What’s for dinner? Part 9

Fragile Bird

2 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

For my birthday dinner I went to Outback Steakhouse for the first time. I had bloomin onions, a bloomin burger, and a tim tam brownie cake for dessert.

I had no idea what bloomin onion was, looked it up, it looks both appealing and disgusting in equal measure. 

On 4/5/2023 at 2:36 AM, BigFatCoward said:

I had no idea what bloomin onion was, looked it up, it looks both appealing and disgusting in equal measure. 

Its all the best  grease, blooming right there for you on a heart attack platter.:bowdown:

Speaking of which, did y'all know Las Vegas has a eatery named "Heart Attack Grill", I aint lyin.

• 2 weeks later...

Because even when I'm trying to be normal, I'm trying to do something out there... I was considering making myself a birthday cake for the first time since... two decades or so. And tried out a 3400 years old recipe from Ancient Egypt for Tiger Nut cake, found in the tomb of Theban vizier Rekhmire: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/971086032424562718/1099262224721260564/20230422_105538.jpg

Well, I must admit I got impatient during the grinding of the Tiger Nuts, it's still very chewy. And tastes like... grated coconut soaked in honey wrapped in dates. I think I can feel my teeth rot. XD

9 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

OKRA is the fucking worst.  

Agree.  Alas though, Partner loves it.

Tonight crunch tofu with parmesan baked until all melty inside like cheese, yams and ... fresh spring pea pods. An Austrian spring wine with it, I'm thinking.

Meh. So I ended up scrapping the 3400 years old birthday cake idea from above. As it turns out, trying to grind flour over the course of four days because you have too little time individually is a really bad decision. My initial idea was to grind the Tiger Nut flour on Wednesday and bake it on Thursday, but my mother urged me to start grinding on Sunday and do it every day for a few hours (it's really time-consuming to put it through the sieve five times to get fine enough flour and not do too much at the same time as to not break the food processor). However, when I went back to finish it on Wednesday, the flour was wet, oily and smelling slightly rancid. Wonderful... So I had to throw the whole batch out and frantically started a new from scratch, baking a small cake that same day. Unfortunately with it now being so fine, it... is after baking even softer than the first attempt, feeling as if it wasn't baked at all, even though I quite nearly burnt it. It also tastes crunchy, just like Max Miller of Tasting History says it should taste like, but my mother insists I'd make an utter fool of myself trying to offer something like this to people, so I scrapped the whole thing and went back to my usual behavior of keeping my birthday secret and just silently hoping the bloody day will end as fast as possible.

Edited by Toth

4 hours ago, Toth said:

Meh. So I ended up scrapping the 3400 years old birthday cake idea from above. As it turns out, trying to grind flour over the course of four days because you have too little time individually is a really bad decision. My initial idea was to grind the Tiger Nut flour on Wednesday and bake it on Thursday, but my mother urged me to start grinding on Sunday and do it every day for a few hours (it's really time-consuming to put it through the sieve five times to get fine enough flour and not do too much at the same time as to not break the food processor). However, when I went back to finish it on Wednesday, the flour was wet, oily and smelling slightly rancid. Wonderful... So I had to throw the whole batch out and frantically started a new from scratch, baking a small cake that same day. Unfortunately with it now being so fine, it... is after baking even softer than the first attempt, feeling as if it wasn't baked at all, even though I quite nearly burnt it. It also tastes crunchy, just like Max Miller of Tasting History says it should taste like, but my mother insists I'd make an utter fool of myself trying to offer something like this to people, so I scrapped the whole thing and went back to my usual behavior of keeping my birthday secret and just silently hoping the bloody day will end as fast as possible.

Seems like a worthwhile venture at least for perspective that most of us don't get. I feel like I accomplished something when I bake bread on my own. My wife scoffs at my store-bought insta-yeast, since she cultivates her own yeast from fruit. But we're both cheating by using factory-milled flour! As you learned, our lives would probably grind to a halt if we needed to hand grind flour for every baked item we wanted to eat.

Anyways, happy birthday!

2 hours ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Seems like a worthwhile venture at least for perspective that most of us don't get. I feel like I accomplished something when I bake bread on my own. My wife scoffs at my store-bought insta-yeast, since she cultivates her own yeast from fruit. But we're both cheating by using factory-milled flour! As you learned, our lives would probably grind to a halt if we needed to hand grind flour for every baked item we wanted to eat.

Ha!

But wow, making yeast sounds infinitely more elaborate than anything I have touched so far in my pointless experiments. Hat off to her! And well... next time if I'm going to make an attempt at it, I will actually take tiger nut flour, which... oddly seems also much cheaper than the whole tubers for some inexplicable reason. However because I bought in bulk to avoid shipping fees, I still have 1 kg left, so there will be some more experimenting until then.

And please don't take it as an offense, but I'd very much prefer no happy birthday wishes. This whole scheme was an attempt to overwrite my discomfort about this shit day with presenting something unusual in an attempt that that may blunt my misery and may help metreat it normally. Without it I'm hit by the full brunt of how much I hate it and really don't want to hear anything about it.

7 minutes ago, Toth said:

But wow, making yeast sounds infinitely more elaborate than anything I have touched so far in my pointless experiments. Hat off to her! And well... next time if I'm going to make an attempt at it, I will actually take tiger nut flour, which... oddly seems also much cheaper than the whole tubers for some inexplicable reason. However because I bought in bulk to avoid shipping fees, I still have 1 kg left, so there will be some more experimenting until then.

It sounds like the flour side of things is much more labor intensive, whereas yeast cultivation is much more of a chemistry experiment. It took her several years to get her process right, changing factors and checking the results. There were a lot of failed sessions before she stumbled upon what worked well. And even now, it takes about two weeks to get a usable yeast starter, so it requires patience and a systematic approach to baking and pre-preparation. I'm happy to get lazy when I bake my own stuff, but I admit hers tastes better...

12 minutes ago, Toth said:

And please don't take it as an offense, but I'd very much prefer no happy birthday wishes. This whole scheme was an attempt to overwrite my discomfort about this shit day with presenting something unusual in an attempt that that may blunt my misery and may help metreat it normally. Without it I'm hit by the full brunt of how much I hate it and really don't want to hear anything about it.

Understood. No biggie.