Indiana Jones and the Slipped Disk

Myrddin

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Sure, absolutely.  Albeit I'd categorize Close Encounters a bit differently. 

Like how you mentioned Chariots of Fire.  I remember when I was ~ 12/13 I watched every Best Oscar winner ever.  I don't think exactly in order, but kind of.  Anyway, when I got to Chariots I was like...what the fuck is this?  Upon reflection, however, I get it.

Same here with Chariots.  It was a decade or so before that movie made any sense to me.  I didn't understand how such a film could win awards over Raiders.

5 hours ago, mormont said:

I've rewatched it a number of times, tbh. Still think it's unjustly maligned. And much, much better than Temple of Doom.

People reacted to, "Aliens?!?" To me, ancient aliens was no more goofy or implausible than an ancient Hebrew WMD or magic Indian stones or a for-real holy grail. Crystal Skull was fine. 

As a rule, the better Indiana Jones films are the ones where some Nazi's get their shit pushed in. I have high hopes for this one.  

Temple of Doom is probably the weakest of the 3 'real' Indy movies, though I think it gets unfairly maligned. Its actually a really well paced movie, has some fantastic set pieces and is probably the closest a real old school pulp action serial we got from those films. 

I actually don't mind Short Round or Capshaw in it either, I think it adds to the comedy level and I think the back and forth between Indy and Capshaw works really well. 

The idea that Crystal Skull is better than that?!! Well.. I mean it's.. it's an opinion isn't it.. and everyone has opinions.

Yeah, as I see it Temple of Doom is far superior then Crystal Skull. ToD had many flaws, and the dynamics between Indy and Willie haven't aged well. But at least there's plenty of excitement and fun, with a several iconic scenes (mine cart chase, rope bridge,...) and without anything as idiotic as surviving a nuke inside a fridge.

38 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

Yeah, as I see it Temple of Doom is far superior then Crystal Skull. ToD had many flaws, and the dynamics between Indy and Willie haven't aged well. But at least there's plenty of excitement and fun, with a several iconic scenes (mine cart chase, rope bridge,...) and without anything as idiotic as surviving a nuke inside a fridge.

They fall down a mountain on an inflatable boat! 

14 hours ago, Ran said:

I don't know what Indiana Jones movies you've been watching, but his occasional  bumbling of something was always part of the character, like the initial exchange with the German giant:

Indy knew exactly what he was doing there!

Seems a good opportunity to post this gem:

Some of my favourite burns from Lara:

"You've been getting owned since 'throw me the whip' 'give me the idol!"

"There's a big bang you can't hide in a fridge from!"

1 hour ago, The hairy bear said:

I think there is a bit of a difference between 'straining plausibility but silly fun' and 'so dumb you create a new term in popular culture to describe that level of dumbness'

7 hours ago, IlyaP said:

I am hoping that James Mangold and co. watched Dig it With Raven: 

It was a fun video, but they were applying modern standards to something taking place in the 30's. They implied Indy should have had...a cellphone.

There was an alleged script leak a while back:

Spoiler

Allegedly the film does have time travel, with Indy and his niece travelling back to change the past so Indy never becomes Indy, effectively, and stays an academic rather than an adventurer and his niece takes on the Indiana Jones role instead. There's a variant where he actually dies as a teenager, so never even existed as we know him.

To be honest, it sounds like complete and utter bollocks to such a degree that it's screaming "foiler." But then we've heard similarly ludicrous leaks which turned out to be completely true.

Edited by Werthead

11 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Hide contents

Allegedly the film does have time travel, with Indy and his niece travelling back to change the past so Indy never becomes Indy, effectively, and stays an academic rather than an adventurer and his niece takes on the Indiana Jones role instead. There's a variant where he actually dies as a teenager, so never even existed as we know him.

To be honest, it sounds like complete and utter bollocks to such a degree that it's screaming "foiler." But then we've heard similarly ludicrous leaks which turned out to be completely true.

Mangold has publicly shot down the time travel thing. 

53 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Reveal hidden contents

I mean after the Star Wars sequels, nothing will shock me, when it comes to Lucas films.

Only good thing about Temple of Doom is introducing us to Ke Huy Quan, who is now winning awards (after a long time in the wilderness). Being of Indian origin, watching that movie makes me vaguely annoyed each time it shows up. I mean, Thugees and Kali worshippers and eating monkey brains or whatever, come on. 

Indy is best when he is punching Nazis, or Nazi proxies. I dont care if there is time travel in this installment, as long as he goes back to 1930s Germany. Maybe even back to the US to punch Lindbergh, why not.

Edited by IheartIheartTesla