Willow TV Series

Corvinus85

• 3 weeks later...

It has taken me forever to just get through the first episode... (and two of my family members dropped the show after 20 minutes). I ... want to like it. I will finish it, but it's not well written. I enjoyed Solo and Jonathan Kasdan seems to have a decent resume, but lifting jokes from Young Guns II and dropping it into Willow is just lazy. (Azay! is an ancient Navajo word that means "Stop".) 

I'll keep watching as the movie was a childhood favorite. But Disney needs to step up quality control.

I've stuck with it and quietly, it's got a lot better.

Make no mistake, it's not for everyone. It's all about the characters, for me. I love them.

If you like a show where character A tries to tell character B about their feelings, but character B is really not into the conversation, as all the while in the background characters C, D and E are engaged in a comedy brawl with a surprisingly articulate group of trolls, you'll enjoy this.

If you enjoyed Solo, though, there's nothing to be done for you, I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

I've stuck with it and quietly, it's got a lot better.

Make no mistake, it's not for everyone. It's all about the characters, for me. I love them.

If you like a show where character A tries to tell character B about their feelings, but character B is really not into the conversation, as all the while in the background characters C, D and E are engaged in a comedy brawl with a surprisingly articulate group of trolls, you'll enjoy this.

Agree. The nostalgic part of me was starting to despair, but it has been improving like you say. In fact, the latest episode was my favorite so far. Parabolic trajectories with most of the characters, especially Warwick, excluding Boorman. Kind of building a low key mystery around Madmartigan's disappearance too. Everyone is levelling up with only the one, so far, unearned with Graydon.

I'm back in.    

Even though the music covers at the end feel out of place, the Black Hole Sun cover was very well done and fit the episode tonally.

I was in bed sick yesterday, so I watched through episode 4. It's growing on me. Not enough to recommend, but I do like the collection of characters. And the way they play how Willow's reputation post-original adventure outpaced what really happened. I love those angles to stories.

The latest episode did drop the ball on something I liked in the earlier episodes.

Spoiler

Willow was originally sparingly using his magic because it cost him too much and he was afraid he didn't have enough "juice" in him for the main fight. Then in this episode he goes on a pew-pew-pew montage with Elora for her training. sigh

It's grown on me as well. It's definitely cheesey as hell, but that can be a stylistic choice and the rest of it is working well enough I'm enjoying the characters and looking forward to the new episodes.

On 1/7/2023 at 6:18 AM, Corvinus85 said:

The latest episode did drop the ball on something I liked in the earlier episodes.

Hide contents

Willow was originally sparingly using his magic because it cost him too much and he was afraid he didn't have enough "juice" in him for the main fight. Then in this episode he goes on a pew-pew-pew montage with Elora for her training. sigh

Spoiler

Two options there, the spells he's using to train Elora might be essentially magic missile with a very low energy cost while the things he was avoiding using would have taxed him a lot more.

Alternatively it's his character arc - at the start he was very focused on saving Elora, in part thinking he'd fight the crone to shield her and generally just too conservative in using his power and his best friend died because of it, he could have stopped that if he'd just used his magic sooner. He no longer believes he can shield Elora from fighting the crone, he's letting her keep and use the wand all the time now, and isn't going to starve today in case he's hungry tomorrow.

I enjoy the show well enough, and the season finale was fine (love is the most powerful magic is ok i guess, whatever).  Graydon is my favourite character so

Spoiler

glad that he not out of the show, though not quite sure if he's dead as some kind of ghost or alive in another dimension. 

The ultimate villain being The Wyrm makes me wonder if it'll have anything thematically in common with the 2nd Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

The last 3 episodes were good enough to make this worth it in the end. Maybe stop with the misplaced modern music at the end. The characters where generally good.

Spoiler

Elora did creep me out as she was fighting the Crone. The actor was making such faces that I was already seeing her cast as the main killer in some horror-thriller movie.

12 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I enjoy the show well enough, and the season finale was fine (love is the most powerful magic is ok i guess, whatever).  Graydon is my favourite character so

Hide contents

glad that he not out of the show, though not quite sure if he's dead as some kind of ghost or alive in another dimension. 

The ultimate villain being The Wyrm makes me wonder if it'll have anything thematically in common with the 2nd Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

Think that's a safe 'no'.

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

The last 3 episodes were good enough to make this worth it in the end. Maybe stop with the misplaced modern music at the end. The characters where generally good.

Hide contents

Elora did creep me out as she was fighting the Crone. The actor was making such faces that I was already seeing her cast as the main killer in some horror-thriller movie.

It's not misplaced. It's exactly that kind of series. It's low stakes fun, not taking itself seriously, and that's why I like it. That, and that I would die for Jade and Kit. They're such a great couple. Also Boorman has his moments: several great lines in the finale. It's not perfect but it's fun!

On 12/14/2022 at 11:15 AM, Spockydog said:

Sounds like a big old pile of shite. Glad I never put myself through the movie.

The movie is awesome, especially for kids. 

4 hours ago, mormont said:

It's not misplaced. It's exactly that kind of series. It's low stakes fun, not taking itself seriously, and that's why I like it. That, and that I would die for Jade and Kit. They're such a great couple. Also Boorman has his moments: several great lines in the finale. It's not perfect but it's fun!

Some of the song choices were odd and didn't work for me. Like Money for Nothing in the finale. Why that one? (Well the guitar solo worked for the scene, just not the lyrics)

On 1/7/2023 at 8:10 PM, karaddin said:
  Hide contents

Alternatively it's his character arc - at the start he was very focused on saving Elora, in part thinking he'd fight the crone to shield her and generally just too conservative in using his power and his best friend died because of it, he could have stopped that if he'd just used his magic sooner. He no longer believes he can shield Elora from fighting the crone, he's letting her keep and use the wand all the time now, and isn't going to starve today in case he's hungry tomorrow.

Based on the finale, I would say that you are right about this one.

• 2 months later...

Shame for those who worked on it and those who enjoyed it, but even most fans on that Deadline post admitted there was a lot of room for improvement.

There's a rumor in the comments that Val Kilmer was going to reprise his role as Madmartigan -- anyone know the truth of that? I wonder what the show's first season said about him and why he wasn't around.

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

Shame for those who worked on it and those who enjoyed it, but even most fans on that Deadline post admitted there was a lot of room for improvement.

There's a rumor in the comments that Val Kilmer was going to reprise his role as Madmartigan -- anyone know the truth of that? I wonder what the show's first season said about him and why he wasn't around.

If you must know click the spoiler.

Spoiler

Madmardigan went on a quest and disappeared. The season gradually reveals his fate as it is connected to the main plot and his kids are among the major characters. He went into another dimension to fight an evil entity which is the big bad that they had planned. His daughter hears his voice in a pivotal scene. I believe Kilmer's son did the voice.

Well, okay. The first season finished decently enough to allow me to give the 2nd season a chance... but I'm definitely not doing a re-watch of season 1 for whenever Vol 2 comes around. I hope it will have a hefty recap. :D

Archived