Your ASOIAF Hot Takes

King_Tristifer_IV_Mudd

9 hours ago, James Steller said:

Cersei and Jaime are half-Targaryens; Jaime slew his own father without knowing it.

I like this one, but I don't like the Tyrion theory.

9 hours ago, James Steller said:

They wouldn't have needed the Tyrells if Robb had declared the North and Riverlands for Stannis. Then with Renly on hand, that means the Stormlands join in too. Plus Loras would never abandon Renly, and I doubt Mace would ever risk getting his son killed, so he'd likely sit it out and wait to see who became king. The Vale just does what it does before, and Tywin's stuck dealing with three and a half regions of Westeros without any allies.

For Robb to declare for Stannis I think you would also need Stannis himself to declare earlier. Otherwise, even if Renly does nothing, Robb won't know what Stannis intends. So the Greatjon may still try his bid for independence. Also, Renly can't declare for Stannis without Stannis himself declaring earlier, for the same reason - he won't know what Stannis is planning on doing.

I also think the Tyrells are overrated by the fandom. They’re fun to read about, but they’re not political geniuses so much as just extremely lucky. They should have suffered after the Dance (for sitting it out) and Robert’s Rebellion (for backing Aerys and failing to win a single battle) but didn’t because the winning kings decided to be extraordinarily merciful. The Lannister alliance falls into their lap. Olenna and Margaery both make snide remarks about the twincest around Cersei, despite their claim to power relying entirely on Tommen being a legitimate Baratheon. Kevan actually has to explain to Mace that if Cersei loses her trial, Tommen will be revealed as a bastard and therefore both he and Margaery will lose their crowns. If Robb Stark had the Tyrells’ luck, he would have conquered all of Westeros and defeated the Others and landed himself a mansion in Pento free of charge.

Stannis will become king and out of the 5 or so kings, is probably the best suited for the job. Yea he's not perfect, no one in this series is and you can find a few dozens flaws with him if you look for them, but the fact that he's the only king in the series taking the threat of The Others seriously has earned him my respect.

Tywin is possibly the worst Hand in the series and uses getting results through stuff like baby killing, to justify why he's such a "great hand". He's better than Ned mind you, but the fact that he seems to only know how to solves problems through violence, really brings him down for me.

3 hours ago, sifth said:

Stannis will become king and out of the 5 or so kings, is probably the best suited for the job. Yea he's not perfect, no one in this series is and you can find a few dozens flaws with him if you look for them, but the fact that he's the only king in the series taking the threat of The Others seriously has earned him my respect.

Tywin is possibly the worst Hand in the series and uses getting results through stuff like baby killing, to justify why he's such a "great hand". He's better than Ned mind you, but that fact that he seems to only know how to solves problems through violence, really brings him down for me.

Trumpets will blow all around, loud and brazen, accompanying the cries of ecstacy and tears of joy, blood will flow through slashes of bronze sickles watering weirwood saplings and fire will roar burning the wicked who are half bled, all the while people, human and giant, great lord and small folk, chant holding hands Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS! He has come to unite the realm with love and meritocracy, he may even find in that big fiery heart of his to forgive the Others all their wrong doing and accept them into the fold if they repent. One People! One Realm! One fu… One King!

7 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I also think the Tyrells are overrated by the fandom. They’re fun to read about, but they’re not political geniuses so much as just extremely lucky. They should have suffered after the Dance (for sitting it out) and Robert’s Rebellion (for backing Aerys and failing to win a single battle) but didn’t because the winning kings decided to be extraordinarily merciful. The Lannister alliance falls into their lap. Olenna and Margaery both make snide remarks about the twincest around Cersei, despite their claim to power relying entirely on Tommen being a legitimate Baratheon. Kevan actually has to explain to Mace that if Cersei loses her trial, Tommen will be revealed as a bastard and therefore both he and Margaery will lose their crowns. If Robb Stark had the Tyrells’ luck, he would have conquered all of Westeros and defeated the Others and landed himself a mansion in Pento free of charge.

I suspect GRRM has some big reveals in store with the Tyrells, including the Redwyne twins Horror and Slobber. There's no way their 'failing upwards' can be down to pure luck. 

Littlefinger and Varys have very strong plot armors.

After all PB told many people that he had slept with 2 daughters of mafia boss and those women are nowadays married with even stronger bosses. So Littlefinger should either have had fatal accident or just disappeared when any Arryn, Stark or Tully heard about what Petyr talked about taking v-card of those ladies. In fact I assume that Ned's best friend would not have been very happy about hearing that rumor either.

Varys as spymaster of Mad King doomed many people to death. So there should be many surviving relatives and friends of those victims of Varys who would want revenge those by killing Varys. Those potential enemies should not have been problem for his as long as A II was still alive. But when Targs were gone there should have been many people among victorious rebels who wanted his head removed from his body.

Euron Greyjoy and the Ironborn can't hope to conquer or hold Oldtown, they don't have the numbers, siege weapons and discipline to do so knowing Oldtown's defenses, number of defenders and the coming of reinforcements led by Garlan Tyrell. 

What Euron truly wants is in the Citadel or the Hightower and he intends to leave as soon as he has the thing he wanted to find here before he can be trapped. 

Long food descriptions are very good worldbuilding. 

They let you know what food each house has access too. Therefore, with the exception of imported foods, you know what plants and animals grow where. For example, when Wyman brings "Whitefish and winkles, crabs and mussels, clams, herring, salmon, lobster, and lampreys" to a feast in Acok, that gives you an idea of the ecology of the Bite and White Knife, without  having to set a chapter there

I love threads like this.

1: Tywin is not that good of a politician. He was way too quick to use violence and ended up gaining more enemies than friends who are ready to pounce on his family once he died (Dorne, Riverlands and etc.).

2: Aeron Greyjoy is actually a very interesting character. Victarion and Asha are also great. Theon goes without saying.

3: Renly and Stannis are both too stubborn. Renly should have bended the knee to Stannis. Stannis should have swallowed his pride and actually made an attempt at making friends/being nicer instead of just expecting people to submit to someone they dislike (and I like Stannis).

Archived