FILM AWARDS SEASON 2022/2023 (Update: Guilds' Winners, Oscar week)

Mladen

@Mladen Oh, that's wonderful! I recall reading that it was based on a real person, and I know nothing about composers. I must have scanned through the article and miscontrued what was being stated. I guess I will be watching it in that case. I do hear a lot of positive things about Blanchett's performance, and I love stories about destructive, awful people.

2 minutes ago, IFR said:

I must have scanned through the article and miscontrued what was being stated.

Some wags in the media enjoyed writing articles about all the scandals and noteworthy anecdotes Lydia Tár was involved in as if she were a real person without actually stating it was satire. 

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Out of the best picture list, I haven't even heard of the bottom two. I think there might have been a snub or two there.

So Top Gun: Maverick gets best picture nod, an adapted screenplay nod (adapted from what?), visual effects, but fails to get a cinematography nod. Weird.

Three MCU movies this year, only Black Panther got a nod for visual effects. I would have picked Multiverse of Madness. Not that it matters, Avatar is winning that category.

From the Daynjah Zaowen, Mellon Farmer. 

-

Wow! these awards shit heads sure are nominating the hell out of that there All Quiet on the Western Front movie, huh? :D

Regarding adapted screen play: I didn't realize that any sequel automatically goes in that category. Glass Onion was certainly more original, as it was written by the director, yet it's still "adapted". TIL

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Woman Warrior -- nothing at all.  Historical films, unless about ... Lincoln? ... not of interest to US perspectives?

What's All Quiet on the Western Front?

Ya, you're righ (and I screwed up the title -- it's supposed to be the Woman King).  But All A Quiet on the Western Front is a war USians have heard of and recognize, not African.  The book from which the previous films were made, like those preceding films, received much honor and attention, and have all along.  Which makes it easier for the academy to love it.

Most of the films this last year centering African American experience were also snubbed.  It's not notable the Black Honoree, Angela Bassett, got it for a comic book film.  Viola Davis got hers, I guess, three times already? 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/black-oscar-snubs-2023-rcna67214

Off topic, as it's not a film, but Viola Davis was wonderful in her small supporting role in the first three Jesse Stone adaptations for television.

58 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Woman Warrior -- nothing at all.  Historical films, unless about ... Lincoln? ... not of interest to US perspectives?

Might be considered controversial since the kingdom that the Agojie fought for sold a lot of the Africans it conquered to Transatlantic slave traders.

A once in a lifetime experience for Irish related movies.  Banshees obviously but Paul Mescal gets nominated also (given his nomination, its a surprise that Aftersun didn't get nominated since there are 10 Best Film nominations).  And this very good (low key) Irish language movie got nominated for Best International Feature Film, the Quiet GIrl or An Cailin Cuin.

I don't think the Woman King got the level of positive reviews as other films.  I did enjoy it though.

And now that I've seen Tar, Cate Blanchett will find it difficult to find a better role in her future.  I wonder was that written for her.

1 hour ago, Padraig said:

And now that I've seen Tar, Cate Blanchett will find it difficult to find a better role in her future.  I wonder was that written for her.

According to Todd Field himself, the role was specially written with Cate in mind.

4 hours ago, Darryk said:

Might be considered controversial since the kingdom that the Agojie fought for sold a lot of the Africans it conquered to Transatlantic slave traders.

One might have thought some would have found that fact in its favor -- though one tends to doubt that most audience knows anything about this history, one way or another, at least the white audience.

Now, I got the time to sit down and type a lengthier comment on this season's nominations. Nothing new in La La Land. As usual, they went "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly..." So, let's do it that way.

The Good

1. Everything Everywhere All at Once and TAR overperforming. I am so happy that Stephanie Hsu hasn't been snubbed for Jamie Lee Curtis and I am pleased that this indie gem has gotten all the attention they deserve. As for TAR, I mean, what can be said... I will refer people to Scorsese's words on Field and his work. Some people may not like this movie, but it is truly one of a kind. 

2. Paul Mescal rounding up Best Actor lineup. There was much talk about who will be that 5th slot - people mentioning Fiennes, Cruise and Jackman. Honestly, this is as best as it can be. Paul Mescal in "Aftersun" was glorious and he is deservedly nominated.

3. Diversity of Best Supporting Actress lineup. Bassett, Chau, Hsu... All extremely talented women. Yes, I think Bassett will be winning this one. It is her legacy Oscar and she really deserved one. She is not unworthy winner even though it is comic book movie as Angela as Queen Ramonda gave a truly powerful speech in the movie that clearly resonated with many award-giving bodies.

4. Brian Tyree Henry getting in Best Supporting Actor. This was not what pundits predicted and even though I considered him worthy, I thought that (in)visibility of "Causeway" hurt him. However, this was, with Mescal, one of the most inspiring choices of the day. 

