What’s for dinner? Part 9

Fragile Bird

16 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Toppings?

The fuck is red cream soda? 

Do you know what cream soda is? I assume they sell it in the UK. The guy who invented it used a secret ingredient, vanilla, which was not widely available in the late 1800s. Vanilla didn’t become widely popular until artificial vanilla was created in the 1930s (yes, I looked all that up, I had no idea either). 

The fascinating thing is, adding vanilla creates a perception of creaminess without any change in texture, which is why, I assume, the fellow called his creation cream soda. In the US that has meant a drink that’s usually some shade of brown, or clear. In Canada, though, a company created a red cream soda which I gather is sweeter, and other countries have a raspberry sort of or bubble gum sort of red soda. And then they started making it in the US as well.

I have never tried the clear or pale brown cream sodas, which look weird to me, since I grew up with the pink/red stuff. Haven’t had one in decades. Too sweet.

Roasted and blended Butternut Squash, yam and carrot, a few pistachios and raw sunflower seeds for texture, made with chicken stock, avocado oil, caramelized onion, some fresh rosemary, paprika, and a bit of Merguez sausage -- garnished with grated apple.  With couscous on the side, and salad, olives and rosemary bread. Just in the mood for this. Also, leftovers, for lunch or for freezer.

Edited by Zorral

Sad, yet at the same time ginger beer is undeniably delicious, though maybe not so much when you're ill. 

Aged 25, I once treated the flu by reading Graham Greene (The Power and the Glory plus The Heart of the Matter) and drinking grappa. I survived. I was a tough cookie in them days. 

Edited by dog-days

We had hot Italian sausage, beef ravioli, and assorted veggies. I am left satisfied and smiling ^_^ 

These days, my Mom has been pulling off some amazing dinners. It's her thing to make dinner. I'm glad my parents haven't kicked me out of the house yet. I'm so lucky.

Going to a proper nice restaurant tomorrow, and the executive chef has a really famous signature dish, which I would always default to. However its sounds fucking rank if I'm perfectly honest. 

Pierre Koffmann Trotter with chicken mousse, veal sweetbreads and morels. Yakky. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Going to a proper nice restaurant tomorrow, and the executive chef has a really famous signature dish, which I would always default to. However its sounds fucking rank if I'm perfectly honest. 

Pierre Koffmann Trotter with chicken mousse, veal sweetbreads and morels. Yakky. 

I have to tell you, I love sweetbreads. Morels are good too, I like mushrooms. Chicken mousse I’m not sure about.

On 2/13/2023 at 11:44 AM, Fragile Bird said:

Do you know what cream soda is? I assume they sell it in the UK. The guy who invented it used a secret ingredient, vanilla, which was not widely available in the late 1800s. Vanilla didn’t become widely popular until artificial vanilla was created in the 1930s (yes, I looked all that up, I had no idea either). 

The fascinating thing is, adding vanilla creates a perception of creaminess without any change in texture, which is why, I assume, the fellow called his creation cream soda. In the US that has meant a drink that’s usually some shade of brown, or clear. In Canada, though, a company created a red cream soda which I gather is sweeter, and other countries have a raspberry sort of or bubble gum sort of red soda. And then they started making it in the US as well.

I have never tried the clear or pale brown cream sodas, which look weird to me, since I grew up with the pink/red stuff. Haven’t had one in decades. Too sweet.

My grandparents used to buy clear cream soda in bottles that had snowflakes as part of the design. Can't recall the brand but I loved that stuff when I was a kid and also the cream soda from Pop Shoppe.

Haha! Found it. Likely a Quebec- only distribution.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/701175564/vintage-snow-white-soda-pop-bottle-10oz

Edited by kairparavel

12 hours ago, kairparavel said:

My grandparents used to buy clear cream soda in bottles that had snowflakes as part of the design. Can't recall the brand but I loved that stuff when I was a kid and also the cream soda from Pop Shoppe.

Haha! Found it. Likely a Quebec- only distribution.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/701175564/vintage-snow-white-soda-pop-bottle-10oz

This reawakens a memory for me, we had Pop Shoppe here, maybe I even had one. But it was a long time ago, I haven’t seen any of their stuff in decades. And I definitely never saw any Snow White!

We had dinner at a close by Mexican restaurant. We had 3 baskets of chips with hot and mild salsa. I got a burrito and it must have been close to a foot and stuffed with pork, beans, and covered in a meat sauce. I love going to that restaurant because I feel at home.

• 2 weeks later...

Breakfast suggestions. I have a bowl of supermarket saver's muesli every morning with hot soy milk, a chopped banana and large amounts of cinnamon. Despite having it every day for *cough* three years, I still really like it. But I'm thinking I could experiment a bit more with the flavours. 

I'd swap out the cinnamon for cardamom, but UK supermarkets rarely sell ground cardamom, just the pods. And though I'm devoted to the cult of breakfast to the point that I shudder with horror when people tell me they skip it, I'm not going to stand in a freezing kitchen every morning grinding cardamom pods into powder. 

Ideas about what else I could try while still sticking with the muesli + hot alt milk base? 

And yes, this post is peak Guardian lifestyle pages. 

On 3/11/2023 at 11:39 AM, dog-days said:

Breakfast suggestions. I have a bowl of supermarket saver's muesli every morning with hot soy milk, a chopped banana and large amounts of cinnamon. Despite having it every day for *cough* three years, I still really like it. But I'm thinking I could experiment a bit more with the flavours. 

I'd swap out the cinnamon for cardamom, but UK supermarkets rarely sell ground cardamom, just the pods. And though I'm devoted to the cult of breakfast to the point that I shudder with horror when people tell me they skip it, I'm not going to stand in a freezing kitchen every morning grinding cardamom pods into powder. 

Ideas about what else I could try while still sticking with the muesli + hot alt milk base? 

And yes, this post is peak Guardian lifestyle pages. 

Regarding the spices I think ground ginger or ground nutmeg could work well. Or add some chopped nuts or almonds or coconut flakes. Almond butter also could work.