The Forbidden Topic

King_Tristifer_IV_Mudd

Some off-the-wall possibilities:

Jon Snow and Meera Reed.  Jon is into Arya-types and Meera fits that bill.  I expect Jon and Bran will reunite, and since Meera is with Bran, they will have a chance to meet.  I can see Meera being interested in her prince's brother, and Jon in his brother's protector.

Arya and Edric Dayne or Podrick Payne.  Gendry is the popular ship, but I don't see it.  I think Gendry would be put off by the age and class differences, and turn down any advances from Arya.  I think someone closer in age and background is more likely.  I see her with a squire type and she seemed to like Edric the short time she knew him.  Her age could be an issue for readers as well.  Someone her own age is easier to swallow.

Brienne and Ser Hyle.  Admittedly unlikely, but he does seem to really like and respect her, which is kind of rare.  She could do worse.

I just love the Ned and Ashara tragedy (eat your heart out Romeo and Juliet). I know it’s a long shot but I love thinking they were at least in young love with each other, and outside circumstances led to tragedy. And then Ned used it to help hide Jon’s identity.

I also like the idea of Theon and Jeyne Poole ending up together.

46 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Arya and Edric Dayne or Podrick Payne.  Gendry is the popular ship, but I don't see it.  I think Gendry would be put off by the age and class differences, and turn down any advances from Arya.  I think someone closer in age and background is more likely.  I see her with a squire type and she seemed to like Edric the short time she knew him.  Her age could be an issue for readers as well.  Someone her own age is easier to swallow.

Yes this is possible. His aunt fell for her father, why not her and him also.

Too many characters to deal with so I'll just list the 20 living POV characters.  "Shipping" isn't usually my thing, which might be demonstrated by the fact that I'd prefer half of them to remain single.

From north to south, then west to east:

• Bran Stark: No one during the time of this story, seeing as how he's 10 years old and alone in an isolated cave.  Meera is too old for him.  After he's older and after the story ends (if he's still "Bran" and not a greenseeing wizard void of humanity), just a common girl we haven't met yet.
  • Melisandre: No one.
  • Jon Snow: With the true purpose of the Night's Watch finally being realized and no longer being a racist anti-Wilding organization, it is probably time to update their vows.  And with Jon's death and predictable resurrection, his vows might no longer apply anyway, but I rather he remain committed to celibacy.  But if he does end up with somebody: anybody but Daenerys.
  • Asha Greyjoy: She has three contenders who are all seemingly nice guys: Tris Botley (too pure for this world, and most certainly too pure for Ironborn), Qarl (her partner of choice, but she himself finds him unsuitable for his "low birth"), and Justin Massey (possibly only because he wants power through marriage, or because she's nearly the only woman for miles away, but he seems like a nice guy).  I like Tris the most, but maybe he deserves a more "innocent" girl than Asha.  If Asha is serious about making a cross-cultural peace with the mainland, Justin Massey might be the best choice.
  • Theon Greyjoy: Having a non-romantic "companion" would be a nice ending for him.  Maybe the captain's daughter, who was inexplicably enchanted by him, gave birth to his child and he can kind of get a somewhat happy ending with a non-traditional family.
  • Davos SeaworthMarya Seaworth.  His wife is already the "best woman in the world".
  • Aeron GreyjoyNo one.  Drowned priests are married to their drowned god.
  • Sansa StarkGendry Waters.  A throwback to Robert's desire for his son to marry Ned's daughter.  Gendry is a legitimately nice guy, and having been living as a bastard, Sansa no longer has a condescending elitism toward bastards.
  • Brienne Tarth:  Of the men she's interacted with, Hyle Hunt.  He's not perfect and his prank against her was cruel, but they mutually (and secretly) care for each other.  Brienne might think she likes Jaime, but it's not her job to try to make him a better person.
  • Jaime LannisterNo one.  The guy has been fornicating with his psychopathic twin sister his entire life.  It's good that he finally broke that spell, but he's not capable of having a healthy relationship with anyone else at this point.  He doesn't deserve Brienne.  And he's in the kingsguard anyway.
  • Cersei LannisterNo one.  There's nobody I hate enough to wish Cersei upon them, but Euron Greyjoy would be a perfect match for her in a mutually evil way.
  • Jon Connington: No one.  The guy has greyscale.
  • Samwell TarlyGilly.  They are perfect for each other.  Night's Watch vows and maester vows and all that... but with fire and ice apocalypses coming from the east and north, it might be time to rethink which vows are important and which aren't.
  • Arianne MartellYoung Griff.  Politically they make sense, and I think they would like each other as much as can be expected.
  • Areo HotahNo one.  He is married to duty, and he needs no other wife.
  • Arya Stark:  No one, for now.  When/if she gets out of the clutches of the Faceless Man, maybe someone she can relate to and would not oppress her wild nature.  Edric Dayne, perhaps.  Gendry is too old for her, and they should remain just friends.
  • Victarion GreyjoyNo one.  A man who beats his wife to death should never go near another woman again.
  • Tyrion Lannister: No one.  He's a vile woman-hating misogynist who only uses them for his pleasure.
  • Barristan Selmy: No one.  He's a queensguard, and though I said maybe those vows need to be re-visited for Sam, Jon, etc., Barristan thinks honor and blind loyalty are the same thing.  He would be extremely hypocritical to ever have a relationship.
  • Daenerys Targaryen:  I want to say "anybody but Jon Snow", but I think her "three mounts to ride" prophesy is about lovers.  If that is the case, she already reached her maximum and she will have no new lovers, so I would say Daario Naharis.  I despise the guy, but he is a perfect match for Dany after she embraced "fire and blood" at the end of ADWD.

