How will they get into Winterfell ?

How do you think that Stannis and his army, as well as the northmen who joined him, or the Starks and their followers in the unlikely scenario whete the Pink Letter's content is true, will get into the Bolton-occupied Winterfell ? 

Which are the means possible for Stannis and/or Jon to bypass Winterfell's strong defenses and get inside without a bloody assault on the walls or a siege that are far more likely to fail than succeed ? 

Which ruses and/or secret ways could be used for that purpose ?

54 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

There is a point made that only grey beards and old lords are present, Roose asked for the heirs but none came.

The Northems present in Winterfell are the ones that go away in winter to die.

The northems inside will kill the boltons and open the gates.

So who is Barbrey’s heir?

1 hour ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

How do you think that Stannis and his army, as well as the northmen who joined him, or the Starks and their followers in the unlikely scenario whete the Pink Letter's content is true, will get into the Bolton-occupied Winterfell ? 

Which are the means possible for Stannis and/or Jon to bypass Winterfell's strong defenses and get inside without a bloody assault on the walls or a siege that are far more likely to fail than succeed ? 

Which ruses and/or secret ways could be used for that purpose ?

Stannis knows the Karstarks are working for the Boltons, but the Boltons don't know he knows.  He will probably coerce the Karstark commander to help him.  My guess is they show up at Winterfell with Stannis's sword and a head that looks like his claiming to have won.  The men will be mostly Stannis's though.  Once inside they can try to take over or open the gate, not sure which.

what nevets says.

stannis et al will wipe out the freys when the manderly force behind them changes sides mid battle and the Karstarks don't turn against stannis as expected.

so stannis will be able to dress his troops in frey colors. and they will return with the manderleys and the karstarks and trick their way into winterfell.

much of the pink letter is false, but at the time he writes it Ramsey believes it to be true.

We know that castles in Westeros, as well as here on real-life Earth, often have a secret exit.  It's usually an underground tunnel that extends some distance from the castle, so that in the event of an attack, the inhabitants can escape through the tunnel and emerge outside the enemy forces.  An exit is also an entrance; and its location might be known to family members, friends, and close allies of House Stark.  It's been suggested that this was the real reason why Lady Dustin wanted to visit the crypts:  she knew that the secret tunnel connected to them, and she wanted to make sure that the access was not blocked.

The secret entrance could be used to smuggle in a small number of men, late at night when everyone is in bed except for a few sleepy guards.  These men could kill or disable enough guards to open a gate, and allow a larger force to enter.

1 hour ago, Aebram said:

We know that castles in Westeros, as well as here on real-life Earth, often have a secret exit.  It's usually an underground tunnel that extends some distance from the castle, so that in the event of an attack, the inhabitants can escape through the tunnel and emerge outside the enemy forces.  An exit is also an entrance; and its location might be known to family members, friends, and close allies of House Stark.  It's been suggested that this was the real reason why Lady Dustin wanted to visit the crypts:  she knew that the secret tunnel connected to them, and she wanted to make sure that the access was not blocked.

The secret entrance could be used to smuggle in a small number of men, late at night when everyone is in bed except for a few sleepy guards.  These men could kill or disable enough guards to open a gate, and allow a larger force to enter.

Is this the secret entrance Theon didn't use to take Winterfell?  Or perhaps it's the one Ser Rodrick didn't use to take back Winterfell.  Or maybe it could be the one Maester Luwin failed to use to sneak Bran and Rickon out.  If that's the secret entrance you are referring to, I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist.

6 hours ago, Aebram said:

There might be a secret entrance, but I don't think that anybody outside of the Starks know about it or its location. 

And I think that the primary reason why Barbrey Dustin went to the crypt with Theon was to see if there were swords missing and so an indication that the Stark and Reed kids hid here.

21 hours ago, Nevets said:

Is this the secret entrance Theon didn't use to take Winterfell?  Or perhaps it's the one Ser Rodrick didn't use to take back Winterfell.  Or maybe it could be the one Maester Luwin failed to use to sneak Bran and Rickon out.  If that's the secret entrance you are referring to, I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist.

