The Crimes of Tyrion Lannister

Craving Peaches

I think he mentions fantasizing about raping Cersei somewhere in Dance. Not really a crime to fantasize, maybe still not an entirely healthy act. The singer that ended up in the brown (that bowl of brown is a metaphor for EVERYTHING!) was murder sure but lets not forget the accompanying crime of feeding him to the poors of Kingslanding. He's an escaped slave too, that's a crime.

26 minutes ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

If escaping slavery isn't a crime, then they aren't really slaves.

39 minutes ago, sifth said:

Some of his Essos "crimes" are rather interesting. Such as when he's a slave and he posions his overseer, Nurse. Does that count as a crime? What about escaping from slavery?

On one hand it probably is a crime locally. On the other hand Tyrion has the defence of necessity. The consequences of him breaking the law in this case I would argue are less severe than adhering to it. By escaping from slavery he is sparing himself potential untold suffering.

12 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

On one hand it probably is a crime locally. On the other hand Tyrion has the defence of necessity. The consequences of him breaking the law in this case I would argue are less severe than adhering to it. By escaping from slavery he is sparing himself potential untold suffering.

Well then by killing the bard he saved himself potential untold suffering as well, so if he gets a pass for one on that basis he should get a pass for all of them.  I wonder how many of his crimes didn't spare him from potential untold suffering - or weren't intended to. Maybe lying to Jamie about killing Joffrey was only intended to hurt, but nothing else comes quickly to mind right now.

1 hour ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

Well then by killing the bard he saved himself potential untold suffering as well, so if he gets a pass for one on that basis he should get a pass for all of them.  I wonder how many of his crimes didn't spare him from potential untold suffering - or weren't intended to. Maybe lying to Jamie about killing Joffrey was only intended to hurt, but nothing else comes quickly to mind right now.

I think the killing of the bard is different. Because he put himself in the situation where he had to deal with the bard in the first place. Killing the bard was also not his only option. He had other ways to deal with that situation. By contrast, the only way for him to escape the horrors of slavery was to escape the slavery. He only has the defence if breaking the law is the lesser evil and he has no way to resolve the situation without breaking the law.

1 minute ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

Ok, I was going by the OP which said 'crimes' and nothing about lesser and greater evils.  

Yes, and I was talking about a defence to the crimes... It is where the crime is the lesser evil compared to the consequences of adhering to the law. I apologise if I have explained the defence inadequately. Perhaps these links will explain better than I.

Necessity – Crime.Scot

Defences - Duress and Necessity | The Crown Prosecution Service (cps.gov.uk)

4 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

He did rape that slave girl in Volantis, and he couldn't have needed to do that to avoid suffering. If anything, raping the slave caused Tyrion to feel guilt, which is arguably a form of suffering.

I agree, I was mentioning the defence only in relation to the 'crime' of escaping slavery.

1 hour ago, Craving Peaches said:

Yes, and I was talking about a defence to the crimes... It is where the crime is the lesser evil compared to the consequences of adhering to the law. I apologise if I have explained the defence inadequately. Perhaps these links will explain better than I.

Necessity – Crime.Scot

Defences - Duress and Necessity | The Crown Prosecution Service (cps.gov.uk)

Scottish criminal law? Fort some reason the Essosi don't seem to be acknowledging that.

10 minutes ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

That does not appear to be the position of the Yunkai.

Piracy and kidnap are crimes everywhere, and Tyrion was the victim of both.  The Yunkish may trade with kidnappers and pirates, but Tyrion has no obligation to obey such laws.  

7 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

Murder, Rape, Assault, Fraud, Extortion, Administration of Noxious Substances, Escaping from Prison...Treason?

Have I missed anything?

it depends... why we are counting his crimes?

the crimes I care about are raping that Volantine slave girl , killing that poor singer and feeding him to people and murdering Shae in cold blood. I guess he is also a complicit in what happened to Tysha , though he was 13 and a victim himself.

Archived