U.S politics: You got knocked the Warnocked out:

Varysblackfyre321

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I will say that IF she runs, the idea that she would siphon as many or more Republican votes as Democratic votes to be very unlikely.  I think a 3 way race is at the very least a big advantage for the Republicans. 

I don't see why you'd assume this is "very unlikely."  Especially without knowing the nominees.  Again, the numbers clearly suggest she has just as much of an opportunity with Republican-inclined voters as Democrat-inclined.  And if the nominees are, say, Gallego and Black Masters, I could easily see Masters coming in third.

44 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah I don't know the answer to this question.  Not sure anybody does because I doubt there are any Senate rules on it.

That's what I figured. And it's not like it'd ever happen anyway, just a curiosity for me.

I remember there was enough of a senate fight as was after 2008, when the Democratic majority was large enough that they pushed to have 2-senator majority on every committee instead of the standard 1-senator. 

11 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

What is the bench even look like for Democrats in Arizona? Was there, is there, even a candidate who would unseat her in a primary? 

It's pretty strong these days actually. And there was starting to be a consensus that Ruben Gallego would primary her. He still might run, but I imagine there's going to be a lot of "wait and see" going on.

ETA: Sure sounds like he's planning on still running:

22 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

What is the bench even look like for Democrats in Arizona? Was there, is there, even a candidate who would unseat her in a primary? 

Yes, Ruben Gallego was widely expected to challenge her and he'd be an excellent candidate - even for the general election.  A poll all the way back in January had her defeating Sinema in a primary 74 to 16.  He's already attacked Sinema this morning for her decision.

ETA:  Should be noted Gallego is already fundraising for a potential campaign - 

Rep. Ruben Gallego (D-Ariz.) is “thinking of running” for U.S. Senate, according to a fundraising text his campaign sent out on Friday.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I believe in Textualism.  If we can make the Constitution say anything we want it to say it is already dead letter.  Gorsuch’s reading “Sex” to include “sexual orientation” was a beautiful application of “Textualism” arriving at a result his compatriots may not have agreed to politically.  

Buddy that's how things have always worked. You can make that document mean whatever you want outside of the framework parts.

You know, just like religion. The text can mean whatever you want it to mean, and ignore the parts that contradict you!!! :rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, Fez said:

It's pretty strong these days actually. And there was starting to be a consensus that Ruben Gallego would primary her. He still might run, but I imagine there's going to be a lot of "wait and see" going on.

ETA: Sure sounds like he's planning on still running:

Good. I hope she loses all her funding from the party as well. Let her crawl to her corporate overlords. What a disgrace. 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Good. I hope she loses all her funding from the party as well. Let her crawl to her corporate overlords. What a disgrace. 

Indeed.

28 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Buddy that's how things have always worked. You can make that document mean whatever you want outside of the framework parts.

You know, just like religion. The text can mean whatever you want it to mean, and ignore the parts that contradict you!!! /cdn-cgi/mirage/6dc3d3eb1a38505cabd90fb7ffd43995f14702a0df4cf40d6136ae67a48e140e/1280/https://asoiaf.westeros.org/uploads/emoticons/default_rolleyes.gif

It isn’t supposed to work that way.

21 minutes ago, JGP said:

Indeed.

Well, the above had such a "too good to be true" quality that I had to check it. It actually seems to be completely real, with the quotes coming from the newspaper "The Hartford Courant", which as a Connecticut paper would have had its own reporters following Lieberman to Tucson.

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-xpm-2003-03-24-0303240270-story.html

15 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Then why have a written Constitution… at all?

You can again ask the same thing about any religious text. Just use the Bible. Why have a religion built around an openminded, pacificist, liberal Jew that leads people to be closeminded, hateful, violent and anti-Semitic? Or do you think Jesus would love guns more than human life? 

People seeking power will always manipulate whatever written Constitution you create. 

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

In random news, saw Colorado Senator John Hickenlooper just had a baby - via surrogate.  He's 70 years old, five months older than my father.  His (second) wife is 44.  

He obviously likes doing things later than usual, since his first child (with his previous wife) was born when he was 50. 

11 hours ago, DMC said:

Not for under a gram of weed/hash, no.

Ok fair enough but still I doubt anyone would care if I got locked up for the same. Obey they laws of the country your in and all that. Having drugs in an international airport in any amount is pretty dumb. I would have loved to bring some weed candy for my quarantine but I didn't because no way it would be worth it. 

6 minutes ago, Darzin said:

Having drugs in an international airport in any amount is pretty dumb.

Agreed.  Or rather, having any drugs while in an airport where you aren't a citizen of that country is pretty dumb.

On 12/7/2022 at 9:10 AM, hauberk said:

My mind is blown that the vaccine mandate continues to be such a big deal given all of the other mandatory shots that come with military service.  

For real. My God--when I got my first dose back in 98, my memory is I walked down a line with healthcare workers on both sides of the line. As you walked, they jabbed you until the end of the line where you bent over and got a penicillin shot in the butt which left me (and all the other new soldiers) hobbled for a week. 

Archived