UK Politics: Mone, Mone, Mone. It's not funny. It's a rich toff's world.

Spockydog

23 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The biggest threat to women's rights is cis-men. Rowling and her ilk would do well to remember that.

Her transphobia isn’t  motivated to protect women anymore than Matt Walsh(who thinks by 13-16 your an adult and should get married and who cries about women sports broadcasters),both are operating  principally disgust at the existence of trans people.

She’s only ever going to significantly talk feminism or use feminist rhetoric  that won’t anger white conservative cis men.

Re: the Sunak clip, 'business' comes up because the conversation starts with Steve asking Sunak if he's 'sorting the economy out' and y'know, Sunak should probably actually have been doing that rather than a painfully awkward PR stunt clearly recommended by his advisers to make him seem more human. Because however you parse out the conversation, it's abundantly clear that Sunak does not have any idea, and has never tried to imagine, what it is really like to be homeless. What it means. What that life is like. What people in that situation think and feel. All he has is a tiny stock of standard small talk someone coached into him for use at parties where everyone makes high six figure bonuses at a minimum, so he trots it out in the most inappropriate way.

That's why that clip is so awful. It shows that Sunak doesn't have the imagination to understand the lives of those he governs, and so cannot truly understand the impact of his policies on a personal level. It's all abstract to him, lacking in real meaning.

I said it a while back: Sunak is no better than the rest, the Johnsons and Mays and Trusses and Goves. He's going to do a lot of damage.

One way of missing the point entirely. 

I'll try to explain it very slowly, mormont might want chip in, if he has something to add/corrections.

The entire problem is that Sunak is an out of touch bilionaire, who has no idea of the problems of ordinary people, let alone poor and homeless people. It's just outside the realm of his imagination. Yet, he has to govern a country that doesn't consist of hedge fund managers, who had a bad year, when they didn't bring home a six figure christmas bonus. Now compare that to what Steve's reality (life) looks like. And that was on display there. To dismiss that as him merely not being good at communicating or him just being a numbers nerd is either really stupid or willfully ignorant. Sunak doesn'T have to be malign to be unfit for office, being that much out of touch is entirely sufficient.

22 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

One way of missing the point entirely. 

I'll try to explain it very slowly, mormont might want chip in, if he has something to add/corrections.

The entire problem is that Sunak is an out of touch bilionaire, who has no idea of the problems of ordinary people, let alone poor and homeless people. It's just outside the realm of his imagination. Yet, he has to govern a country that doesn't consist of hedge fund managers, who had a bad year, when they didn't bring home a six figure christmas bonus. Now compare that to what Steve's reality (life) looks like. And that was on display there. To dismiss that as him merely not being good at communicating or him just being a numbers nerd is either really stupid or willfully ignorant. Sunak doesn'T have to be malign to be unfit for office, being that much out of touch is entirely sufficient.

Again, watch the video. It's just a guy struggling to have a natural conversation with someone else, hardly surprising. He might well be an out of touch billionaire, but this video doesn't show that. The guy is the one who brings up finance and business, not the other way around, Sunak just tries to keep the conversation going and think on his feet, which he is shit at. 

Total nothing burger.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

That's why that clip is so awful. It shows that Sunak doesn't have the imagination to understand the lives of those he governs, and so cannot truly understand the impact of his policies on a personal level. It's all abstract to him, lacking in real meaning.

Can’t we just look at his actual awful policies instead of his awkward social interactions to make that judgement?

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Can’t we just look at his actual awful policies instead of his awkward social interactions to make that judgement?

Sure, but my point is that the policies are informed by the inability to empathise. Empathy is an important skill for a politician. Some have it, some can fake it, Sunak hasn't got it, can't fake it and hasn't learned it.

2 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Hey, now do you know how hard it is to born in a family of really elitist inbreds who get billions in welfare to look pretty and smile?

Not everyone could do it.:P.

in any case the monarch should be abolished. Now.

The looking pretty bit is stretch. Smiling they do do well.

17 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I don't know if 4 is the right amount. But I hate it when everyone gets one for turning up. Didn't Paul Collingwood get one for the ashes for playing about 7 minutes. 

It's still a team effort. Even the ones never playing contributed to the success of the team.

Whether you need to be declared a national hero for kicking a ball quite well is another topic of course.

42 minutes ago, kiko said:

It's still a team effort. Even the ones never playing contributed to the success of the team.

But the honours system is an individual award. You dont think it devalues the contribution of the few if its just handed out to the many?  

Not for nothing I think the honours system is bullshit, but if you are giving them out you should have done something to deserve it. Sitting on your arse on the bench for 6 or 7 games is barely more than i did. 

To be fair while winning the Euros has obviously contributed to them getting honours Ellen White has retired as top scorer for England in Women's football and Lucy Bronze is probably England's best ever women's player. It's only Williamson, Wiegman and Mead who're getting in just on the back of the Euros win.

So coach, captain and top scorer. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me. :dunno:

Archived