Star Wars: a story for every fan? (Andor Spoilers)

Ser Scot A Ellison

Started to go back a page or two to see about the conversation on Andor I missed and just skimmed through it in 30 seconds realizing it was just all sequel trilogy rehash.  Guess I'm REALLY late, but yeesh.

Anyway, on the blue milk thing, yeah, it's heavily emphasized in the Syril scenes with his mom.  I thought the cereal with the milk was pretty funny too.  Looked like a fruity pebbles/fruit loops version of Kix.  Which..I would totally buy.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Started to go back a page or two to see about the conversation on Andor I missed

This whole thread basically started after the finale, I think, and is back to being a more general Star Wars thread.

If you're interested in getting a sense of the discussion as the show started airing and how it evolved/devolved as it continued, the first post from someone talking about the show after the initial three episodes is here, which then leads to this thread  which carries through the finale (I think this is the first post-finale post). I must say it quickly devolves into some nonsense, though.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Silly question… I’m seeing lots of glowing reviews of Andor from fans sites… is interest growing by word of mouth or are the “pew pew” dorks still trashing the show as “too slow”?

The negative voices were a very small group to begin with. It's just word-of-mouth winning people over to give it a chance.

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

This whole thread basically started after the finale, I think, and is back to being a more general Star Wars thread.

Yeah I should have realized that just by the date of when this thread started - and kinda did - just felt like making fun of the annual rehash.  Tis the season!

Thanks for the links though.  Pretty useful considering you really can split up episodes 1-3 and 4-6.  They are very distinct arcs, basically a movie and its sequel.  Gets a bit hazier in the second half of the season, but the structure's still generally there.

5 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Silly question… I’m seeing lots of glowing reviews of Andor from fans sites… is interest growing by word of mouth or are the “pew pew” dorks still trashing the show as “too slow”?

no idea what the "dorks" are saying but Andor is making people's top ten show lists, and even placing first on some of them. Was listening to Sam Esmail praising the crap out of Andor and Tony Gilroy on The Watch podcast the other day. Andor was #6 on his list, and #1 on the two co-hosts lists for top shows of 2022.  

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Where are these ‘dorks’ that keep getting cited? Where do they exist?

I’m seeing them in comments to glowing articles mostly.  Even had one claim Derdra was a “woke” character because she’s a strong woman talking down to men.

I’ve loved Star Wars to death since I was a kid. And I will continue to love it forever, but Andor continues down the same path as all the Disney era productions have and I am beginning to worry. 

All their major films and television shows have been dedicated to the imperial era. Even their sequel trilogy just rehashed the dynamic between the imperials and rebels with the First Order and the Resistance. 

The setup is the same in every rendition with a homogeneous all powerful security apparatus vs. a rag tag organization. Even if the central conflict is different per story, the background diminishes Star Wars into a one note universe with the same morals retold a hundred different ways. 

I get the obsession comes from fan backlash to the prequels, but I think the scope of Lucas’s vision and the Galaxy itself has a degree of political diversity best realized in the republic era. It’s not just about petty politics or succession schemes, but the actual identity of the Jedi and Sith. Their ideologies are at the core of what Star Wars is, and as long as the Jedi are a repressed group and the Sith are just extensions of the emperor the narrative potential behind these philosophies are rarely explored. 

My favorite piece of Star Wars media is Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords and like the prequel era having a corrupt political system with decentralized power and a fully realized order of Jedi and Sith puts their own teachings into question and opens the door to greater stories with far more emotional depth. 

And I don’t just blame Disney, I also blame the older fan base whose nostalgia has crushed the evolution of this universe, and Andor despite its high quality is just another example of their looming shadow. 

28 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Youtuber Star Wars Theory is probably the highest profile content creator whom I've seen to not be particularly in love with the show. He agrees the show is well produced and acted, but in his view it doesn't feel like a SW creation.

I suspect peoples vision of what Star Wars is, would be connected to how old they are and what bits of Star Wars they enjoy.

Personally Andor is the most Star Wars thing I’ve seen since.. Star Wars. That’s because this is the vision of the universe I always wanted. 

To others it might be Aliens and lightsabers and crazy planets .. Clone Wars kind of thing. That just doesn’t vibe with me. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Youtuber Star Wars Theory is probably the highest profile content creator whom I've seen to not be particularly in love with the show. He agrees the show is well produced and acted, but in his view it doesn't feel like a SW creation.

Not enough “pew pew” and poop jokes?

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I noticed on twitter the youtuber "Nerd Theory" shitting on it.  And people shitting on him for proclaiming he wouldn't review it but nevertheless talking non-stop about it incessantly.

"Nerd Theory" is a podcast co-hosted by the Star Wars Theory guy and a guy who runs "Den of Nerds", the latter of whom I just learned about today because he was enmeshed in making claims that James Gunn intensely disliked Henry Cavill or something, claiming he had "sources", that led Gunn to directly denying it and then mocking the guy by claiming he had his own sources saying the guy still lived in his mother's basement..

So they're basically closely associated and share similar opinions. Digging around on Reddit, though, the "Star Wars Theory" guy basically says Andor is good but then nitpicks it and says it's not for him (which is fine in itself), but then he amplifies the "Den of Nerds" guy who seems to be something of a troll with a huge pro-Marvel and anti-Lucasfilm thing going on.

8 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I suspect peoples vision of what Star Wars is, would be connected to how old they are and what bits of Star Wars they enjoy.

Personally Andor is the most Star Wars thing I’ve seen since.. Star Wars. That’s because this is the vision of the universe I always wanted. 

To others it might be Aliens and lightsabers and crazy planets .. Clone Wars kind of thing. That just doesn’t vibe with me. 

I don't think that's entirely true. I mean, sure, folks tend to stick to stuff they watch in childhood and all, but Star Wars was always more than just the first movie. And it was quite clear from the start that a story about end of the Republic and the fall of Anakin Skywalker would be very different from the OT.

It was also always a rather broad brand if you include the books, comics, games, etc.

The Andor show does a great job at depicting life of the average human population under the yoke of the Empire, and it fleshes out the motivations of a certain class of people to join the Rebellion ... but Star Wars as a setting was always more than the underdog good guys against the menacing fascist regime.

While I certainly agree that the PT should have been more a Shakespearean tragedy for an adult audience and less a trilogy for children, the great thing about those movies is that they made Star Wars much broader and complex on the big screen.

(By comparison, the silly ST movies added zero new aspects to Star Wars, neither visually nor conceptually. That is best emphasized by the fact that they literally brought back the rotting corpse of the big bad from the OT, not to mention using props like Vader's mask as religious relics to give the movie(s) more substance.)

I guess older people may cherish the slow pacing of Andor more since that is indeed somewhat reminiscent of the slow pacing of ANH (I like that too, to a point, but it is very much outdated these days). Telling the first half hour of that movie completely from the point of view of the droids is something one better not repeat. It was a clear and obvious mistake to cut Luke's scenes with Biggs and his other buddies - not just for reasons of pacing but also to better establish Luke and the Rebellion and the Empire.