2 hours ago, StarkTullies said:

Aeron Greyjoy digs Falia Flowers.   Both are in a dark place right now, and most think they are doomed.  But I would get a huge kick out of it if Euron somehow survived, kicked Euron back to hell, took the Seastone Chair, and made Falia his queen.

• Arianne MartellYoung Griff.  Politically they make sense, and I think they would like each other as much as can be expected.

I agree that this will happen.  But I don't particularly want it to in a "shipping" sense of the word.  And I don't think it will end well.

Too many characters to deal with so I'll just list the 20 living POV characters.  "Shipping" isn't usually my thing, which might be demonstrated by the fact that I'd prefer half of them to remain single.

From north to south, then west to east:

• Bran Stark: No one during the time of this story, seeing as how he's 10 years old and alone in an isolated cave.  Meera is too old for him.  After he's older and after the story ends (if he's still "Bran" and not a greenseeing wizard void of humanity), just a common girl we haven't met yet.
  • Melisandre: No one.
  • Jon Snow: With the true purpose of the Night's Watch finally being realized and no longer being a racist anti-Wilding organization, it is probably time to update their vows.  And with Jon's death and predictable resurrection, his vows might no longer apply anyway, but I rather he remain committed to celibacy.  But if he does end up with somebody: anybody but Daenerys.
  • Asha Greyjoy: She has three contenders who are all seemingly nice guys: Tris Botley (too pure for this world, and most certainly too pure for Ironborn), Qarl (her partner of choice, but she himself finds him unsuitable for his "low birth"), and Justin Massey (possibly only because he wants power through marriage, or because she's nearly the only woman for miles away, but he seems like a nice guy).  I like Tris the most, but maybe he deserves a more "innocent" girl than Asha.  If Asha is serious about making a cross-cultural peace with the mainland, Justin Massey might be the best choice.
  • Theon Greyjoy: Having a non-romantic "companion" would be a nice ending for him.  Maybe the captain's daughter, who was inexplicably enchanted by him, gave birth to his child and he can kind of get a somewhat happy ending with a non-traditional family.
  • Davos SeaworthMarya Seaworth.  His wife is already the "best woman in the world".
  • Sansa StarkGendry Waters.  A throwback to Robert's desire for his son to marry Ned's daughter.  Gendry is a legitimately nice guy, and having been living as a bastard, Sansa no longer has a condescending elitism toward bastards.
  • Brienne Tarth:  Of the men she's interacted with, Hyle Hunt.  He's not perfect and his prank against her was cruel, but they mutually (and secretly) care for each other.  Brienne might think she likes Jaime, but it's not her job to try to make him a better person.
  • Jaime LannisterNo one.  The guy has been fornicating with his psychopathic twin sister his entire life.  It's good that he finally broke that spell, but he's not capable of having a healthy relationship with anyone else at this point.  He doesn't deserve Brienne.  And he's in the kingsguard anyway.
  • Cersei LannisterNo one.  There's nobody I hate enough to wish Cersei upon them, but Euron Greyjoy would be a perfect match for her in a mutually evil way.
