UK Politics: Mone, Mone, Mone. It's not funny. It's a rich toff's world.

Spockydog

Do you people still use the term, bloody! As in, bloody hell! my Manchester United Bri'ish football team just lost again! Or, bloody Americans! always making every thread about US politics! Outdated slang, used only by the older generations? Or, do your Millenials / Zoomers use it just as often?

Just now, DaveSumm said:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=GB&q=Bloody

Obviously difficult to differentiate from the regular use (a bloody war) but seems to be making a comeback if anything.

DaveSumm -- ooo, didn't think of using that as a tool; great, thanks!

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

It's the eternal problem. If you're explaining you're losing. It's the same with COVID, climate change, any complex problem that needs a decent intellect and reasonable understanding of the subject material to get a good grasp of the matter. Especially now when there is very low trust in the institutions of society that should be a trusted source of information on topics you either don't have the capacity, inclination or time to do the [proper] research to discern the truth.

Half-sentence propaganda soundbites wins out most of the time.

Traces of suspected cocaine found after parties in Liz Truss’s grace-and-favour house, say staff

Traces of a suspected class A drug were found at a government grace-and-favour home after parties attended by political allies of Liz Truss, the Guardian has been told.

The white powder was discovered at the Chevening estate last summer in the days before Truss won the Tory leadership contest and became prime minister, according to sources.

A member of staff claimed they tested the powder using a swab which changes colour when it comes into contact with cocaine, and it indicated the drug was present.

Possession of cocaine is a criminal offence which can lead to imprisonment for up to seven years, or an unlimited fine.

In July, the government launched a new crackdown on casual drug users, saying their passports could be confiscated.

"Political allies" is probably just code for Kwasi Kwartastrophe.

Jwremy Clarkson hates Meghan Markle worse than murderer Rose West and apparently dreams of her being dragged through the streets of every town in Britain naked, being pelted with shit. According to his column in The Scum.

In other news, Clarkson and Meghan-stalker Piers Morgan were among a small group who met Camilla for lunch today.

35 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Jwremy Clarkson hates Meghan Markle worse than murderer Rose West and apparently dreams of her being dragged through the streets of every town in Britain naked, being pelted with shit. According to his column in The Scum.

In other news, Clarkson and Meghan-stalker Piers Morgan were among a small group who met Camilla for lunch today.

Some real rank misogyny there. Evil shit.

Meghan is pushing Prince Andrew for the least popular Royal.. I reckon her ‘documentary’ might help her get over the line on that one

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/12/09/after-prince-andrew-prince-harry-and-meghan-markle

Meghan Markle is now looked upon positively by just a quarter of Britons (25%), with Prince Andrew (7%) the only royal family member with less popularity among the public. 

Nearly two-thirds of people (64%) now have a negative opinion of the Duchess, giving her a net score of -39, a 7 point drop since November. 

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I appreciate that the likes of Clarkson use hyperbole to seek attention for their ramblings (and pander to their readers) but that is some call-the-police level rhetoric. Or call-your-therapist, more likely.

I'm not fond of any of the royals, as I've said ad nauseam, but the fact is, Meghan Markle has done nothing wrong. Several members of that family, including her husband, have done far worse and received far less vitriol. The reactions from certain people toward her verge on deranged.

That this should be directed to a mixed-race foreign woman perceived to be of the wrong social class illustrates nicely why the entire institution is beyond reform.

16 minutes ago, mormont said:

That this should be directed to a mixed-race foreign woman perceived to be of the wrong social class illustrates nicely why the entire institution is beyond reform.

And yes, obviously misogyny, racism, xenophobia and classism are all in play. People hate others for different reasons. 

53 minutes ago, mormont said:

I appreciate that the likes of Clarkson use hyperbole to seek attention for their ramblings (and pander to their readers) but that is some call-the-police level rhetoric. Or call-your-therapist, more likely.

I’m sure someone will call the police about this. That’s the world we live in now.

54 minutes ago, mormont said:

I honestly can’t think of any reason why a self promoting narcissistic Hollywood  liar would be disliked? It really is a head scratcher 

49 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I honestly can’t think of any reason why a self promoting narcissistic Hollywood  liar would be disliked? It really is a head scratcher 

I don't disagree with this characterization that much, but do you feel the level of bile she has experienced is remotely justified for this?  She's a bit of a dick, not a serial killer. 

Also, Clarkson and Morgan agreeing almost certainly means that she isn't that bad. 

Archived