5. Andrea Riseborough being nominated. I will talk more about her in other sections of this post, but for all of you wondering - yes, she deserves to be nominated. She was incredible in "To Leslie"

6 Florian Hoffmeister for TAR Cinematography and Monika Willi for TAR Editing. People will watch this movie as it is coming to Europe in following weeks and will see how amazing it is to have Hoffmeister and Willi nominated for their work. 

The Bad

1. Women Talking getting almost snubbed. This was the big issue of the entire season as Sarah Polley movie was undoubtedly one of the frontrunners when it came out in Toronto at TIFF. But the late release and questionable campaign by United Artists made this movie much weaker than it deserves. Claire Foy and Jessie Buckley deserved to be nominated. Ben Whishaw too.

2. Aftersun not getting a lot of traction save Mescal. Charlotte Wells deserved to be one of the five directors. Well, Sarah Polley too, but that Directors lineup is seriously not something one can complain about. At least not too much.

3. Viola Davis getting snubbed. She had the name, the reviews and the box office success. She was also an older POC actress in a very interesting, different role. She should have been nominated. 

4. Ignoring foreign talent. Here I mean specifically about Zar Amir Ebrahimi and Tang Wei. The two women deserved mentions across the board this award season. However... Anglocentric nature of these awards means that they are in disadvantage. I suggest everyone to watch "Decision to Leave" and "Holy Spider".

5. Ana de Armas... She is great but that movie... SImply, no. I am sorry, but if anything was disgusting the last year, it was "Blonde". But, the passion for De Armas is undeniable.

The Ugly

1. Danielle Deadwyler being snubbed. There is no curse in Entish, Elvish or human tongues for this treachery. Academy should have known better. She should be win-competitive, not getting snubbed.

2. The curious case of Andrea Riseborough. For those of us following this story, something unbelievable happened. Riseborough was in "To Leslie", an indie movie that had its premiere 10 months ago and earned $20k at box office. Meaning, no one saw it. No one mentioned it for months and then suddenly 50 Hollywood A-listers started talking about her publicly when nomination process started. This is a complete game-changer and something many sees as the model many studios will take in the future. So, what is the problem here. The mastermind behind this seems to be actress Frances Fisher (known as Rose's mother Ruth from "Titanic") who called Academy members and her long list of friends to vote for Andrea because "Cate, Michelle, Viola and Danielle are safe". Given the fact that Viola and Danielle were, in fact, not safe, one really has to wonder how much damage this has caused. I doubt Riseborough case will end soon. We'll hear more about it. 

3. I know many spoke about RRR. Just to remind once again, countries submit their choices for International Feature and India didn't submit RRR. 

Still waiting on seeing Aftersun, Banshees, and Tár -- it's absurd that they're taking so long to get released here in Sweden. Going to watch All Quiet on the Western Front, though -- I had resisted because of a very negative review I was regaled with while sharing a ride from Madrid to Cáceres earlier this year, but it looks like BAFTA and the Academy disagree with his take, so I'll see it for myself.

Very, very pleased with Ana de Armas getting nominated for Blonde despite how divisive this extraordinary horror film was.

I don't think you can say Riseborough is good and then be upset that both Davis and Deadwyler were passed over. Obviously, it's not Riseborough who pushed out either of them undeservedly, because she absolutely does deserve it (amazing performance). 

The person who "actually" bumped Deadwyler I'm guessing is Michelle Williams, who has been nominated four times previously without a win, so this is her chance at a legacy award, I'd guess.

I also can't believe Fisher claimed Williams was "safe". Yeoh and Blanchett were the only truly safe ones, IMO.

RRR was enjoyably kooky populist pablum but I 100% understand why Last Film Show was submitted by India over it.

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Very, very pleased with Ana de Armas getting nominated for Blonde despite how divisive this extraordinary horror film was.

I don't think you can say Riseborough is good and then be upset that both Davis and Deadwyler were passed over. Obviously, it's not Riseborough who pushed out either of them undeservedly, because she absolutely does deserve it (amazing performance). 

The person who "actually" bumped Deadwyler I'm guessing is Michelle Williams, who has been nominated four times previously without a win, so this is her chance at a legacy award, I'd guess.

I also can't believe Fisher claimed Williams was "safe". Yeoh and Blanchett were the only truly safe ones, IMO.

I am pleased about Ana de Armas, she is great, wouldn't be among my Top 5, but undoubtedly she is amazing.

The entire Riseborough case is completely nuts. No one understood how this grassroot campaign managed to secure her a nomination in ONE WEEK. This is, by far, the weirdest and most astounding campaign I have ever seen. What Frances Fisher managed to do in one week, it is amazing. BTW, Michelle that Fisher claimed was safe was Yeoh, not Williams. 

