Your ASOIAF Hot Takes

King_Tristifer_IV_Mudd

Mance Rayder (with his shadowcat clawed cloak) is responsible for the catspaw assassin who tried to kill Bran.

Robert's visit to Winterfell was an opportunity for him to gain access to Winterfell, not the reason for the visit. He was there to look for something in the Winterfell Library, which contained rare ancient (flammable!) texts, and led Mance to digging for something in the Frost Fangs after his return north.

The catspaw assassin was simply an attempt to take advantage of the situation he found in Winterfell by causing dissention in the south before a Wildling invasion.

"Aye, and long before them came the Horned Lord and the brother kings Gendel and Gorne, and in ancient days Joramun, who blew the Horn of Winter and woke giants from the earth. Each man of them broke his strength on the Wall, or was broken by the power of Winterfell on the far side . . . but the Night's Watch is only a shadow of what we were, and who remains to oppose the wildlings besides us? The Lord of Winterfell is dead, and his heir has marched his strength south to fight the Lannisters. The wildlings may never again have such a chance as this. I knew Mance Rayder, Jon. He is an oathbreaker, yes . . . but he has eyes to see, and no man has ever dared to name him faintheart."

A Clash of Kings - Jon III

All of the Iron Born POV's are very interesting characters. Euron is probably being set up as the final villain, for after The Others are defeated. GRRM loves The Scouring of the Shire, so we're going to get that in some form or another.

4 hours ago, sifth said:

All of the Iron Born POV's are very interesting characters. Euron is probably being set up as the final villain, for after The Others are defeated. GRRM loves The Scouring of the Shire, so we're going to get that in some form or another.

I agree regarding the Scouring of the Shire. I disagree that Euron is going to outlive the Others. He is the closest the books will ever get to having a Night King. He'll throw his lot in with the Ice Boys, and will have to be dealt with along with them. It is Danaerys who I believe will be the final antagonist. I trust GRRM to have a better ending than the incompetant mush Ding and Dong gave us.

The entire world would have been a better place if everyone just listened to Catelyn.  Like from the very, very beginning.  Like fostering Ned's bastard at Castle Hornwood or something.  Or, if Lysa had not put Tyrion on trial.  Or, if Robb had not sent Roose Bolton. Or if Renly had agreed to convene a great council. Or, if Robb had honored her negotiated marriage pact with the Freys. Or, if Robb had agreed to negotiate for Sansa and use her to ally with the Tyrells.

7 hours ago, Daena the Defiant said:

The entire world would have been a better place if everyone just listened to Catelyn.  Like from the very, very beginning.  Like fostering Ned's bastard at Castle Hornwood or something.  Or, if Lysa had not put Tyrion on trial.  Or, if Robb had not sent Roose Bolton. Or if Renly had agreed to convene a great council. Or, if Robb had honored her negotiated marriage pact with the Freys. Or, if Robb had agreed to negotiate for Sansa and use her to ally with the Tyrells.

Catelyn is the reason why Robb picked Roose as the commander of half of his army. Robb wanted to pick the Greatjon, but Catelyn felt he wasn't suited for the job, but if nothing else the Greatjon is as loyal as they come.

Daenerys is Azor Ahai reborn and Jon is Nissa Nissa reborn. And I think Azor Ahai is actually the BSE and the NK. 

Azor Ahai/Bloodstone Emperor sought magic power on par with his predecessors and sacrificed his sister wife to gain magic power, cracking planetos’ second moon. Debris from the moon caused the Long Night and he gained power of ice turning him into the NK.

Jon will be resurrected to lead the Others into the south and will be “defeated” by Dany. But Jon will return to his non other self, and be revealed as a Targaryen and throw a wrench into her plans. 

The knights of the Kingsguard are knights before they are guards of the king, and the vows they made when knighted are just as if not even more important that the vows they made when joining the KG. 

This is why Aemon the Dragonknight was the best kingguard who ever lived, and why the other members of Aerys' kingsguard disgraced themselves more than Jaime as they had forsaken their knight oaths while keeping obeying to Aerys and Rhaegar. 

2 hours ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

The knights of the Kingsguard are knights before they are guards of the king, and the vows they made when knighted are just as if not even more important that the vows they made when joining the KG. 

This is why Aemon the Dragonknight was the best kingguard who ever lived, and why the other members of Aerys' kingsguard disgraced themselves more than Jaime as they had forsaken their knight oaths while keeping obeying to Aerys and Rhaegar. 

When it comes to King Aerys' Kingsguard Gerold Hightower's placement at the Tower of Joy is decidedly the most mysterious. The king sends him to find Rhaegar, Arthur, Oswell, and Lyanna and for some reason Gerold stays at the Tower of Joy while Rhaegar leaves to command the army that gets taken out at the Trident; Hightower at the least would have been relied on as a commander, having taken command of the armies of Westeros during the War of the Ninepenny Kings after Lord Ormund Baratheon was killed. And then what we see of Rhaegar's performance as a commander, he does rather poorly considering he had the high ground and chose to leave it to engage Robert rather than take a defensive position and pepper the rebels with arrows as they struggle to cross.

On 11/29/2022 at 1:27 PM, Craving Peaches said:

I don't know if these qualify as hot takes or not since most people I've read online would agree. But if Renly sided with Stannis the Tyrells wouldn't necessarily join him in which case the war isn't just over like that.

true tbh, considering how mace helped renly just out of greed and how their most important bannermen has his heirs under lannister rule i could very well see him supporting the lannisters instead or not support anyone
then again, if such a thing happened, the lannisters would probably be finished with Robb quicker, or not, who knows

Archived