Football: Does Infantino have a Time Turner?

Corvinus85

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

To be fair, this isn't true. One of the reasons football spread so fast and, also, has such high standards of play, is that apart from the rules being simple, literally all you need is the ball, and (for some version of the game) at least two players. Basketball isn't too far off, but you can't improvise a hoop quite as easily as a goal and it has to be a fairly specific sort of ball, whereas you can play football with almost anything if it comes to it.

Baseball isn't close. You need more equipment, more space, and to play it functionally, more players. 

Hell, you don't even need a football- when I was a kid in school, we used tennis balls when we didn't have one, and in the absence of those, we just smashed a Coca-Cola can and used it instead 

Anyway, regarding the availability of soccer players in the US vs the world, here's my take:

In Europe, the professional players we see playing weekend by weekend have risen from football academies. Some may have come from small local club teams, but regardless, they honed their skills playing the better part of each year in a semi-pro environment. I don't know how well organized sports are at the academic level (high schools, colleges etc). I can tell you that growing up in Romania it was crap to non-existent. All the good soccer/football players went to football academies and from there they advanced to pro level.

In the US, no matter the sport, players rise from the academic system. Elementary school - middle school - high school - university - pro. Kids don't have the time to play their sport on a daily basis. And they only play for about a third of the year, as sports are seasonal. This seems to work well enough for most sports, but does it really produce the best possible athletes? And @Tywin et al. this would likely be a major reason why the NFL should struggle to set up an European league. How would they recruit?

7 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Hell, you don't even need a football- when I was a kid in school, we used tennis balls when we didn't have one, and in the absence of those, we just smashed a Coca-Cola can and used it instead 

I think I tried with a racket ball in an indoor setting, but on the streets it was as low as a handball for me.

9 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

when I was a kid in school, we used tennis balls when we didn't have one,

My primary school only ever allowed us to play with tennis balls for some reason (at break, obviously had real ones in PE/footy practice) and to this day I'm convinced that that rule and our school regularly being the best in the town when it came to games was not a coincidence.

Anyway, lol Spain. 

It's the sheer volume of football I played that is difficult to replicate where multiple sports are played. This was my week.

Monday 5 a side

Tuesday club training

Wednesday school matches

Thursday 5 a side

Friday school training

Saturday school matches or county matches

Sunday club matches

I'm not surprised my knees and ankles are fucked and that I had thoroughly fallen out of love with football by age 16. 

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Maybe so. But in most countries outside of the US, whilst being every bit as accessible as football, baseball and basketball remain fringe sports. 

Baseball is regional, but it's not just played in the US. It's very popular in Central America and Asia as well. Basketball, otoh, is growing in popularity all over the world. People all over know who LeBron is, compared to someone like Tom Brady who despite being the best NFL player ever probably wouldn't get recognized by over half the world's population if you showed them a pic of him saying "I'm Tom Brady."

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Not other sports, NFL only.  I've seen the wonderlic scores of the players, most of them are thick as a whale omelette. 

Wonderlic is not a great measurement system. I took it twice and got a terrible score and a really good one. The only difference was with the former I tried to get every answer right while on the latter I just did it as fast as possible and guessed a bunch.

Anyways, my push back is this constant suggestion that international football takes a great deal of intelligence to excel at while other sports, specifically ones popular in the US, do not. 

1 hour ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

You might as well ask why all NFL players cannot play qb on a dime.

I have never argued you can change sports or even positions within a single sport on a dime. That's silly. Jordan tried that and we saw how bad he was at baseball. They only let him do it because he was the most famous athlete in the country and paid his way in.

26 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

In the US, no matter the sport, players rise from the academic system. Elementary school - middle school - high school - university - pro. Kids don't have the time to play their sport on a daily basis. And they only play for about a third of the year, as sports are seasonal. This seems to work well enough for most sports, but does it really produce the best possible athletes? And @Tywin et al. this would likely be a major reason why the NFL should struggle to set up an European league. How would they recruit?

Smaller sport in comparison to football and football but that's not the only way it goes for hockey. If you are good enough you can play Juniors in the northern states and of course go to Canada where you can do it too.  Basketball is moving that way too with the acadamies that have nothing to do with school and are actually just for playing basketball,

28 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I can only speak from my own experiences, but as a high school American football player the school let me set my academic schedule around training, and then I was expected to still carry a regular course load while also working out/practicing for several hours everyday. And that was just at a public school that was okay at the sport. Private academies similar, but not equal to what you see in Europe are becoming more common. There's a number of them now and as far as I can tell a lot of the kids going to them receive barely anything like a normal education.

NFL in Europe will never work, even if we assumed there was some buy in. It's a complicated sport that's expensive as hell to play. I can watch a game of soccer or basketball and explain the basics to someone who has never seen it and they'll probably get it, understanding that there's obviously a lot more nuance than that. American football, I'm not so sure. And that's before we get to appeal which probably will also never happen. It will always be niche outside of North America.

Anyways, looks like I missed one hell of an upset while at pt.

5 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Smaller sport in comparison to football and football but that's not the only way it goes for hockey. If you are good enough you can play Juniors in the northern states and of course go to Canada where you can do it too.  Basketball is moving that way too with the acadamies that have nothing to do with school and are actually just for playing basketball,

Add tennis to that list. I'd recommend a few docs on Netflix. They turn those kids into robots at such a young age. 

29 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Since winning the WC in 2010, Spain have only won 3 out of 11 WC games - Australia, Iran and Costa Rica.

That's shocking to read. The 2010 Spain team is what made me see the beauty in the sport. Not sure I've seen anything since on a national team level. 

Archived