U.S politics: You got knocked the Warnocked out:

Varysblackfyre321

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Really????

Geez, whenever we in Canada tell US friends to shut up and stop bitching and moaning about their tough lives and tell them about the taxes we pay, they’ve been coming back and citing all the taxes they pay and tell us they get very little for their taxes, that at the very least we have Universal Health Care, lengthy maternity leave, and a bunch of other benefits not available in the US.

Do you guys really want to become a third world nation that desperately?

The Florida miracle is coming to Washington D.C, baby! 

I'm half-kidding, but only half.  Realistically, a President RdS with a Republican Congress (but no filibuster-proof majority) is going to cut taxes through reconciliation.  If there was ever a constituency for responsible fiscal governance in the halls of the U.S. Congress, it has shriveled and died.   

Raise your hand if you saw it coming!   :P

Lawyers for former president Donald Trump found at least two items marked classified after an outside team hired by Trump searched a storage unit in West Palm Beach, Fla., used by the former president, according to people familiar with the matter.

Those items were immediately turned over to the FBI, according to those people, who like others spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive matters.

The search was one of at least three searches conducted by an outside team of his properties for classified materials in recent weeks, after they were pressed by a federal judge to attest they had fully complied with a May grand jury subpoena to turn over all materials bearing classified markings, according to people familiar with the matter.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So, how crazy are Paul Gosar’s constituants?

Kudos to Paul Gosar for telling the truth.  Let's get it out in the open.  We should fight the 2024 election on whether to terminate the constitution or keep it.   

@SerScott as a lawyer I hope you find it funny that Trump is talking about the Founders' intent.  Like a lot of things Trump, that so 1980s.

He should be talking about how it was the original public understanding that the Constitution stood terminated as soon as someone with the initials DJT lost an election. 

22 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I'm half-kidding, but only half.

You're entirely kidding.  A Republican president would have to repeal the 16th amendment to abolish the federal income tax.

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

His cultists would probably buy into that… including Gosar.

Cult is such a strong word.

To describe Trumpistan you need a STRonGEr word, OK? Much stronger, it's gotta be so strong. So strong, ok? People... neeD ToLookAtThisWord and know this is a strong guy. 

It's a strong guy, ok? You need to know it. 

So strong...

How strong? Well he's stronger than Hill-Airy Clin-Tonne 

Stronger than her, ok? He picked up that old white lady, he picked her up in Ohio and Michigan and in Texas andToranntito... he picked her up in Umzakistan and TurkTaliban too, ok? Picked her up and gave her the people's justice because I, Tonald Drump, am the strongest.

So strong. 

9 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

So what was the strategy there?

To (attempt to) give him plausible deniability or something?

No, to find any classified documents and return them to NARA.  They also reported this to the FBI. 

5 minutes ago, LongRider said:

No, to find any classified documents and return them to NARA.  They also reported this to the FBI. 

No i know what the search was for, im wondering why it was Trump attorneys digging up the goods on their own client?

Is it a matter of his own attorneys needing to protect their liability?

Eta: Then again,  he's probably in arrears for millions to them, cheapskating and so forth.

2 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

No i know what the search was for, im wondering why it was Trump attorneys digging up the goods on their own clien?

Is it a matter of his own attorneys needing to protect their liability?

Since a federal judge ordered them to ensure that there were no more such docs there, I imagine it was to protect themselves.

45 minutes ago, JGP said:

What does this mean?

edit: @DMC, or anyone else dialed in who cares to answer.

It means Susan Collins thinks ECA reform will be added to the omnibus bill in order to secure passage.  Will it?  We'll see.  Funding runs out on December 16 - next Friday - and leadership on both sides are still jockeying.  It remains unclear whether we'll get an "omnibus," in other words an actual budget, or instead we'll get a CR (continuing resolution) that will just extend the current budget/spending.  The latter is what McCarthy is pushing for so the incoming GOP House can have more leverage in budget negotiations.

But as I said earlier, while ECA reform has a chance at passing, time is running out and likely the only way it will be is if it's attached to the next spending bill - whether it be an omnibus or a CR.  That's why Collins is pushing for this.

3 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Since a federal judge ordered them to ensure that there were no more such docs there, I imagine it was to protect themselves.

This.  If there was an intent to protect Trump, it was probably to show belated compliance.  Relevant to mitigation, and possibly the charging decision. 

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

You're entirely kidding.  A Republican president would have to repeal the 16th amendment to abolish the federal income tax.

You could just set it to zero. 

What I am convinced about is that RDS will run on cutting taxes likely every Republican since time immemorial.  Bush cut taxes, Trump cut taxes.  You gotta cut taxes to get elected or re-elected.  

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

It means Susan Collins thinks ECA reform will be added to the omnibus bill in order to secure passage.  Will it?  We'll see.  Funding runs out on December 16 - next Friday - and leadership on both sides are still jockeying.  It remains unclear whether we'll get an "omnibus," in other words an actual budget, or instead we'll get a CR (continuing resolution) that will just extend the current budget/spending.  The latter is what McCarthy is pushing for so the incoming GOP House can have more leverage in budget negotiations.

But as I said earlier, while ECA reform has a chance at passing, time is running out and likely the only way it will be is if it's attached to the next spending bill - whether it be an omnibus or a CR.  That's why Collins is pushing for this.

Thanks, yo.

1 minute ago, Gaston de Foix said:

What I am convinced about is that RDS will run on cutting taxes likely every Republican since time immemorial.  Bush cut taxes, Trump cut taxes.  You gotta cut taxes to get elected or re-elected.  

Well, no shit.  But no, he's not going to set it at zero.  Hell, Rick Scott wanted to INCREASE taxes on all the poors that don't pay any federal income tax.

NYT: “Supreme Court Seems Split Over Case That Could Transform Federal Elections

Looks like it will like depend on Barrett or Kavanaugh. I’m not holding my breath though.

The insanity that Alito, Gorsuch and Thomas think that there’s no need to have checks and balance on state legislatures when it comes to elections, especially considering the recently attempted coup just goes to show that these idiots care nothing about upholding voting rights or democracy.

37 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, no shit.  But no, he's not going to set it at zero.  Hell, Rick Scott wanted to INCREASE taxes on all the poors that don't pay any federal income tax.

True, but the point about abolishing it is fair - you can make absurdly large changes to income tax including effectively removing it entirely without any changes to the constitution.

Personally I think that is less likely to happen and instead what you'll see is abolishing social security and Medicare as at least a public good if not entirely gone.

1 minute ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

True, but the point about abolishing it is fair - you can make absurdly large changes to income tax including effectively removing it entirely without any changes to the constitution.

The point about abolishing it is setting the federal income tax rate to zero isn't going to happen.

1 minute ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Personally I think that is less likely to happen and instead what you'll see is abolishing social security and Medicare as at least a public good if not entirely gone.

Neither is this.

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

The point about abolishing it is setting the federal income tax rate to zero isn't going to happen.

Neither is this.

You really don't believe that privatizing more of that isn't going to happen? It almost did in the 2000s, and that was with a significantly more sane republican party.

41 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

You really don't believe that privatizing more of that isn't going to happen? It almost did in the 2000s, and that was with a significantly more sane republican party.

First, it failed, disastrously, in the 2000s despite Dubya hugely investing in the campaign upon his reelect.  Second, you're talking about abolishing SS and Medicare.  All Dubya tried to do was partially privatize social security.

Archived