"Grey lips smiling sadly" - Dany and Euron marriage - spoilers for the Forsaken chapter

The Sleeper

"Her silver was trotting through the grass, to a darkling stream beneath a sea of stars. A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly. A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness. . . . mother of dragons, bride of fire . . ." Clash of Kings

It has been long speculated that the bolded phrase refers to a Greyjoy. The "Forsaken" chapter has provided some definite context. The corpse is Aeron and the ship is Silence, as he is tied at the prow of said ship, probably as some sort of sacrifice. Her silver was a gift by Drogo, her husband and there is the phrase "bride of fire" accompanying this set of prophecies. It looks like it is referring to Dany's spouses. 

In short, this hints at Euron and Dany hooking up with Euron. From a less mystical perspective it also makes sense in a number of ways. Dangerous, assertive, bold, he is her type. She wouldn't be aware of his background in any detail. He could entice her with tales of Valyria, has mystical knowledge and artifacts and could potentially be a dragon rider, through the horn, making her predisposed to trust him. 

It looks like there's going to be a wedding. 

5 hours ago, Tyrosh Lannister said:

Question is how will she trust him? He has sent Victarion to collect her and her dragons. Vic is about to blow dragonbinder and the dragons will be his. Dany will not like this. 

Well, I’d say you’re right that dany wont trust him and she’d be creeped out as anyone would just seeing Euron, but it’s Euron who would likely control the dragons or a dragon if the horn is blown as he is the owner. Victarian was told he wouldn’t have to blow the horn himself as whoever owns the horn would gain control. So while this is speculation, if the advice is correct it’s still Euron’s horn that Victarian is carrying for him.

will be interesting how Dany journeys west though. Whether with Victarian or if he’s dead by then and she either takes over his fleet or the Volantenes. Lots of ships available though.

She will match with Euron but that's not what the vision is specifically about. They're not people she will marry, though she might marry Euron, she won't marry Jon.

They're those who will second life Drogon. Drogo's horse related and the Silver he gave her represented wings (he has given me the wind), so his second life as Drogon is a flying dragon she can ride. When Euron second lifes Drogon he will first have to sacrifice his human self, hence why he's dead and at the prow in the position he puts other sacrifices. Smiling sadly because on one hand he's dying, on the other he's going to get a second life. Instead of flying it will become a sea dragon (eventually), a kraken, hence the boat -a sea faring vessel. The grey lips are because he will have greyscale and the lips are what he'll blow the horn with, which will be how the second life process happens.

Drogo second lifed the dragon and became Drogon. Euron will repeat the process and Drogon will become the stone beast. Dany will determine Jon is the last person in the vision and believe she needs to repeat the process again with him to turn the stone beast back into a dragon, that is wake the dragon from stone.

11 hours ago, The Sleeper said:

"Her silver was trotting through the grass, to a darkling stream beneath a sea of stars. A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly. A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness. . . . mother of dragons, bride of fire . . ." Clash of Kings

It has been long speculated that the bolded phrase refers to a Greyjoy. The "Forsaken" chapter has provided some definite context. The corpse is Aeron and the ship is Silence, as he is tied at the prow of said ship, probably as some sort of sacrifice. Her silver was a gift by Drogo, her husband and there is the phrase "bride of fire" accompanying this set of prophecies. It looks like it is referring to Dany's spouses. 

In short, this hints at Euron and Dany hooking up with Euron. From a less mystical perspective it also makes sense in a number of ways. Dangerous, assertive, bold, he is her type. She wouldn't be aware of his background in any detail. He could entice her with tales of Valyria, has mystical knowledge and artifacts and could potentially be a dragon rider, through the horn, making her predisposed to trust him. 

It looks like there's going to be a wedding. 

I beg to differ on the interpretation.  You see, the vignettes though unpleasant show potential suitors and those who want to marry Daenerys.  The theme of A Dance With Dragons dominate these depictions of desires.  Silver carried Daenerys to her first time at love with Khal Drogo.  The marriage gave her the Dothraki, Rhaego, and the Dragons.  Fate removed Drogo as soon as his usefulness was no longer needed.  The ship of death is Aeron and he carries another potential suitor.  However, I do not think Aeron is dead.  What is dead may never die and that is exactly who Aeron is.  He will thwart Euron's plans.  Victarion is also another Greyjoy who is trying to thwart Euron.  So the chances of Euron succeeding is very, very low.  He will die and meet his end as soon as he has provided Daenerys with what she needs.  Ships. Any marriage, if there is one, will only happen if Daenerys has no other way to acquire ships.  The Wall is another vehicle containing a potential suitor.  In this it is Jon Snow, the soon to be Ice King and King of the Wildlings.  Night's King if you prefer.  Jon can offer Daenerys the North.  Another necessity since it appears it will be the location of the battle between Light and Dark.  Jon is incapable of leading this fight and must pass control of the North to save the North. 

