Football: Does Infantino have a Time Turner?

Corvinus85

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Neymar doesn't seem like he's sure he'll be with the national team going forward. That would be a shame if he's serious. 

It's paradoxical, but, while he's clearly Brazil's best player, the team might be better off without him in the long run.  The team gets too dependent of him when he's on the pitch, and younger players tend to hide behind him. At the same time, while not as much as a Primadonna as Cristiano, he's not as driven either and tends to lose focus on football 

20 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

It's paradoxical, but, while he's clearly Brazil's best player, the team might be better off without him in the long run.  The team gets too dependent of him when he's on the pitch, and younger players tend to hide behind him. At the same time, while not as much as a Primadonna as Cristiano, he's not as driven either and tends to lose focus on football 

Idk about that. He's still probably one of the five most dangerous offensive players in the world and you can clearly tell when a team lacks that kind of threat. They do differ to him too much and could benefit from a change in style of play, but not having him will make the team worse unless age (or injuries) catches up with him soon. Personally I hope he plays in the 2026 WC. 

As the match was winding down, an NPR reporter witnessed a commotion in the press tribune at Lusail Stadium. Reporters scattered as Wahl collapsed. Paramedics responded to the seating area where he was and performed CPR. After many minutes, they took him away on a stretcher while using an automatic chest compressor to continue applying CPR.

Wahl's wife and brother both confirmed his death to NPR. He was 48.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

He's still probably one of the five most dangerous offensive players in the world and you can clearly tell when a team lacks that kind of threat.

I don't know if Brazil necessarily would be better off without him, and as per for the last few weeks can't comment on this tournament specifically, but I think it is fair to say that Brazil have several other players who, even if not as accomplished as Neymar just yet, are in his class or close to in terms of attacking threat, so I can buy those players being freed up in Neymar's absence. A team with Vinicius, Richarlison and Rodrygo in shouldn't find itself in a position where they're going 'oh no, where is the threat gonna come from'. 

But if there is a problem with him misbalancing the squad it may well be a Tite thing more than a Neymar thing. 

4 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

So thinking more on the Brazil game, Raphina was the biggest flop , yet Tite continued to play him.

Also, why bring on Fred instead of Gumaires or Fab ?

For the same reason he insisted on Gabriel Jesus in 2018 when Firmino was playing better, or insisted on calling him even after he stayed 19 games without scoring for Brazil, or why did he insisted on Daniel Alves when he hasn't played well since 2019- hell, in the last year, he stayed without playing between September and January 2022 then in the two months before the WC.

It's because once a player starts playing well for him, it's virtually impossible for Tite to give up on him- at most, he'll go to the bench, but still be constantly used; former starters that did very well being dropped is rare, and usually only happens after a long time. Even if the players hasn't played well in years for Brazil, such as Alves, he still often doesn't let go- he seems to think he's being disloyal, is just afraid of changing things, or both. 

As for Fred, the fact that most people here, myself included, where surprised when he was dropped for Vini Jr. it's a good indication of what I'm talking about. He played better for Brazil than for United, but still even then it was clear Brazil had better choices. But since he did well before, he was kept until the last minute, and then even after being dropped was used 4 times in 5 games (the same number of games as the other midfield reserves- Fabinho, Bruno and Everton Ribeiro- put together, despite him being clearly the worst of the four, in both skill and current form)

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I wanted Argentina to win because of how much it would piss of Rapealdo. But now they can get fucked. 

I swear to god, I've never seen such ridiculous scrotum licking as the BBC crew last night.

Fuck Messi. And all the rest of those cheating, classless wankers.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Fuck Messi. And all the rest of those cheating, classless wankers.

Seems harsh on Messi.

Whoever wins the France England game will presumably be favourites to win the thing.  Portugal did very well in their last game but teams often find it hard to reproduce that kind of form (when they haven't previously), so i'm thinking Morocco might grind their way to victory in that game.

Neymar will be 34 in the next World Cup.  I could see how that is too far for him.  But then, Messi did dally with international retirement after the last WC.  WC failure can be quite an emotional time.

As a Scot, all I have to say is…

Vive la France!

In seriousness, I quite like the current England manager and team. Watching them get slated before the European Cup only to almost win it, leading to screechinng u-turns by the likes of Priti Patel was funny

Archived