Indiana Jones and the Slipped Disk

Myrddin

Other than folklore, there's no proof the Grail was anything other than an artifact with magical properties. Who's to say who or what empowered it 2000+ years ago. The cup granting healing or life extension is not really "proof" of Jesus any more than the Stones reviving the village are proof of Shiva's existence.

My whole point isn't that aliens shouldn't exist in IJ. It's they shouldn't appear, nor should any religious avatar. Jones chases and collects MacGuffins artifacts not living beings. 

9 hours ago, RumHam said:

I know I'm weird, but I'll frequently read the Wikipedia plot summary of a movie before deciding if I want to spend the time watching it.

...You're like Harry in When Harry Met Sally, who reads the last chapter of a book first! 

12 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I lean towards thinking that if a movie isn't enjoyable when you already know the story, it probably wasn't a great movie. 

I think it was an interview with Ben Browder back during his Farscape days that taught me this concept as a kid, but in any case, there's a difference between What something is and How something is. A story can be immensely simple but incredibly amazing, and a story can be incredibly labyrinthine and complex and ultimately underwhelming.

For something like film, it's all the parts that make up the film - the acting, the score, the cinematography, the lighting, the effects, the audio, etc., all coming together to make a thing that can only be experienced by actually watching the thing. A plot summary can't convey interesting cinematography, or invisible (and thus good!) ADR work, or good sound mixing, or memorable framing in a scene.

Hell, using Indiana Jones, the movie Raiders of the Lost Ark, on paper, is ridiculously simplistic. A guy is hired to find a thing, and keeps losing it to the bad guys, and in the end, the bad guys lose regardless of the efforts the protoganist. It's still a great film despite the rather straightforward story. But it's How It's Done that makes it work. And that's something that can only be discovered by watching it. 

(I...watch a lot of movies, if you can't tell. I love cinema and used to work in TV for a little while, so it's a passion of mine.) 

31 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

@Ran, @RumHam is being mean to me! :D

(Congratulations, you have learned how to properly torture this Absolute Nerd of a Film Lover)

Not gonna lie, I've never had any interest in seeing that movie. :P

23 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

I think it was an interview with Ben Browder back during his Farscape days that taught me this concept as a kid, but in any case, there's a difference between What something is and How something is. A story can be immensely simple but incredibly amazing, and a story can be incredibly labyrinthine and complex and ultimately underwhelming.

For something like film, it's all the parts that make up the film - the acting, the score, the cinematography, the lighting, the effects, the audio, etc., all coming together to make a thing that can only be experienced by actually watching the thing. A plot summary can't convey interesting cinematography, or invisible (and thus good!) ADR work, or good sound mixing, or memorable framing in a scene.

Hell, using Indiana Jones, the movie Raiders of the Lost Ark, on paper, is ridiculously simplistic. A guy is hired to find a thing, and keeps losing it to the bad guys, and in the end, the bad guys lose regardless of the efforts the protoganist. It's still a great film despite the rather straightforward story. But it's How It's Done that makes it work. And that's something that can only be discovered by watching it. 

(I...watch a lot of movies, if you can't tell. I love cinema and used to work in TV for a little while, so it's a passion of mine.) 

oh absolutly. I remember when the plot of Avengers: Endgame leaked people were sooo dissapointed "this movie is gonna suck, wtf the plot makes no sense" and then of course everyone loved it. I would say that this leak is unusually detailed, the guy must have been taking notes. I have a rather active imagination it's not hard for it to come alive in my mind.

I'd be pleased if the movie turned out good, but I'm skeptical because last I checked it was hovering around 50% on metacritic and RT. 

I wont say anything about the plot I read and why that makes me skeptical I'll enjoy the movie, but I have reasons.

43 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I'd be pleased if the movie turned out good, but I'm skeptical because last I checked it was hovering around 50% on metacritic and RT. 

Heh, two sites I never check, because I find it patently uninteresting and unhelpful. I watch films regardless of aggregated and excessively mathematical ratings. Art isn't mathematics, nor should it be. And just because something doesn't speak to one person's tastes doesn't mean it won't work for me. De gustibus non est disputandum. 

Edited by IlyaP

3 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

I watch films regardless of aggregated and excessively mathematical ratings. 

Don't get me wrong, so do I. I'm going to watch the movie, I'm just in no rush. There was zero chance I was going to go see this in theaters before the reviews and plot leak. Mostly cause both theaters in town closed during covid. 

6 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Don't get me wrong, so do I. I'm going to watch the movie, I'm just in no rush. There was zero chance I was going to go see this in theaters before the reviews and plot leak. Mostly cause both theaters in town closed during covid. 

Oh gods, you lost *both* your theaters? Damn dude, that legitimatelly sucks! (We're lucky that a lot of our cinemas, including the art house ones, managed to survive Covid down here in Sydney.)

33 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Oh gods, you lost *both* your theaters? Damn dude, that legitimatelly sucks! (We're lucky that a lot of our cinemas, including the art house ones, managed to survive Covid down here in Sydney.)

Of the six closest theaters to me that I used to got to, four are closed forever. The other two are smaller three screen theaters, one shows mostly independent films. 

That said, don't feel too bad for me. There are options within reasonable driving distance, or I could always take a train into queens. But I rarely bother anymore. 

I remember for a while my cable provider had a "free movie tuesday" deal with the theater that was just three blocks down my street. We saw a lot of shitty movies just because. The Spirit stands out.  Probably the worst movie I ever saw in a theater. and I saw both Waterworld and Junior in theaters. 

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Stuckmann’s spoiler free review. 

I saw this, he wasn’t as negative on the movie as a lot of other people but clearly doesn’t think it’s good. I feel like Stuckmann has gotten to the point where he doesn’t want to shit on movies any more, being a movie maker himself so I’m sure he is being a little kind.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I saw this, he wasn’t as negative on the movie as a lot of other people but clearly doesn’t think it’s good. I feel like Stuckmann has gotten to the point where he doesn’t want to shit on movies any more, being a movie maker himself so I’m sure he is being a little kind.

He explicitly stated this. Now that he's gotten a chance to make a movie he doesn't want to shit on things he doesn't like. He use to rip stuff, but now he just finds the positives or doesn't make a video about it which is pretty understandable. 

• 2 weeks later...