6 minutes ago, Tai Pan said:

He will die and meet his end as soon as he has provided Daenerys with what she needs.

I forgot that the author will dispose of all characters once they are no longer useful to Daenerys.

7 minutes ago, Tai Pan said:

Jon is incapable of leading this fight and must pass control of the North to save the North. 

Why is Jon incapable?

13 hours ago, Mad King Bolton said:

Well, I’d say you’re right that dany wont trust him and she’d be creeped out as anyone would just seeing Euron, but it’s Euron who would likely control the dragons or a dragon if the horn is blown as he is the owner. Victarian was told he wouldn’t have to blow the horn himself as whoever owns the horn would gain control. So while this is speculation, if the advice is correct it’s still Euron’s horn that Victarian is carrying for him.

will be interesting how Dany journeys west though. Whether with Victarian or if he’s dead by then and she either takes over his fleet or the Volantenes. Lots of ships available though.

It is not explained how he becomes the owner of this horn. He or his mutes found it in Valyria or stole it off the Warlocks from Qarth. But even after he gets the horn.. how does euron becomes its owner? Does he etch his name on the horn or something?

And once this horn is blown, will the dragons immediately fly west thousands of miles away to Euron

2 hours ago, Tyrosh Lannister said:

It is not explained how he becomes the owner of this horn. He or his mutes found it in Valyria or stole it off the Warlocks from Qarth. But even after he gets the horn.. how does euron becomes its owner? Does he etch his name on the horn or something?

And once this horn is blown, will the dragons immediately fly west thousands of miles away to Euron

IIRC Moqorro tells Victarion that, when the horn is blown, the dragons will be bound to whomever the blower is sworn to. That will be Vic, not Euron.  But is Vic sworn to Euron? And if so, will the horn perform a two-level binding to give the dragons to Euron?

It seems to me that the horn is a gigantic question mark. No one knows for sure what will happen when it is blown. Moqorro read the inscription on the horn, but the words are pretty vague. He seems to know more about it than anyone else; but he may not be telling everything he knows, in order to further his own mission.

I don't know how the horn works. I don't think Euron does either, he seemed kind of surprised the his man who blew it the first time died. And unless there are more glyphs inscribed that Moqorro didn't bother telling us about, the instruction manual kind of sucks. Victarion is sort of his canary in the mine for Euron, I think.

He obviously has agents among the Iron Fleet. The dusky woman is one. It would be plausible for him to have a glass candle, through the Qartheen warlocks, so he could be monitoring the situation that way. We still have a lot of way to get there. But this prophecy seems like it's a plot point Martin is aiming for. There is separate foreshadowing for him riding a dragon in the Forsaken chapter, too. 

Dany won't be marrying for ships. He doesn't have enough and want be taking them east in any case. That's what the Volantenes are for. He might be able to offer her sea power on the other hand, which she will need to get her people across. 

The other topic about Mirri Maz Duur made me realise that there are some common elements between the birth of the dragons. Namely, the sacrifices. There is Falia Flowers, standing in for Drogo, Euron's unborn child instead of Rhaego and a priest, Aeron in place of Mirri Maz Duur. The way he spreads the rest of the priests, one per ship among his closest allies, instead of having them all on the Silence, suggests that they are meant to protect the ships form the spell. Which in itself suggests that Mirri's sacrifice played a similar role. 

25 minutes ago, The Sleeper said:

The other topic about Mirri Maz Duur made me realise that there are some common elements between the birth of the dragons. Namely, the sacrifices. There is Falia Flowers, standing in for Drogo, Euron's unborn child instead of Rhaego and a priest, Aeron in place of Mirri Maz Duur. The way he spreads the rest of the priests, one per ship among his closest allies, instead of having them all on the Silence, suggests that they are meant to protect the ships form the spell. Which in itself suggests that Mirri's sacrifice played a similar role. 

Nice catch, I didn't notice that before. Dany was in the middle of the pyre I think and as you said she was 'shielded' 

On 11/27/2022 at 5:37 PM, The Sleeper said:

I don't know how the horn works. I don't think Euron does either, he seemed kind of surprised the his man who blew it the first time died. And unless there are more glyphs inscribed that Moqorro didn't bother telling us about, the instruction manual kind of sucks. Victarion is sort of his canary in the mine for Euron, I think.

