Indiana Jones and the Slipped Disk

Myrddin

Look can I just say it is entirely plausible that Indy could survive an Nuke by hiding in a fridge.  you all forget one important detail.  Indy had drunk from the holy grail.  Although this does mean he should not have aged since - but that's the same problem with Vampires on TV/film  Immortal beings age when you put them in front of cameras.  

• 3 months later...
59 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Have you actually seen it though? 

No, I'm going by the reviews and a very detailed scene by scene description someone posted on reddit after the premier that I'd had open in a tab for a week and finally just got around to reading. Yes, theoretically I could end up liking it. Stranger things have happened. 

But I also wouldn't be shocked if the movie I imagined in my head reading that was a little better than the actual movie. 

Edit: synopsis. Supposed full plot of the moive: 

Edited by RumHam

As long as there isn't any swinging through the trees or aliens, I'll be onboard with this last installment.

Indiana Jones was my hero growing up. I spent my summer days cracking branches and trees with a cheap bullwhip my parents found from somewhere. I think some of my love of history and mythology came from him. 

I can wait a few more weeks to find out the details from the reddit link.

I think Crystal Skull has made it quite clear in my mind that there is no benefit to watching yet another soulless entry that doesn't come close to capturing the magic of the original trilogy. I don't really even mentally recognise that Crystal Skull exists, I can just blank it out.

The reviews for this would really need to be staggeringly good to convince me to watch, as it is they look like they are really damning. 

As for Aliens, I didn't hate that approach but that just creates a kookiness and a disconnect to history when you make it all about aliens rather than religion. I always felt tying Indy as an archaeologist to historical religious artefacts and creating that tie with the nazi's was one of the movies strengths, and added a mysterious aura to the stories. Aliens are totally meh and done to death, it really didn't help that movie.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

As for Aliens, I didn't hate that approach but that just creates a kookiness and a disconnect to history when you make it all about aliens rather than religion. I always felt tying Indy as an archaeologist to historical religious artefacts and creating that tie with the nazi's was one of the movies strengths, and added a mysterious aura to the stories. Aliens are totally meh and done to death, it really didn't help that movie.

Hey hey hey! They weren't aliens, they were interdimensional beings! Get your fictional beings right! :D 

(John Williams' music for the beings' last scene, The Departure, was quite memorable and excellently composed.)

On 5/28/2023 at 8:07 AM, RumHam said:

No, I'm going by the reviews and a very detailed scene by scene description someone posted on reddit after the premier that I'd had open in a tab for a week and finally just got around to reading. Yes, theoretically I could end up liking it. Stranger things have happened. 

Wouldn't it better to, uh, just go and see the movie? Rather than relying on unconfirmed plot points from Random People on the Internet? (Remembering also that plot isn't the same as story, of course.)

16 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I didn't mind the alien angle in the last one. There is room for both religion-based mythology and alien mythology in this universe.

I know it's personal preference.

For me, aliens (even ancient aliens) feels too sci-fi for an archeologist digging up the past. Or maybe it was the fact they were there physically. Like if mummies actually stood up and walked in Raiders (beyond Marion's claustrophobic encounter) it would make it a different movie. Running and chasing mummies in the Mummy were part of that world's mythology. Living monsters in IJ movies had never really existed from to Crystal Skull.

7 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Wouldn't it better to, uh, just go and see the movie? Rather than relying on unconfirmed plot points from Random People on the Internet? (Remembering also that plot isn't the same as story, of course.)

I'll catch it when it comes to streaming, I'm not going to see it in the theater. By then I won't remember the details anyway, but it's kinds like reading the book before you watch the movie.

I know I'm weird, but I'll frequently read the Wikipedia plot summary of a movie before deciding if I want to spend the time watching it.

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

Living monsters in IJ movies had never really existed from to Crystal Skull.

Well I mean there is a proven God and Jesus. If you arent Judeo-christian that means the universe has a gigantic all powerful monster in it 

It comes down to super natural vs natural. By natural, I mean provable by science/observation.

The angels from Raiders were ethereal not corporeal. "Power of God or something."

The Stones gave life to the village, but never explained or shown (beyond "diamonds" glowing in proximity). Shiva never showed up.

The Grail gave life, but it's just an artifact. Neither Jesus or God appeared.

Ancient aliens being behind some phenomenon would be fine (Fingerprints of the Gods type stuff as the origin of Egyptian/Mayan/Incan/Aztec power/belief). Having the aliens show up just felt off based on previously established adventures.

I just saw that Disney+, in addition to the 4 Indiana Jones movies also has the complete Young Indiana Jones series. I started watching episode 20, "Mystery of the Blues", the one with Harrison Ford back as Indy.

I was just going to watch the beginning and end but I ended up watching the whole movie. I forgot how good it was, how many great actors guest starred in it, and how many real historical figures Indy interacted with in this one.

Harrison Ford's Indy is only in it for about 5 minutes, but even so, great episode/movie! I didn't expect this but it actually got me kind of pumped!

2 hours ago, Myrddin said:

The Grail gave life, but it's just an artifact. Neither Jesus or God appeared.

Ancient aliens being behind some phenomenon would be fine (Fingerprints of the Gods type stuff as the origin of Egyptian/Mayan/Incan/Aztec power/belief). Having the aliens show up just felt off based on previously established adventures.

I dont understand that line of thinking I suppose then. The Grail is inextricably linked with Jesus, it got its powers from Jesus. In this universe it isn't the Grail is just a symbol or somesuch. They specifically note it is the cup of a carpenter. So if the Grail exists and has power in this universe that means Jesus is real. Which then in turn makes the christian God real. It doesn't matter if they appear or not.  And given that I wouldn't want to be in another religion or atheist if the old testament God is real.

56 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

I dont understand that line of thinking I suppose then. The Grail is inextricably linked with Jesus, it got its powers from Jesus. In this universe it isn't the Grail is just a symbol or somesuch. They specifically note it is the cup of a carpenter. So if the Grail exists and has power in this universe that means Jesus is real. Which then in turn makes the christian God real. It doesn't matter if they appear or not.  And given that I wouldn't want to be in another religion or atheist if the old testament God is real.

If you wanted though, couldn't you say Jesus was an alien? or at least that the bible got it all wrong RE: god. Like there was clearly something with power, but whose to say the authors of the bible really understood what it was? I don't think this was the creator's intent, but you could. 

I thought this movie came out this weekend for some reason. Didn't big movies used to come out memorial day weekend?