Willow TV Series

Corvinus85

1 hour ago, Darryk said:

Something tells me this will be another of those series where the title character becomes the supporting character for a "strong female lead".

The original movie also had a strong female lead, who just happened to be a newly-born baby, a novel choice for the time (Willow is too passive to be considered the lead and Val Kilmer kind of flits in and out of the movie and is too dumb to really be the lead, so it's the baby people).

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The original movie also had a strong female lead, who just happened to be a newly-born baby, a novel choice for the time (Willow is too passive to be considered the lead and Val Kilmer kind of flits in and out of the movie and is too dumb to really be the lead, so it's the baby people).

I'm pretty sure Willow is the lead, and the baby is the McGuffin. 

I really think this is cheesy enough that you can just criticize those parts of it rather than needing to complain about women getting narrative focus in 2022. 

After 2 episodes it also seems pretty clear Willow is still one of the main characters, just not the entry point for trying to get people to to speed on the setting. 

7 minutes ago, Relic said:

5 minutes into it and teenagers are acting very 2022. Turned it off. I'm kinda sad.

Nah bro, don't.

Yes, there's an anachronous part to it.

Willow is still himself. His relationship with magic is still odd, same with his relationship with Elora. These visions he had, I wonder if we'll get more of that in detail and how long it went on. Was this a very long period, out in the wilds. Jade is a captivating character no doubt helped along Kellyman. Look at Kit, a pretty decent split on Sorsha and Mads. Airk, we fortunately don't have to deal with. Yet. And Elora, if this is straightforward. How deep did Willow see, how many permutations? 

Boorman, even what's his face that guy from that thing. I chuckled when their chaperone got led offscreen as quickly as he did.

It's paying respect to the source. If it moves on with that acknowledgment and gets deep into a tale, I could totally be down for that.        

10 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I feel like I'm getting gaslighted into believing the original Willow was a good movie! I could tell it wasn't good even as an 8 year old

So you’re saying your opinions have been wrong from a very early age?  What were you into at 8 that your opinion remains? Thundercats?  Scarface?  Bakshi FotR? The taste of your own boogers? 

I’ll be checking it out - I enjoyed the movie and it was one of the only fantasy movies from my youth I’m happy to share with my kids - it’s not groundbreaking or a classic but it was an original and all-ages appropriate fantasy adventure that seem pretty uncommon nowadays.   My dad made me a custom Madmartigan Halloween costume when I was 7-8….

8 hours ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

So you’re saying your opinions have been wrong from a very early age?  What were you into at 8 that your opinion remains? Thundercats?  Scarface?  Bakshi FotR? The taste of your own boogers? 

I mean I watched Robocop when I was 10 so think I had a lot of exposure!

But funnily enough yeah I remember even back then having a decent idea of what movies were good and bad and even when rewatching them years later its only in some cases where my opinion has changed massively.

Like Labyrinth is still brilliant and may well be better now I see what else was around at the time. Dark Crystal I always felt never really connected with me, still think the same (though I liked the Netflix show a lot). I knew Conan the Barbarian was better than Destroyer and better than Red Sonia. Beastmaster was total shit. I watched Bakshi FotR a lot, but I always kind of hated it because the Orcs man.. those fucking orcs. 

I suspect though that had there ever been a properly made D&D style fantasy movie, I'd have loved it no matter what. It just never really happened. If I was younger would I have liked the Jeremy Irons D&D movie? Maybe and that would throw my theory out.

10 hours ago, Relic said:

5 minutes into it and teenagers are acting very 2022. Turned it off. I'm kinda sad.

This was as far as I got. It was pretty unbearable.

I have to say that I am fond of Willow, but ... it isn't really a good film, much less a great one. It's fun, though, and is greatly lifted by Val Kilmer's performance as Madmartigan, by the sparks that are practically flying off the screen in the scenes he has with Joanne Whalley (they met during production that started in like March-April 1987, were married by March 1988 before the film even released in May!), and by James Horner's adventurous score.

13 hours ago, karaddin said:

I really think this is cheesy enough that you can just criticize those parts of it rather than needing to complain about women getting narrative focus in 2022. 

Where's the fun in that?

19 hours ago, Werthead said:

The original movie also had a strong female lead, who just happened to be a newly-born baby, a novel choice for the time (Willow is too passive to be considered the lead and Val Kilmer kind of flits in and out of the movie and is too dumb to really be the lead, so it's the baby people).

Wrong, Burglekutt is clearly the lead and the man in charge. 

Definitely going to check this out and at least give it a chance.

22 hours ago, Darryk said:

Something tells me this will be another of those series where the title character becomes the supporting character for a "strong female lead".

Nope, but of course Elora Danan will be the lead character in that show, considering her ultimate destiny is basically the only justification for a sequel there.

I really like Sorsha's daughter, though.

21 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I'm pretty sure Willow is the lead, and the baby is the McGuffin. 

She has aspects of that in the movie, of course, but she also does things.

I think the humor is certainly modernistic, but not worse than the original Willow humor.

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I have to say that the prince has the most wonderful hair i've ever seen.  How does he get it so bouncy?

Don't hate him because he's beautiful.

On 11/30/2022 at 9:26 PM, Werthead said:

Nah. Sorsha is the strong female lead of the original movie. Hers is the lead story: the hero establishing independence from and overcoming their evil parent to save the world. The innovative aspect of Willow, that made it stand out, was telling the story from the point of view of the sidekick. Willow is a very unconventional character to be the lead but very much a typical sidekick character of the time.

Elora Danan, as someone else noted, is the MacGuffin.

Anyway, watching this, it's fun. It has an impressive cast, especially Erin Kellyman as Jade who is all kinds of awesome. I'm enjoying Tony Revolori as Graydon as well.

There is some silliness and some off notes.

Spoiler

Jorgen, a character at least three of those present have known since they were children, gets killed and nobody reacts to this at all. Like, I know at the time they were fleeing, but there's nothing afterward - nobody so much as remarks on his death. Also, they're off on a quest and nobody has any luggage? It all appears mysteriously when they camp but there's not so much as a saddlebag when they travel, let alone a pack animal.

I do like that they just went ahead and told you that Dove is Elora in episode 1. It was either her or Jade and it was becoming increasingly obvious that it was her.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Nah. Sorsha is the strong female lead of the original movie. Hers is the lead story: the hero establishing independence from and overcoming their evil parent to save the world. The innovative aspect of Willow, that made it stand out, was telling the story from the point of view of the sidekick. Willow is a very unconventional character to be the lead but very much a typical sidekick character of the time.

Elora Danan, as someone else noted, is the MacGuffin.

I think Sorsha had that potential but it is totally wrecked by her falling in love with Val Kilmer's character immediately and going from playing second fiddle to her mother to General Kael to Kilmer. She sort of pretends to have agency but in practice has very little.

Archived