be controlled by weirwood magic

lol ok.

6 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

That seems rather arbitrary.  I think it is merely a case of Tyrion fans wanting their boy to get the better dragon, who they imagine to be Viserion.  But Tyrion and Rhaegal are both vicious.  And green is the color of envy, and Tyrion has that in spades.

Just now, Gilbert Green said:

That seems rather arbitrary.  I think it is merely a case of Tyrion fans wanting their boy to get the better dragon, who they imagine to be Viserion.  But Tyrion and Rhaegal are both vicious.  And green is the color of envy, and Tyrion has that in spades.

yeah arbitrary :rolleyes:. It certainly wasn't Tyrion fans who puzzled together that Tyrion would ride a dragon and it would be Viserion (before he ever pockets a cream dragon piece ffs), Tyrion fans tend to be hostile to the theory.

"Plate and scale, I think. The scales gilded bright as the sun, the plate enameled a deep Lannister crimson. I would suggest a demon's head for a helm, crowned with tall golden horns. When you ride into battle, men will shrink away in fear."

Arbitrary too I suppose.

Aegon rides Rhaegal, Aegon and Dany fight the second dance of dragons, it is greens vs blacks.

9 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

yeah arbitrary :rolleyes:. It certainly wasn't Tyrion fans who puzzled together that Tyrion would ride a dragon and it would be Viserion (before he ever pockets a cream dragon piece ffs), Tyrion fans tend to be hostile to the theory.

I'll wager against the theory.  I don't think Tyrion is going to have anything to do with Viserion.

He might have something to do with Rhaegal, not necessarily as a dragonrider.

9 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

Aegon rides Rhaegal, Aegon and Dany fight the second dance of dragons, it is greens vs blacks.

Aegon rides Viserion.  Faegon rides nobody.  He is Faegon, after all.  There may be a dragon on his team, but he won't be riding it himself.

1 hour ago, Gilbert Green said:

I'll wager against the theory.  I don't think Tyrion is going to have anything to do with Viserion.

He might have something to do with Rhaegal, not necessarily as a dragonrider.

Aegon rides Viserion.  Faegon rides nobody.  He is Faegon, after all.  There may be a dragon on his team, but he won't be riding it himself.

Compelling stuff, not at all arbitrary.

Archived