Willow TV Series

Corvinus85

Honestly, Claremont's later comic book work is disappointing, even. He never got back the magic he had for that long, long spell in charge of the X-Men line, and to some extent on other titles at the time. And yeah, his prose efforts are surprisingly pedestrian.

Watched the first two episodes - I will probably keep watching, but it has a lot of problems.  The lead princess’s valley-girl use of the word “like” as a verbal pause several times almost made me turn it off, and the use of modern music at the end is a weird choice.  It’s basically a fun version of Amazon’s WoT, featuring willow ufgood.  They dispensed with the “who/where is elora” thing relatively fast, which I appreciate after WoT and RoP chosen one nonsense.  Some of the characters are really enjoyable, some a little cringey.

On 12/4/2022 at 10:14 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

Willow was great fun as a young kid but an attempted rewatch didn’t last beyond the first ten minutes of cringe.  I’d like to have more fun TV (Wednesday was good for this) but I’d need to ear really strong recs to try a new sequel of Willow

I tried to watch the first 2 episodes of the new show. To me it feels very much aimed at a younger audience, kids specifically and teenagers. It was pretty cringeworthy/campy.

The show has been infusing too much modernism in it for my taste, between the rock blasting endings, the jeans wearing characters and about half the dialogue. But it has good things going for it. I like it when something powerful like magic has costs and/or limitations, and the latest episode showed that well. 

Also, the directing for action scenes is meh; too many cuts.

I don’t know. The anachronism doesn’t bother me that much.

A couple of ok moments, but damn if Willow’s friend pulling his knife edge up didn’t give me a good laugh. So flawlessly performed I couldn’t tell if it was pure art or an editing mistake.

The nostalgia is starting to wear off though. I’m not sure wtf they were trying to accomplish this patchwork episode lol

On 12/1/2022 at 1:59 AM, Corvinus85 said:

Not to spoil too much, but based on the 1st episode those novels are not canon.

Phew. Because I read the first one and it was freaking depressing if you loved the original characters. 

I was pretty leery about this, but actually I'm 2 eps in and have enjoyed it mostly. Some of the characters are pretty good and I enjoy seeing Willow again. Could probably do without the music at the end, but the nice thing I can shut that off. Good production values mostly, although yeah action is a bit meh.

Princess Kit has a lamentably low Wisdom attribute though. To the point that another character is purposely delegated as her babysitter on the journey. 

54 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Was Warwick Davis always such a shit actor? It's really really bad. 

Reviews suggested that he starts off this very rusty, and improves as the series continues. I always thought he was amusing in Life's Too Short.

Apparently the National Treasure TV show will start streaming tomorrow, with a 2-episode premiere. Very odd to bunch up this show together with Willow. Did Disney realize that Willow will likely not have the audience of a MCU or SW show? Likely. Still weird, though. Willow isn't set to end until the middle of January.

Archived