Football: Does Infantino have a Time Turner?

Corvinus85

7 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

And a sport where your every decision is pretty much made for you before you even carry out the action.  NFL surely requires less decision making ability than any other sport on earth.  Every step is mapped out for you in advance.   The whole match is basically a free kick/corner routine. 

Lol, you've clearly never been a defensive back, where nothing is mapped out for you. And even if you just want to stick to offense, the amount of time it takes to possibly get one single play correctly executed in a game is enormous. The amount of study that takes would make Neymar's face melt Raiders of the Lost Ark style.

5 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Well here in 'Murica the most common belief is that the hardest thing in sports is hitting a round ball with a round bat. Nevermind that you hardly have to do much else in said sport.

I'd argue it's hitting a baseball or returning a great tennis serve. The speed on both has just reached an insane point before you consider how great players can make the ball move.

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I'm not even sure what Ty's argument is anymore. 

Is it that eleven players with the physical profile of your typical NFL player are going to wipe the floor with eleven players built like Messi? 

'Cos that's just horseshit. 

I suspect those big lumps would be made to look like a bunch of mugs pretty quickly. 

When have I ever once argued this? I got a good laugh at the tweet about Aaron Donald playing against Messi. Of course that wouldn't work. 

7 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Is it that eleven players with the physical profile of your typical NFL player are going to wipe the floor with eleven players built like Messi? 

The impression I get of his argument is that if America was as invested in football as in their own little sports, they'd create bigger Messis. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lol, you've clearly never been a defensive back, where nothing is mapped out for you. And even if you just want to stick to offense, the amount of time it takes to possibly get one single play correctly executed in a game is enormous. The amount of study that takes would make Neymar's face melt Raiders of the Lost Ark style.

its like comparing draughts to chess.  

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'd argue it's hitting a baseball or returning a great tennis serve. The speed on both has just reached an insane point before you consider how great players can make the ball move.

When have I ever once argued this? I got a good laugh at the tweet about Aaron Donald playing against Messi. Of course that wouldn't work. 

Yes, that's what I was referring to. I don't wish to pile on these arguments by adding baseball to it, but know that I don't hold that belief.

4 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

its like comparing draughts to chess.  

Everything is moving faster and you have to make several quick decisions. I still don't get the need to dismiss the intelligence it takes to play other sports.

4 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Yes, that's what I was referring to. I don't wish to pile on these arguments by adding baseball to it, but know that I don't hold that belief.

I get there's a lot about baseball that probably isn't that hard for great athletes across sports to do if they dedicated themselves to it. But basically every journalist I've ever listened to who has covered a number of different sports says that hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do and that damn near everyone of us who shit our pants and quit the first time we saw a 100mph fastball up and in. 

4 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

If Baseball and Basketball and your padded and helmeted version of 'football' are so great, why is actual football the most popular sport in the world?

Simple, it's the most accessible and it's also a lot of fun. Basketball and baseball are also played all over the world, mind you. American football will never catch on globally. It's hilarious the NFL thinks it can try having a European division. 

To be fair, I can totally buy that hitting a full-speed baseball with something as narrow as a baseball bat could be the hardest thing in sports in terms of just the single moment of precise co-ordination and timing.

But for athletes training it that difficulty is mitigated by the fact that that's all you're thinking about, and you can focus on practicing it in a way that other sports can't replicate. So I don't think that makes it anything close to the most difficult sport. 

28 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Basketball and baseball are also played all over the world, mind you.

Maybe so. But in most countries outside of the US, whilst being every bit as accessible as football, baseball and basketball remain fringe sports. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Everything is moving faster and you have to make several quick decisions. I still don't get the need to dismiss the intelligence it takes to play other sports.

Not other sports, NFL only.  I've seen the wonderlic scores of the players, most of them are thick as a whale omelette. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

And my question remains: why not both?

The insinuation that elite basketball and American football players aren't also required to do this is frankly insulting. 

But...They're not. Any more than elite football players are not required to know how to have a short putting game or have the hand eye coordination with power to hit a fastball.

The skills are simply different. Oh, I'm sure plenty of nfl players would be good, ish, because being a good athlete makes things easier - but almost none of them will be elite and certainly none will be elite by default. Furthermore a whole lot of things that select in the NFL and NBA don't matter in the least. The NFL does not as a rule select for endurance or running miles a day, it requires massive explosive power of the whole body. The NBA focusing on height matters very little. Having skills with hand coordination barely matters. 

You might as well ask why all NFL players cannot play qb on a dime. Or why good olinemen don't go out and play receiver. It's that stupid of a question but even more so. 

I mentioned it to my wife but chances are better that the untapped potential from soccer players in the US wouldn't come from other major sports that exist - it'd come from something like hip-hop dance. And even that doesn't have the fast decision making and 3d coordination that football has.

37 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

I mentioned it to my wife but chances are better that the untapped potential from soccer players in the US wouldn't come from other major sports that exist - it'd come from something like hip-hop dance. And even that doesn't have the fast decision making and 3d coordination that football has.

I think the untapped potential in the US probably comes from people who do play football (soccer) and are quite good at it. A lot of people in the US do play some football they just don't do it enough at a young age to develop into world class players.

9 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Apparently Ronaldo threw a hissy fit because he was substituted against South Korea. Reports that he's to be dropped from the starting XI for tonight's game. He must've behaved like a pissy little bitch for Fernando Santos to drop him.

It seems many Portuguese fans would be in agreement with this decision. https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/portuguese-newspaper-readers-vote-cristiano-ronaldo-benched-world-cup/blt194b2b211caabd35

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

whilst being every bit as accessible as football, baseball and basketball 

To be fair, this isn't true. One of the reasons football spread so fast and, also, has such high standards of play, is that apart from the rules being simple, literally all you need is the ball, and (for some version of the game) at least two players. Basketball isn't too far off, but you can't improvise a hoop quite as easily as a goal and it has to be a fairly specific sort of ball, whereas you can play football with almost anything if it comes to it.

Baseball isn't close. You need more equipment, more space, and to play it functionally, more players. 

Archived