What’s for dinner? Part 9

Fragile Bird

We has chili yesterday and had leftovers tonight. I had chicken tortilla soup. We are making Christmas dinner tomorrow - ham, broccoli cheddar rice, funeral potatoes, green bean casserole, deviled eggs, a pumpkin pie, and fruit salad/ambrosia. Although it’s Christmas dinner, we’re having it at about 1 pm since my sister is coming over at that time. 

1 hour ago, Machiavellian Spy said:

We has chili yesterday and had leftovers tonight. I had chicken tortilla soup. We are making Christmas dinner tomorrow - ham, broccoli cheddar rice, funeral potatoes, green bean casserole, deviled eggs, a pumpkin pie, and fruit salad/ambrosia. Although it’s Christmas dinner, we’re having it at about 1 pm since my sister is coming over at that time. 

Uh, funeral potatoes?

14 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Some of the US-style casseroles kind of sound appetising, but then you hear horror stories about things like 'ambrosia' (do yourself a favour and don't Google it) and you don't eat or sleep for days. And Americans have the nerve to make fun of British food!

:huh:....

The only ambrosia I'm interested in comes in a tin and is lathered over crumble.

10 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

/cdn-cgi/mirage/670f2cea4ded2ec6cfa5d958ed992658e531f63a316dfb426072e5e945206bdd/1280/https://asoiaf.westeros.org/uploads/emoticons/default_huh.png....

The only ambrosia I'm interested in comes in a tin and is lathered over crumble.

Ambrosia used to be my 'comedown' food on a sunday/monday when I was wrecked from taking things too far on a Saturday. 

On 12/26/2022 at 4:47 PM, Soylent Brown said:

Some of the US-style casseroles kind of sound appetising, but then you hear horror stories about things like 'ambrosia' (do yourself a favour and don't Google it) and you don't eat or sleep for days. And Americans have the nerve to make fun of British food!

I mean we did give you guys fajitas. So yay?

But yeah, casseroles can mean a million things here and it's a crapshoot what you'll get. Probably like some "pies" in the UK. 

Our friends served us Cajun grilled salmon, asparagus, and roasted tiny potatoes for dinner.  Followed by a small dish of vanilla ice cream on a, gifted from an English amigo, pomegranate pudding.  This latter is new to us, delicious, even though, to US, the pomegranate pudding was cake, not pudding as we think of pudding here.

Our only contribution were a couple of bottles of a good Pro$$ecco.  It went well with the meal, glad to say -- we had no idea what it would be.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Grass fed strip steak medium rare with just salt and pepper, some roasted cauliflower with olive oil and hot sauce, sauteed onions, and cabernet.  

I actually made onions that were close to the ones my dad makes.  I didn't quite get the brown level right, but flavor and consistency they were acceptable.  I think he cooks them for hours and probably adds bacon grease, which is his home fry secret.  Start the onions at least 20 minutes before you turn on the grill and cover the pan with a lid, and put enough water and butter underneath so that they don't char, and only medium heat at the most.  I'm sure there are better recipes out there but this is working for me pretty well.