He obviously has agents among the Iron Fleet. The dusky woman is one. It would be plausible for him to have a glass candle, through the Qartheen warlocks, so he could be monitoring the situation that way. We still have a lot of way to get there. But this prophecy seems like it's a plot point Martin is aiming for. There is separate foreshadowing for him riding a dragon in the Forsaken chapter, too. 

Dany won't be marrying for ships. He doesn't have enough and want be taking them east in any case. That's what the Volantenes are for. He might be able to offer her sea power on the other hand, which she will need to get her people across. 

The mute who blows the horn has his insides burn. Which makes me think ordinary humans are not meant to blow it. It was to be blown by Valyrians. It'd be funny if Euron is warged into the dusky woman while Vication is pumping away

I wonder how will he ride a dragon? We dont know how the horn works - for all we know whoever blows the horn gets a dragon bound to him but then the person dies because it burns him from inside. Once hes dead the dragon will be unbound/free.

On 11/27/2022 at 2:37 PM, The Sleeper said:

True Euron doesn’t have a lot to offer aside from ships but every ruler needs their fleet. He’s just too suspect and creepy AF. Nobody would advise her to marry into that. As you’ve said, the Volanteen fleet seems most likely for transportation but will depend on what a left of it if the dragons get ring going on it along with Victarian. I think in the end, Vic will have defeated the Volanteens and taken what’s left of the ships so he will have some leverage for a deal. Especially haven come and aided Dany’s side despite being outnumbered.

6 hours ago, Mad King Bolton said:

True Euron doesn’t have a lot to offer aside from ships but every ruler needs their fleet. He’s just too suspect and creepy AF. Nobody would advise her to marry into that. As you’ve said, the Volanteen fleet seems most likely for transportation but will depend on what a left of it if the dragons get ring going on it along with Victarian. I think in the end, Vic will have defeated the Volanteens and taken what’s left of the ships so he will have some leverage for a deal. Especially haven come and aided Dany’s side despite being outnumbered.

Victarion doesn't even plan to fight the Volantenes. They've got six times at the least his ships and probably each of them is largest than his largest vessel. Even a dragon can only do so much. They are not Balerion. 

The Volantene fleet is not going to be defeated. They are crewed by slaves and carry slave soldiers who are also predominantly followers of R'hlor. The set up is for the fleet to rebel for Dany.

As for Euron he is creepy to the readers. In world he is charming and charismatic. I have little speculation as to how or why Euron and Dany will marry other than the prophecy. 

15 hours ago, The Sleeper said:

Victarion doesn't even plan to fight the Volantenes. They've got six times at the least his ships and probably each of them is largest than his largest vessel. Even a dragon can only do so much. They are not Balerion. 

The Volantene fleet is not going to be defeated. They are crewed by slaves and carry slave soldiers who are also predominantly followers of R'hlor. The set up is for the fleet to rebel for Dany.

As for Euron he is creepy to the readers. In world he is charming and charismatic. I have little speculation as to how or why Euron and Dany will marry other than the prophecy. 

Why haven't the slaves already rebelled ? Dany is far away in the dothraki sea . Do they really need her to be physical present at the battle to rebel ? By the time dany comes back to mereen the battle will be long over 

On 11/25/2022 at 11:35 PM, The Sleeper said:

The corpse is Aeron and the ship is Silence, as he is tied at the prow of said ship, probably as some sort of sacrifice.

Maybe.  But "standing on the prow of a ship" evokes a very different image in my mind than "tied to the prow of a ship".

On 12/2/2022 at 8:32 AM, The Sleeper said:

Well, we know he is plotting to marry her.  He all-but says as much. 

The marriage won't go off though.  She will flee from the marriage they have made for her, dressed in grey.  Her silver will be dying by the she reaches the God's Eye, which will be frozen over.   There she will find a new mount, because three mounts must she ride.  That's two more prophesies fulfilled.

22 hours ago, Tyrosh Lannister said:

Why haven't the slaves already rebelled ? Dany is far away in the dothraki sea . Do they really need her to be physical present at the battle to rebel ? By the time dany comes back to mereen the battle will be long over 

For all we know they already have. 

18 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

Is it worth noting that Euron's lips are blue, not grey, due to his Shade of the Evening consumption?

Euron is not tied to the prow of silence, Aeron is. 

18 hours ago, Gilbert Green said:

Maybe.  But "standing on the prow of a ship" evokes a very different image in my mind than "tied to the prow of a ship".

That’s a fair point. It is close enough, though. After all, I doubt that a literal blue flower will blossom from the Wall. 

Archived