UK Politics: Mone, Mone, Mone. It's not funny. It's a rich toff's world.

Spockydog

32 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

But the honours system is an individual award. You dont think it devalues the contribution of the few if its just handed out to the many?  

Not for nothing I think the honours system is bullshit, but if you are giving them out you should have done something to deserve it. Sitting on your arse on the bench for 6 or 7 games is barely more than i did. 

You sound like an angry Arsenal fan describing how Oxlade-Chamberlain got his CL winners medal. :D

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I don't know if 4 is the right amount. But I hate it when everyone gets one for turning up.

But you're not just turning up. You're part of a squad. You're in a four week training camp, participating in training every day, literally helping the first team to prepare and get ready for matches. Without you, nobody is winning anything. 

Even if you're somebody like Connor Coady, only there to provide bants and relieve some emotional pressure, it's still a vital role.

And four is completely the wrong number. There were eleven women on the pitch when the trophy was won.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

But you're not just turning up. You're part of a squad. You're in a four week training camp, participating in training every day, literally helping the first team to prepare and get ready for matches. Without you, nobody is winning anything. 

Even if you're somebody like Connor Coady, only there to provide bants and relieve some emotional pressure, it's still a vital role.

And four is completely the wrong number. There were eleven women on the pitch when the trophy was won.

Where does it stop though, physio, kit man, all the assistant managers, tea lady? 

As pointed out above, its not like the ones who got the award 'only' got them for the euros win. 

Only some of the 66 squad got a knighthood, and it was the right ones imo. 

It's moot anyway, I want to do something fabulous at work, only to be able to tell them to shove their reward up their arses. 

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Where does it stop though, physio, kit man, all the assistant managers, tea lady? 

Now you're being silly.

I'd give it to the players and the manager. That's it. And nobody would bat an eyelid.

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Now you're being silly.

I'd give it to the players and the manager. That's it. And nobody would bat an eyelid.

I would, giving the most important of the 22 and the least important the same reward rewards nobody. 

Participation prizes suck. 

43 minutes ago, Raja said:

Literally waiting for someone to do *something* - thank fuck I'm on vacation for a couple of weeks in Jan

I wouldn’t hold your breath. 

George Monbiot posted a thread yesterday detailing his experience of visiting A&E with a head wound. It makes for especially grim reading.

This is it. We're in the endgame of the Tory plans to destroy the NHS as we know it. The only thing that can save it is a Labour Government. 

This is it. We're in the endgame of the Tory plans to destroy the NHS as we know it. The only thing that can save it is a Labour Government. 

We need more than one. It took a long time to fuck it up this bad, its not going to get fixed in one cycle. We need a progressive coalition to absolutely wipe these fucking charlatans out for a generation. 

I was reading a interesting article showing that millennial appear to be drifting right at a much slower rate than their predecessors as they age, if at all. If that holds it could be a fucking game changer. 

Just now, BigFatCoward said:

I was reading a interesting article showing that millennial appear to be drifting right at a much slower rate than their predecessors as they age, if at all. If that holds it could be a fucking game changer. 

I saw this as well. An interesting counterpoint is that it really only applies to the anglosphere, so UK and the US. Most of Europe still get more conservative as they get older.

One point mentioned about this is that Conservatives used to be seen as the boring, competent party who would make sensible decisions about the economy, but we are well past the point of that being true now, and so they are scrabbling around for anything they can cling onto to get voters. I think a lot of would be conservative voters are more likely to vote labour because they just have an air of competence in comparison. 

If the answer is just 'throw more money at it' then I'm not sure it's going to be saved.

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I saw this as well. An interesting counterpoint is that it really only applies to the anglosphere, so UK and the US. Most of Europe still get more conservative as they get older.

I assume that's linked to how batshit our right-wing parties have become. 

38 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

We need more than one. It took a long time to fuck it up this bad, its not going to get fixed in one cycle. We need a progressive coalition to absolutely wipe these fucking charlatans out for a generation. 

At the core of it, conservatism is about keeping things as they are and preserving the status quo. The expected progression through life (buy a house, start a family, etc.) is going a lot slower for younger generations than it did for their parents, so the reasons people drift rightwards are diminishing as a 30-40 year old now is much less likely to consider the status quo beneficial to them than someone that age 20 years ago did.

15 minutes ago, Denvek said:

At the core of it, conservatism is about keeping things as they are and preserving the status quo. The expected progression through life (buy a house, start a family, etc.) is going a lot slower for younger generations than it did for their parents, so the reasons people drift rightwards are diminishing as a 30-40 year old now is much less likely to consider the status quo beneficial to them than someone that age 20 years ago did.

No, that's what it once was, but not anymore. Now it's just culture wars to hide what it's really about, make as much money as possible and fuck everyone else.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

No, that's what it once was, but not anymore. Now it's just culture wars to hide what it's really about, make as much money as possible and fuck everyone else.

We aren't quite as far down that path as you yet. 

22 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

We aren't quite as far down that path as you yet. 

Yes you are, at least at the leadership level. And as far as I can tell as an outsider, your country is following the worst parts of the US. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yes you are, at least at the leadership level. And as far as I can tell as an outsider, your country is following the worst parts of the US. 

Nah, Johnson and the rest are prize twats, but still vaguely human beings, unlike Trump and the republican high command.

If you lined up the 100 worst right wing politicians in the 2 countries about 97 would be American.  Not saying we aren't heading that way, but we aren't there yet.

29 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Nah, Johnson and the rest are prize twats, but still vaguely a human beings, unlike Trump and the republican high command.

If you lined up the 100 worst right wing politicians in the 2 countries about 97 would be American.  Not saying we aren't heading that way, but we aren't there yet.

I'd say more like a 80/20 split, and you guys get docked -25 at the least for the monarchy. So close to a wash! 

Liz Truss is not vaguely human.  As you all said yourselves, she's lettuce.

What makes us worse is that a lot of ours run around carrying guns, or run with the packs who not only carry guns, but use them and are dying to really really really use them.

I mean, look, we have governors illegally shipping refugees/immigrants out of their states and dumping them on Martha's Vineyard, in front of the Vice President's residence, and in Manhattan.  You have inhumans <stet> flying immigrants to Rwanda.

Archived