Ukraine Forever

DireWolfSpirit

Boeing proposing 100 mile precision missiles that can be abundantly loaded onto HIMARS mobile launch systems.

They are running low on other inventory to send these fighters trying to fend off the stubborn Putin invaders.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/100-mile-strike-weapon-weighed-ukraine-arms-makers-wrestle-with-demand-sources-2022-11-28/

46 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Boeing proposing 100 mile precision missiles that can be abundantly loaded onto HIMARS mobile launch systems.

They are running low on other inventory to send these fighters trying to fend off the stubborn Putin invaders.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/100-mile-strike-weapon-weighed-ukraine-arms-makers-wrestle-with-demand-sources-2022-11-28/

I am all for sending Ukraine more ammunition.

However, giving the current Boeing administration any contract through a price discovery waiver is asking to be screwed on price, quality, and delivery time.  And most particularly price.

24 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Are republicans going to stiff aid to Ukraine once in power in the house?

I cannot imagine by any measure that being even a kind of winning proposition by the time it was done.

What am I missing?

42 minutes ago, JGP said:

I cannot imagine by any measure that being even a kind of winning proposition by the time it was done.

What am I missing?

The Ukrainians are Nazi Communists. They were even verified on Twitter - elite Liberal scum! They need to be stopped and who better to stop communists than our old Soviet pals - those old rascals! 

2 hours ago, JGP said:

What am I missing?

It would be beneficial to the democrats to be able to say they supported Ukraine and kept doing so. Therefore Republicans should oppose it.

While on the one hand, Republican national politicians may be taking Russian money and spouting their talking points, I can't think of a more deeply-ingrained Republican reflex of almost three-quarters' century of habituation than firing up the military industrial complex to blow up Russian stuff.

It takes some serious mental discipline for your average Republican to convince himself that opposing the Russians militarily is a bad idea.  So while Trump or Space Laser Lady might parrot the Russian line, it isn't going to be a likely tactic to win elections with the majority of the base.

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

While on the one hand, Republican national politicians may be taking Russian money and spouting their talking points, I can't think of a more deeply-ingrained Republican reflex of almost three-quarters' century of habituation than firing up the military industrial complex to blow up Russian stuff.

It takes some serious mental discipline for your average Republican to convince himself that opposing the Russians militarily is a bad idea.  So while Trump or Space Laser Lady might parrot the Russian line, it isn't going to be a likely tactic to win elections with the majority of the base.

This used to be true - and for the older Republicans it still likely is - but for newer Republicans who are taking Russian money and going on RT that's not at all the case. They don't want to oppose Russia; they want to become like Russia. Russia represents a future obtainable goal, similar to Hungary. Things like democratic rule and diversity are specifically things they oppose. 

10 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I think a fair number Republican military veterans are unlikely to stop the support. And given how close the midterms were, I imagine that support for Ukraine will continue through 2024. 

I certainly hope so.

Was pleased to visit parents for Thanksgiving and see my dad flying the Ukrainian flag off his front deck. He is committed to waiving that flag until Putin is defeated.

I had read some anecdotal stuff on Twitter and such about war support among traditional military vets who normally vote republican. Point was that this is a war that they can legitimately get behind and feel proud of the support they give. For people who grew up sons and duaghters of WW2 vets that’s likely a powerful motivator. After Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan and countless dirty wars this is a conflict that they can support their ideal of US fixing stuff around the world. (Even if that is misguided in ways) If you believe US should be the police for the world then fighting the Russians is a good thing to rally behind.

In spite of losing the House there are no question a majority of congresspeople who will still vote for Ukraine if given the opportunity.  Most Republicans want to keep that MIC money flowing, and this is a great excuse.  The only question is if the leadership doesn't allow that to stick it to Biden.  We don't know the answer to that question, because we don't even know who will be leading the Republican Caucus in the House yet, and how much power they will end up having. 

They won't have enough for that. Bets.

Julia Ioffe shared this earlier:

I don't know how accurate it is, and Julia has bias [as should we all]. Could be of interest. Any resident Russian speakers? 

The makes sense. I read Russia is like 60% apathetic, 20-25% war supporters, 15-20% dissenters. Putin has made it a thing to make that first group big since it helps keep him in power. He just has to balance their support with making the core base happy. First group is fine with war as long as it doesn’t effect then. If it does though then yeah they’re going to want it ended.

They just don’t want their quality of life affected. Aka leave them alone and let them live their life in ignorance. You make them happy by just not puncturing their bubble. You make them unhappy by changing their life. Sanctions probably do help but not enough. Drafting these people or people they know I would guess is a major nono which is why they draft so many soldiers from Siberia or the various Central Asia provinces.

Archived