Indiana Jones and the Slipped Disk

Myrddin

38 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I dont care of its horrible. I'll still go see it at least once. And then decide later on if I want to watch again

I didnt mind Crystal Skull, but I dont think it has a high rewatch factor.

I've rewatched it a number of times, tbh. Still think it's unjustly maligned. And much, much better than Temple of Doom.

This looks... hmm. It's hard to get past the notion of Indy, who looks like he should be incapable of anything more energetic than a game of backgammon, jumping around and punching people. But maybe. Looks like there's a very high nostalgia factor though. At least Crystal Skull was trying to do something new with the franchise. (I know, that's why a lot of folks hated it.)

37 minutes ago, mormont said:

I've rewatched it a number of times, tbh. Still think it's unjustly maligned. And much, much better than Temple of Doom.

Curious what "much much better than Temple of Doom" means?  Laudable?  Acceptable?  Less cringe-worthy?

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

Does Temple of Doom have any fans? I've always found that movie rather...awkward.  

I am a fan of Temple of Doom, the first PG-13 movie.

When it came out I was still a teen, and it wasn't obvious to me that it was set BEFORE Raiders, so that confused me, along with the fact that it tonally went outside the Raiders worldview.  As an adult, it made a lot more sense to me.

Kate Capshaw wasn't a good choice for a poorly written role, so that aspect of it wasn't great.  She has no agency in the film, and I didn't like it at the time, nor do I like that character as written now, either.

Here is a review that I feel like best expresses my opinion: 

25 minutes ago, DMC said:

Without Ford/Indy Temple of Doom is a shitty B movie at best.

That was Spielberg's thing for about a decade in the 70s and early 80s, though: making B movies scripts with A movie quality direction, sets, costumes and actors.

Duel, Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders, Sugarland, ET, Doom - a lot of roadies and sci-fi and adventure shows, but really well financed and produced, with Goldie Hawn and Harrison Ford and Roy Scheider instead of no-name-recognition actors.

The thing about Doom is that the pacing is non-stop action almost the whole way through.  Raiders seemed like it was non-stop compared to films like Chariots of Fire or whatever that caame out at the same time, but Temple of Doom was turned up to 11.

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

That was Spielberg's thing for about a decade in the 70s and early 80s, though: making B movies scripts with A movie quality direction, sets, costumes and actors.

Sure, absolutely.  Albeit I'd categorize Close Encounters a bit differently. 

Like how you mentioned Chariots of Fire.  I remember when I was ~ 12/13 I watched every Best Oscar winner ever.  I don't think exactly in order, but kind of.  Anyway, when I got to Chariots I was like...what the fuck is this?  Upon reflection, however, I get it.

6 hours ago, Ran said:

I don't know what Indiana Jones movies you've been watching, but his occasional  bumbling of something was always part of the character...

One of my favorite scenes in the series. This is almost Blake Edwards "Inspector Clouseau" level stuff.  Brilliant. 'Still makes me laugh.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Temple of Doom is awesome, but is also in many ways very problematic. 

I saw that in the theater when I'm pretty sure I was too young to see it in the theater. I saw a guy get his heart pulled out of his chest when I was like, ten years old. It was amazing.