The Rise and Fall of Kanye West

Mr. Chatywin et al.

On 12/3/2022 at 12:49 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

His name is Ye west. Just wondered if we should respect his name change,

That's something I was wondering too but didn't dare to ask. What's the best practice here?

When I was working as a project manager for Amex, one of my projects was almost completely derailed when a very rich and famous Platinum Card holder insisted on changing the name on his card to Fungus the Bogeyman, to disguise some potentially embarrassing spending habits.

Edited by Spockydog

Personally I call people what they choose to be called, as a matter of good manners (I used to make an exception for Mohammed Al Fayed, because the 'al' is really an honorific he's not entitled to, but whatever, if he wants to use it.)

Anyway, my point is that, as ever with good manners, there's more flexibility with how we talk about famous people than there is with each other. Being rude about someone not on the board =/= being rude to someone on the board. That would include using preferred names.

Deadnaming trans people, OTOH, is another kettle of fish. That's offensive to a number of users who themselves are trans.

So Ye is an insane danger to himself and others, he should be deprived his basic freedoms because of this, including the ability to say what he wants to say.

But also make sure you call him Ye or ye may be a jerk. 

[Just trying to keep my How to Be a Properly Braindead, but still Reactive to Percieved Injustices, Liberal notes coherent] 

But I'm the condescening asshole, eh? 

Edited by Fire and Jace

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Debating an artist's rebranding is so missing the the point of why this thread matters.

Why does it matter? Frankly to me it looks like a place for people to pretend to be concerned about someone, throwing 'mental health' buzzwords around like prescriptive garnish.

I've seen grave robbings that were less cynical than you people and twice as honest about what they came for.

34 minutes ago, Fire and Jace said:

So Ye is an insane danger to himself and others, he should be deprived his basic freedoms because of this, including the ability to say what he wants to say.

But also make sure you call him Ye or ye may be a jerk. 

[Just trying to keep my How to Be a Properly Braindead, but still Reactive to Percieved Injustices, Liberal notes coherent] 

But I'm the condescening asshole, eh? 

I don't think it would cost us anything to try to be respectful and accepting where we can. Doesn't mean we need to agree with everything he says or does.

22 minutes ago, kiko said:

I don't think it would cost us anything to try to be respectful and accepting where we can. Doesn't mean we need to agree with everything he says or does.

I agree completely. 

But until you present evidence that he, HIMSELF, is a threat to living beings then you have no right to call for his muzzling or his incarceration.

Obviously it's fucking wrong and gross that he uses his powers and his liberties to spread lies and tear down others. 

Being the good guys means honoring ideals even when it's hard. 

This is basic good guy shit. Chamber of Secrets shit.

1 hour ago, Fire and Jace said:

I agree completely. 

But until you present evidence that he, HIMSELF, is a threat to living beings then you have no right to call for his muzzling or his incarceration.

Obviously it's fucking wrong and gross that he uses his powers and his liberties to spread lies and tear down others. 

Yes, assholes have the right to spread their vitriol.  But remember who their vitriol empowers:

1 hour ago, Fire and Jace said:

I agree completely. 

stochastic terrorism

28 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yes, assholes have the right to spread their vitriol.  But remember who their vitriol empowers:

I know. And Kanye has revealed who he really is. 

But it was not long ago that people in this country were diagnosed insane for their sexual orientations and expressions. Be careful calling for official powers to determine someone's fitness for freedom: those powers may not always belong to your side

22 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

stochastic terrorism

Lol

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

You've seen grave robbings?  Creepy.

Dark Lords don't reanimate themselves. 

#workethic