FILM AWARDS SEASON 2022/2023 (Update: Guilds' Winners, Oscar week)

Mladen

42 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Very pleased to see "All Quiet on the Western Front" win the Best Picture Oscar.

You mean BAFTA, right? I wondered if I had ended up in a time warp for a moment there.

42 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Have seen most of the nominees this season and fealt AQotWF was a league better than the rest.

I was not as impressed, and I admit a great deal of surprise at how it did at the BAFTAs, though I suppose its message about war is somewhat more salient in the UK (and Europe) than it is in the US, so that may be the difference-maker.

Curiously, by all accounts, Netflix is barely bothering to promote it for the Oscars. No theatrical screenings for Academy members and award pundits are being arranged.

On 2/21/2023 at 9:55 PM, Ran said:

Curiously, by all accounts, Netflix is barely bothering to promote it for the Oscars. No theatrical screenings for Academy members and award pundits are being arranged.

There are couple of things going on about this. First, as was seen with Ana de Armas' nomination, Netflix is never in dire need of screenings. People will watch these movies from the comfort of their homes.

Second, and far more important is the fact that people tried convincing Netflix to push AQotWF as their number 1 movie since Toronto. They have been putting their weight behind Blonde, Bardo, Glass Onion and even GDT's Pinocchio (although that one all pundits already wanted to see). I think it was Matt Neglia who spoke how he and many others tried talking to Netflix execs at TIFF how All Quiet on the Western Front is the movie they should be pushing for. Also, Globes chose "Argentina, 1985" as their Best No-English Movie so people thought All Quiet would die. And then BAFTA happened. 

I doubt it will do as well on Oscars, but if it gets Cinematography, Editing and Adapted Screenplay, that combo can be enough for Best Picture. However it should be noted that the movie has not been nominated at WGA so frontrunner in Adapted Screenplay is still "Women Talking". Given BAFTA completely snubbed Top Gun: Maverick, one can expect the clash of two movies in Editing and Sound categories. I have no doubts All Quiet is winning Best Cinematography, although I would adore if Florian Hoffmeister would get it for TAR.

Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts (AACTA)
International Awards - Winners

Best Film:
Elvis
Everything Everywhere All at Once
The Banshees of Inisherin
Top Gun: Maverick

Best Lead Actor:
Austin Butler, Elvis
Joel Edgerton, The Stranger
Colin Farrell, The Banshees of Inisherin
Brendan Fraser, The Whale
Hugh Jackman, The Son

Best Lead Actress:
Cate Blanchett, Tár

Ana de Armas, Blonde
Margot Robbie, Babylon
Michelle Williams, The Fabelmans
Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once

Best Supporting Actor:
Brendan Gleeson, The Banshees of Inisherin

Woody Harrelson, Triangle Of Sadness
Sean Harris, The Stranger
Brad Pitt, Babylon
Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once

Best Supporting Actress:
Kerry Condon, The Banshees of Inisherin

Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Olivia DeJonge, Elvis
Stephanie Hsu, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Jean Smart, Babylon

Best Direction:
James Cameron, Avatar: The Way of Water
Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Baz Luhrmann, Elvis
Martin McDonagh, The Banshees of Inisherin
Steven Spielberg, The Fabelmans

Best Screenplay:
Todd Field, Tár
Rian Johnson, Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
Martin Mcdonagh, The Banshees of Inisherin
Ruben Östlund, Triangle of Sadness
Dana Stevens, Maria Bello, The Woman King

16 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Austin Butler seems to be picking up Best Actor awards despite Colin Farrell and Brendan Fraser being billed as the favorites to take the oscar.

It’s a bit weird seeing Austin Butler up for all these awards. I only remember him from the Shannara tv series. Glad to see he’s managed to progress his career.

8 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

It’s a bit weird seeing Austin Butler up for all these awards. I only remember him from the Shannara tv series. Glad to see he’s managed to progress his career.

This is my thought every single time I se his name. I think I even posted this in the Dune Part 2 thread (where he's been cast as Feyd). Glad I'm not the only one with this distraction. :)

Makes you wonder: do we remember him from Shannara because he did such a poor job or because he was a light in the muddled mess of a show?

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

This is my thought every single time I se his name. I think I even posted this in the Dune Part 2 thread (where he's been cast as Feyd). Glad I'm not the only one with this distraction. :)

Makes you wonder: do we remember him from Shannara because he did such a poor job or because he was a light in the muddled mess of a show?

All I remember from Shannara is John Rhys-Davies with elf ears. 

54 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Austin Butler is winning awards because playing a famous singer/actor pretty much makes you an automatic winner this days, even if you don't actually sing, like Rami Malek playing Freddy Mercury. Acting awards have become a best impersonation award 

Pretty much this. It’s just above playing a character with a disability when it comes to Oscar bait. I don’t think there was much in Butlers performance to get excited about, people get confused when someone does an impression and think that in itself counts as a good performance. The Elvis movie gave the guy no real opportunity to act given that it was basically a 2.5 hour montage.

16 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

A country built by criminals does some criminal shit. Avatar for best film? GTFO. :P

That there's a solid list. 'Nothing wrong with that list. 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Pretty much this. It’s just above playing a character with a disability when it comes to Oscar bait. I don’t think there was much in Butlers performance to get excited about, people get confused when someone does an impression and think that in itself counts as a good performance. The Elvis movie gave the guy no real opportunity to act given that it was basically a 2.5 hour montage.

How about that "Best Director" award? Huh? Don't think I don't remember. 

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

All I remember from Shannara is John Rhys-Davies with elf ears. 

One bit I liked was the human village that hated elves, that had some footage of space travel from before WW3, and played it.

Turned out to be a clip from Star Trek The Motion Picture of the Enterprise in space, which then cut to Kirk and Spock. The villagers booed Spock, thinking he was an elf

Archived