Theon was a hostage, the son of a defeated rebel.  It's plausible that he was never told about the secret passage.

Maester Luwin knew that Theon didn't burn Bran and Rickon; but he didn't know they were still in Winterfell until they told him (AGOT 69).

Ser Rodrik, admittedly, is harder to explain.  When he attempted to take Winterfell back from Theon, he wouldn't have been able to use the secret passage without revealing its location to a number of other people, some of whom may have been of questionable loyalty.  Or maybe he just had a stricter notion of honor, and preferred to fight in the open rather than sneak around in the dark.  He might have considered the secret entrance to be something he should save as a last resort.

16 hours ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

And I think that the primary reason why Barbrey Dustin went to the crypt with Theon was to see if there were swords missing and so an indication that the Stark and Reed kids hid here.

Why would she have any reason to suspect that the kids had been there? No one in Westeros knew that they had hidden in the crypts ... unless you think Maester Luwin is still alive, and told someone how they escaped?

7 hours ago, Aebram said:

Why would she have any reason to suspect that the kids had been there? No one in Westeros knew that they had hidden in the crypts ... unless you think Maester Luwin is still alive, and told someone how they escaped?

Wex Pyke knows, he saw them come out of the crypt, and he wrote it to Wyman Manderly and Robett Glover. Barbrey Dustin, who might be in touch with them must have wanted to verify upon inspecting the swords as a proof of the Stark kids having been there. 

1 hour ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Stannis will gallop up the gates and burn them with Lightbringer in his left hand and pissing with his right all the while Southron and Northmen alike shout STANNIS! STANNIS! STANNIS!

I know a lot of people want this to happen, sadly I must report that this proposed scenario is unlikely to occur for the following reasons:

1. The Snow is very thick, so Stannis can't exactly gallop through it.
  2. Stannis' Lightbringer is a fake, so can't actually produce any heat.
  3. Stannis would presumably use his right hand to wield his sword.
  4. Stannis would never piss himself in the middle of a battle.

1 hour ago, Craving Peaches said:

I know a lot of people want this to happen, sadly I must report that this proposed scenario is unlikely to occur for the following reasons:

1. The Snow is very thick, so Stannis can't exactly gallop through it.
  2. Stannis' Lightbringer is a fake, so can't actually produce any heat.
  3. Stannis would presumably use his right hand to wield his sword.
  4. Stannis would never piss himself in the middle of a battle.

1. The snow will melt before his fiery heart just as Jon Snow melted before his fiery personality.

2. Mel can burn a few to heat things up, swordwise.

3. Stannis is probably right handed, yes, this is to show how effortless this is for him.

4. I agree, he is a decent person but exceptions can be made.

In fact, I'll go ahead and add one more thing, to show how this whole affair is beneath him, challenge wise, he'll probably not gallop with his horse but sprint with his horse at his back, having the cart before the horse style! Redrahlooists will burn captured Boltonists for him in sacrificial fires while the Old Gods followers will do so with cutting captured Freys necks with bronze sickles to water weirwood saplings they've just planted all the while chanting his name as if he was Muad'dib taking over the Golden Lion Throne of the Corrinos, Padishah-Emperors of the Known universe. After these are all said and done, there will probably be a new religion formed revering him as a god, taking elements from both Old Gods and Redrahlooism.

30 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

1. The snow will melt before his fiery heart just as Jon Snow melted before his fiery personality.

Ok.

30 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

2. Mel can burn a few to heat things up, swordwise.

What about the distance between where she is and where Stannis is? Also I'm concerned about the quality of the sacrificial offerings available. I just don't think Bowen Marsh and co. will cut it.

32 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

all the while chanting his name as if he was Muad'dib taking over the Golden Lion Throne of the Corrinos, Padishah-Emperors of the Known universe.

But Jon is Maud'dib...

Archived