U.S politics: You got knocked the Warnocked out:

Varysblackfyre321

8 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Near three points I believe and candidates like him(maga clowns)tended to lose in purple areas, and under perform in traditionally red ones. 

So there are three possibilities and you appear to only be humoring one.

One possibility is that every person who votes for a Democrat or can split their vote favors policy choices over party. This is your take.

Another is that only splitters demonstrate policy views over party. This means that about 90% of the voters vote for their party regardless, and only 10% vote by policy. This is more accurate. 

But even more accurate than that is that splitters demonstrate interest in things other than party allegiance. Maybe they are racist, or sexists, or really love how a person looks. Maybe they don't like the nasal whine a candidate has. All their splitting shows is that the party isn't the only or main thing that matters. 

9 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

I think DeSantis is far more dangerous than Trump- he's probably more electable and this more likely to actually enact the misogynistic, xenophobic, kill the poors, bigoted shit being amped up by the right.  

Yeah, I agree with the sentiment that RDS is more electable and likely to be more effective and I deplore the things he wants to do.  

Obama expressed some version of that back in 2015-6 when he thought (a) DJT wouldn't win (b) even if he won, he was better than a President Ted Cruz who would be much more effective.  He wasn't wrong exactly, but he underestimated the damage DJT could do to our country. 

YMMV, but when a former President announces he wants to terminate the Constitution after inciting an insurrection, I think he is the evil that must be defeated at all costs.  I get that it would be nice if DJT becomes the Republican nominee and loses by a landslide in 2024 but I think that's unlikely given that voters in NC, FL, OH had 4 years to get to know him and voted for him in 2020 anyway.  Why take that risk?   

12 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I get that it would be nice if DJT becomes the Republican nominee and loses by a landslide in 2024

The practice of supporting “bad” candidates for Republican nominations worked in some cases.  It is still dangerous and we have seen what happens when the “bad” nominees win and it’s awful.

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Well, after SCOTUS rules on Moore v. Harper in June, there will be no landslides for Dems, or even Dem candidates, probably.

https://www.aclu.org/news/voting-rights/explaining-moore-v-harper-the-supreme-court-case-that-could-upend-democracy

I don’t know that the Supremes… will go the way you fear.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

And for this sin the right will ruin her life.

I suspect we’ll hear conspiracy about her being trans. 

Her life won't be ruined unless she allows it and attacks from the right will be put down swiftly. Idk what her playing career will be going forward, but she's become a symbol and will be embraced by many. Basically every American athlete of note has her back as does 90% of sports media.

18 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Her wife was present when Biden made the press announcement, which was good to see.  I can only imagine how she's feeling. Holy cow!

Being a 6'9 famous black, gay woman from the US during a war in jail and then a notorious prison camp must have been a special kind of hell. Hopefully she makes a full recovery, physically and more importantly, mentally. I cannot imagine what she had to go through and the trauma it caused.

10 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I don’t know that the Supremes… will go the way you fear.

Roe? and several other decision already.  Come on.  Particularly when all the reichlicans are wringing their hands and throwing shyte that they can't win elections on popular vote so the only thing they can do is repress voting and elections.  They aren't even hiding that.

8 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Roe? and several other decision already.  Come on.  Particularly when all the reichlicans are wringing their hands and throwing shyte that they can't win elections on popular vote so the only thing they can do is repress voting and elections.  They aren't even hiding that.

Roe was always… a good result… poorly reasoned (even RBG agreed with that).  

Holding that State Legislatures may regulate elections completely unchecked by other branches of Government is a step well beyond reversing Roe.  I think they’ll get Thomas and Alito… not sure about the rest.

6 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

By virtue of there being a trend of people voting for quality candidates over party.

But that doesn't say why they voted for the candidate. Again, you are assuming 100% of the people who voted for Warnock did it for non party allegiance reasons. This is obviously not supported by the data and is absolutely not supported by reams of data elsewhere. 

A good silver lining is that at least in Georgia candidate quality does matter at least a little bit. Maybe 5%, maybe 10%. And when elections are this close that is a big deal in some states. But it isn't the case that most people in the US care. Most people in the US are low information voters who will vote with their party 100% of the time.

1 hour ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Yeah but it wasn't the policy positions that gave them pause, was it?

GA just prefers werewolves over vampires generally.

Also, I don't know how many of you have noticed that gas and eggs are more expensive now. I guess Democracy has failed and we have to do a fascism now. Also, eggs and gas are more expensive because trans people exist. Or something. I haven't gotten the latest talking points read the latest report from Conservative Eagle Patriot MAGA News about why that is, but Tucker says it's true so it must be.

1 minute ago, Durckad said:

Also, eggs and gas are more expensive because trans people exist. Or something. I haven't gotten the latest talking points read the latest report from Conservative Eagle Patriot MAGA News about why that is, but Tucker says it's true so it must be.

They probably should have focused more on the xenophobia and racism.

Archived