What’s for dinner? Part 9

Fragile Bird

I have been neglecting the asparagus I bought, a large package Costco sells almost year round, the asparagus coming from Peru at this time of year, so made a double portion for my dinner. Together with a dish of fried onion, potato and apple, a novelty for me. I’ve been reading Lois McMaster Bujold’s The Sharing Knife series, a fantasy that takes place in some unknown world but which is specifically placed in the settler era of Ohio, pre-Civil War I guess, with land-hungry farmers pushing west.

Fawn, the Farmer wife of Lakewalker Dag (Lakewalkers have ancient mage powers and are forbidden to marry Farmers, in fear they will weaken the bloodlines, their powers being critically required to save the world from being destroyed by creatures called the Malice) makes this dish several times in the books, so curiosity got the better of me. Pretty good, but I have to work on the flavoring. I assume this is a dish made by the folks in Ohio, so maybe some of you regularly make it. What do you use in the dish? Chopped bacon, maybe?

Bujold’s Wikipedia page mentions the fact she placed the world in Ohio, paying particular attention to settler details, especially the language spoken by the characters.

I was at Costco, once again, and they had packages of sliced leeks from Quebec, something i noticed they just started carrying. I assume they’ll be seasonal, available for a short time only. Or are there hothouse leeks?

I thought I’d buy a pack (two to a unit) and try making leek and potato soup. OMG, did that ever turn out well. Absolutely delicious! And no need to do the tedious work of taking apart and washing the leeks, which always seem to be endlessly filled with fine sand. One pack made a pot of soup, so I plan to make the second today and freeze the results.

It's the season for leeks in the UK. I was just remembering Leek And Potato Soups I Have Enjoyed on the way to work this morning. Yes, I am deeply middle-aged. (And always have been). 

It's hard to beat a well-made leek and potato soup in winter. Especially with fresh chives and fresh-ground pepper. 

18 minutes ago, dog-days said:

It's the season for leeks in the UK. I was just remembering Leek And Potato Soups I Have Enjoyed on the way to work this morning. Yes, I am deeply middle-aged. (And always have been). 

It's hard to beat a well-made leek and potato soup in winter. Especially with fresh chives and fresh-ground pepper. 

My dad loved the soup so I used to make it regularly for him. I haven’t made any in years, didn’t really need a recipe but I looked some up just to make sure I wasn’t forgetting anything. I made the low calorie version, without cream, the potatoes were enough of a thickener. A real comfort food in winter indeed! 

I'm craving spice lately so I peeled a load of veggies and used the peel to make a stock while they roasted. Then fried up some beansprouts, mushrooms, onions, chilli and red peppers with lots of spices, mixed with some vermicelli rice noodles and poured over the stock. Not exactly cutting edge but comforting given it is currently -7 and I'm icy cold

Roommate and I are having a couple friends over for dinner tonight.  I've cut my meat consumption down to almost nothing recently but tonight am doing baby back ribs and a tritip.   Bunch of roast root veggies, celeriac, fennel, potatoes, parsnips, daikon.  Greens.  Oh and teriyaki broccoli.

Kind of hoping this rain and then hard freeze leaves the roads impassable for the holidays, and makes an easy excuse of staying home in lieu of travelling to see family, so that I can eat leftovers and be lazy.

Lordessa save me, I'm making pulled pork for Christmas Day dinner.  This is a labor intensive, and very long process.  OTOH, it means my oven will be on all day, which will be welcome in this Arctic blast. (We've been eating no meat and lots of tofu for the last couple of weeks, so I feel we can afford pulled pork.  :D)

Edited by Zorral

Prepping a ribeye roast (homemade au jus) and a ham for our hosted family dinner tomorrow.   Garlic and bacon green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, green salad, yeasty rolls, deviled eggs for an appetizer.  Just finished baking a gingerbread cake roll with chocolate and candied orange mascarpone filling.

We’re doing a simple potato soup tonight in anticipation of the indulgence tomorrow!

Edited by VigoTheCarpathian
Forgot a few things

On 12/23/2022 at 5:36 PM, Zorral said:

Lordessa save me, I'm making pulled pork for Christmas Day dinner.  This is a labor intensive, and very long process.  OTOH, it means my oven will be on all day, which will be welcome in this Arctic blast. (We've been eating no meat and lots of tofu for the last couple of weeks, so I feel we can afford pulled pork.  :D)

Nothing quite beats pulling the pork.