U.S politics: You got knocked the Warnocked out:

Varysblackfyre321

3 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Yeah, I just read in another news story how he was just driving an Uber to help get by. I also read in the same story that he at one point made 94 K a year in some political job, which is a decent chunk change, at least to me. I don't have all the facts, but I think the dude's struggles are genuine. And I've been in similar situations starting up a new job when you haven't been paid the first check yet.

Mostly I'm just glad there's someone in Congress actually bringing these rental issues up. Because these 60 year old white male fuckers aren't going to. Either they are the landlords or they have simply never been denied a lease in their lives.

AOC lives in a pretty swanky building in DC! (https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/poor-people-not-allowed-in-aocs-luxury-apartment-complex). 

There are plenty of cheaper and easier to rent options around (like my building) but there are also very nice buildings with rooftop pools and cinema rooms.  I would be interested to know where he applied.  

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez says she won't be able to afford to rent in DC until she starts collecting her congressional salary

https://www.businessinsider.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-cant-afford-dc-rent-until-her-salary-starts-2018-11

What people who don't get who don't live in cities like D.C. and NYC is there is no choice but to live in high-end rental conditions because that is all there is, along with dilapidated, falling apart public housing.  This is why everyone has multiple roommates.

I mean, there is a middle ground.  I haven't lived in DC for 15-ish years but when I did one of the apartment complexes was the Berkshires.  Quickly checking apartments.com, one bedrooms are going for about $2k a month right now.  Still, our application never would have been accepted if my dad didn't cosign.  I also lived in/rented a number of houses with multiple roommates, and same story.  At least one of our parents always cosigned the lease.

25 minutes ago, DMC said:

I mean, there is a middle ground.  I haven't lived in DC for 15-ish years but when I did one of the apartment complexes was the Berkshires.  Quickly checking apartments.com, one bedrooms are going for about $2k a month right now.  Still, our application never would have been accepted if my dad didn't cosign.  I also lived in/rented a number of houses with multiple roommates, and same story.  At least one of our parents always cosigned the lease.

My daughter is applying for several fellowships in DC for the Summer… I take it that it is a very good thing she has family in the area she can crash with?

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

My daughter is applying for several fellowships in DC for the Summer… I take it that it is a very good thing she has family in the area she can crash with?

Almost certainly sure.  There are obviously quite a few other frequenters of this thread that know much more about living in DC than I do though.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez says she won't be able to afford to rent in DC until she starts collecting her congressional salary

https://www.businessinsider.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-cant-afford-dc-rent-until-her-salary-starts-2018-11

What people who don't get who don't live in cities like D.C. and NYC is there is no choice but to live in high-end rental conditions because that is all there is, along with dilapidated, falling apart public housing.  This is why everyone has multiple roommates.

Also, as AOC has received threats including rape and death threats, the building most likely has high security and that costs.

Rent is way out of control here in DC, and the bordering suburbs. We moved into DC in 2016 after our rent in MoCo was jacked up enough to merit the move. We simply weren't saving $ living a 45 minute subway ride away. 

There is an insane amount of new buildings going up around our neighborhood and the prices are over $2500K for 400 sq feet. And if you are a car owner you're paying 150-200 for a garage parking spot.

10 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Rent is way out of control here in DC, and the bordering suburbs. We moved into DC in 2016 after our rent in MoCo was jacked up enough to merit the move. We simply weren't saving $ living a 45 minute subway ride away. 

There is an insane amount of new buildings going up around our neighborhood and the prices are over $2500K for 400 sq feet. And if you are a car owner you're paying 150-200 for a garage parking spot.

My Mom lives in Berryville and their jacking her rent there too.

Arizona Gov. Ducey stacks containers on border at term’s end
Gov.-elect Katie Hobbs said she hasn’t decided what to do about the containers.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/12/11/arizona-ducey-border-containers-katie-hobbs-00073374

SAN RAFAEL VALLEY, Arizona — Work crews have steadily erected hundreds of double-stacked shipping containers topped by razor wire along Arizona’s remote eastern boundary with Mexico in a bold show of border enforcement by Republican Gov. Doug Ducey even as he prepares to leave office.

Until protesters slowed, then largely halted the work in recent days, Ducey pressed forward over the objections of the U.S. government, environmentalists and an incoming governor who has called it a poor use of resources.

Democratic Gov.-elect Katie Hobbs said last week she was “looking at all the options” and hasn’t decided what to do about the containers after her Jan. 5. inauguration. She previously suggested the containers be repurposed as affordable housing, an increasingly popular option for homeless and low-income people.

“I don’t know how much it will cost to remove the containers and what the cost will be,” Hobbs told Phoenix PBS TV station KAET in an interview Wednesday.

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

My Mom lives in Berryville and their jacking her rent there too.

Everyone's rent is insane. It's almost like we should not allow this, but the rich need to be even richer or else they'll be sad, so like, fuck everyone else?

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Everyone's rent is insane. It's almost like we should not allow this, but the rich need to be even richer or else they'll be sad, so like, fuck everyone else?

Yup. And the bastards build more luxury unit’s these days than just units to live in that don’t have all expensive ‘upscale’ crap. 

6 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/12/11/arizona-ducey-border-containers-katie-hobbs-00073374

I don't understand the purpose of these container walls other than to be politically performative.

First, they don't have the right to put them on either US Forest Service or Tohono O'odham Indian reservation land, so you can just walk around them further west.

Second, they are paying for empty shipping containers, a resource that has a negative value in various locations around here.

Third, they are screwing up animal movements and bird migration by erecting this trash heap in the desert.

The Trump Wall construction already damaged the San Pedro River basin, so I guess they are looking for a cherry to put on top?

I am all for enforcing immigration laws.  However, this is just a stunt that accomplishes nothing in that direction, wastes money and hurts wildlife.  Three kinds of stupid wrapped up in one.

6 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

What to do with those containers is a no brainer.

They should be moved off tribal reservation and federal forest lands and stacked to the skies on any and all of Gov. Ducey and any of his families properties.

On 12/9/2022 at 2:26 PM, LongRider said:

When I was in basic , I was in USAF Reserves and went through basic training like any other recruit.  
We were given a Swine Flu shot and no choice about it.  It was also controversial at the time.  At I felt like ‘join the AF, become a pin cushion’. 
:dunno:

Crazy that it was controversial back then (hell, even now). The military will inoculate the shit out of its troops. 

On 12/9/2022 at 6:15 PM, Martell Spy said:

First Gen Z congressman-elect says he was denied DC apartment over bad credit

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/09/politics/maxwell-frost-dc-apartment-denied/index.html

Wonder if the progressive Caucus can help out their young members? You'd think they would understand this.

Marjorie Taylor Greene: Capitol attack ‘would’ve been armed’ if I was in charge
Far-right congresswoman says the violent crowd would have won on January 6 if she and Steve Bannon had planned it

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/dec/12/marjorie-taylor-greene-jan-6-capitol-attack-armed-speech

The far-right congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene has bragged that had she and the former Donald Trump White House strategist Steve Bannon been in charge of organizing the insurrection at the US Capitol on January 6, 2021, the violent crowd would have won, and everyone in it “would’ve been armed”.

The notorious provocateur made her comments about the deadly January 6 attack during a speech to a gala of the New York Young Republicans Club on Park Avenue in Manhattan on Saturday night. Hatewatch monitored the event on behalf of the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Archived