I don't believe Williams bumped Deadwyler, as she was 3rd/4th throughout the past few months. People doubted De Armas, but she got in AACTA, BAFTA, Globe... We should all have been wiser about her. So, actually instead of Viola and Danielle being lock as Fisher claimed, they were competing for the last spot. Williams is in Steven Spielberg movie, previously nominated actress, someone Hollywood generally likes. She wasn't lock, but it would be a surprise if she missed. She is far from my favorite, but when you play Spielberg's mother, you can count on the votes. 

I agree that it is bizarre of Fisher to have claimed anyone but Michelle (Yeoh) and Cate being lock. Many people immediately responded to this last week. We now see the results. 

I mean, it is not some great crime what they did. But, there is a certain level of distastefulness in calling for people to vote. Not, like "watch this movie, she is great." Everything was "She is brilliant, vote for her." And for the category that could have been diverse and the category that struggles with diversity the most... This sort of mattered.

49 minutes ago, Raja said:

Feels weird that Nope wasn't nomited for Sound whereas something like Top Gun was. Odd choice. Also, 10 movies for best film are *way* too many

The biggest surprise for me was that Claudio Miranda missed for Cinematography for TP:M. 

And yes, most people agree that this is one of the years where 10 movies feel too many for Best Picture category.  

14 minutes ago, Mladen said:

And yes, most people agree that this is one of the years where 10 movies feel too many for Best Picture category.  

Personally I think most years are that way. They just expanded the list to give fan service and play politics. I'm halfway through the BP nominees so far and EEAAO is the only one that truly belongs, and I can already guess Avatar doesn't either. Am really curious about Tar and Banshees, the latter I might check out tonight. 

34 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

EEAAO

It will win. Calling it now. Fight me you bastards.

That said, I need to catch up on the best picture category.

I have seen most of the films in the animation category. Pinnochio is going to take it, although I'm really fascinated by Marcel the Shell with Shoes On. I completely missed that one. The trailer looks interesting.

Was Jibaro not eligible in the animated short category?

4 hours ago, Mladen said:

The biggest surprise for me was that Claudio Miranda missed for Cinematography for TP:M

Just rewatched Se7en and found his name as gaffer in credits. Khondji now in for Bardo, how come it got no other major noms?

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Personally I think most years are that way. They just expanded the list to give fan service and play politics. I'm halfway through the BP nominees so far and EEAAO is the only one that truly belongs, and I can already guess Avatar doesn't either. Am really curious about Tar and Banshees, the latter I might check out tonight. 

I think original idea was good - expanding the field so both indie darlings and blockbusters can get in. Alas, I feel that both types of the movies went sideways - blockbusters and big-budget movies became so generic and uninspiring and indies became too highbrow and oriented towards smaller and smaller circle of people. That is why it is difficult to find balance.

Looking forward to what you're going to think about TAR. It is my favorite movie of the year.

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

It will win. Calling it now. Fight me you bastards.

That said, I need to catch up on the best picture category.

I have seen most of the films in the animation category. Pinnochio is going to take it, although I'm really fascinated by Marcel the Shell with Shoes On. I completely missed that one. The trailer looks interesting.

Was Jibaro not eligible in the animated short category?

Yeah, EEAAO is probably winning. I don't see passion for The Fabelmans and Banshees, TG:M may be their choice, but it did underperform, even in category we all thought it would win - Cinematography. TAR is too highbrow for winning.

As for Jibaro, I just checked the shortlist. No, it was not eligible.

22 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Just rewatched Se7en and found his name as gaffer in credits. Khondji now in for Bardo, how come it got no other major noms?

Oh, yes... Miranda is a great cinematographer. He worked on several movies with Kosinski, including Oblivion and Tron: Legacy. He has also done cinematography for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" and "Life of Pi". 

As for Bardo, it didn't get any major nods as it was panned in Venice and never recovered from bad reception. 

3 hours ago, Mladen said:

Yeah, EEAAO is probably winning. I don't see passion for The Fabelmans and Banshees, TG:M may be their choice, but it did underperform, even in category we all thought it would win - Cinematography. TAR is too highbrow for winning.

TG:M didn't get a nom for cinematography? Wow.

Fabelmans: Spielberg. Movie about the art of movie making. It's in the script. Haven't seen it. I remember he got nominated for The Post, which was a movie he basically shat out while he was in post production on Ready Player One. I didn't think it was all that great. Certainly not deserving of a best picture nom.

I think original idea was good - expanding the field so both indie darlings and blockbusters can get in. Alas, I feel that both types of the movies went sideways - blockbusters and big-budget movies became so generic and uninspiring and indies became too highbrow and oriented towards smaller and smaller circle of people. That is why it is difficult to find balance.

Looking forward to what you're going to think about TAR. It is my favorite movie of the year.

It helps that there were 2022 Blockbusters worthy of being nominated.

Archived