  • Jon Connington: No one.  The guy has greyscale.
  • Samwell TarlyGilly.  They are perfect for each other.  Night's Watch vows and maester vows and all that... but with fire and ice apocalypses coming from the east and north, it might be time to rethink which vows are important and which aren't.
  • Areo HotahNo one.  He is married to duty, and he needs no other wife.
  • Arya Stark:  No one, for now.  When/if she gets out of the clutches of the Faceless Man, maybe someone she can relate to and would not oppress her wild nature.  Edric Dayne, perhaps.  Gendry is too old for her, and they should remain just friends.
  • Victarion GreyjoyNo one.  A man who beats his wife to death should never go near another woman again.
  • Tyrion Lannister: No one.  He's a vile woman-hating misogynist who only uses them for his pleasure.
  • Barristan Selmy: No one.  He's a queensguard, and though I said maybe those vows need to be re-visited for Sam, Jon, etc., Barristan thinks honor and blind loyalty are the same thing.  He would be extremely hypocritical to ever have a relationship.
  • Daenerys Targaryen:  I want to say "anybody but Jon Snow", but I think her "three mounts to ride" prophesy is about lovers.  If that is the case, she already reached her maximum and she will have no new lovers, so I would say Daario Naharis.  I despise the guy, but he is a perfect match for Dany after she embraced "fire and blood" at the end of ADWD.

You don’t ship Sansa with Jon, Petyr, Sandor, Tywin or Margaery, then?

Gods know I'm no expert on this subject.  But here's my peculiar take on it, based on little hints sprinkled through the story.

Sansa and the Hound: for all his vulgarity and violence, he always managed to show a gentle side towards her.  I'm assuming that he's still alive, of course, based on the description of the gravedigger on the Quiet Isle.  His time there will help him to bring out his kinder nature.  And she kept his white cloak after he abandoned the Kingsguard.

Brienne and Jaime: another example of two people who started out hating each other, but whose relationship improved with time.  He dreamed of her, and then he jumped into a bear pit to save her.  Also, he was "oddly" aroused when he saw her naked in the bath house at Harrenhal, even though she's no beauty in the conventional sense.  Perhaps, after a lifelong affair with one of the most beautiful women in the realm, he's had enough of that shallow beauty, and is ready to appreciate a woman with more depth of character.

Dany and a good pyre. That lunatic with weapons of mass distraction(Qartheen garbs) should be dealt with before she causes more destruction to the world order. Not to mention she caused enough distraction as is with the Meereenese knot, someone, namely Sandor, should untangle it Gordion’s not style.

2 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Fire cannot kill a dragon. Or can it? Or is Daenerys not a dragon?

Was Viserys or the previous Targaryens (who were also purer Valyrians than Dany btw) who died due to wildfire or met other fiery deaths not dragons? Also if I recall, one of the things GRRM admitted to have done wrong about the first book(along with the whole seed is strong subplot) was the Dany and fire thing. 

Archived