Cricket 44: Abrar-Cadabra

Denvek

2 wickets and a run out so far for Abrar in England’s second innings. Not a bad start to his test career.

I feel like claiming not to be a magician is exactly what a magician would say. The ICC needs to investigate potential use of the dark arts.

7 hours ago, Raja said:

We need someone to pick up Vettori's bespectacled spinner mantle, Abrar might be our man.

Hey, Santner

And i thought the title meant Harpreet Brar, ignorant me for not following recent developments until today

Kishan was great, though patience might have gotten him beyond the Hitman's mark, even a triple maybe. 15 overs were left. Kohli sublime, Washi adequate as always. Hope Bangla put up a good fight in the chase, just 6th time crossed 400, india in ODIs.

The Windies series has become quite nauseating. Let it be done. 

And England on top again! I read somewhere that all three of the fastest scoring first days of test cricket now involve Baz, either as player or coach. 

Edited by Paxter

I haven't even been watching this Australia-Windies series...one of the first summers that I haven't been locked into the cricket. The lack of competitiveness is probably the main issue for me. I think I'm happy watching T20s or ODIs involving anyone, but when it comes to Test cricket you really do want a contest.

16 minutes ago, Jeor said:

I haven't even been watching this Australia-Windies series...one of the first summers that I haven't been locked into the cricket. The lack of competitiveness is probably the main issue for me. I think I'm happy watching T20s or ODIs involving anyone, but when it comes to Test cricket you really do want a contest.

It is a pity that the Windies series can't live up to the old rivalry. At least the England/Pakistan series is a genuine contest, even if England seem to have the upper hand in the series now.

9 hours ago, ljkeane said:

2 wickets and a run out so far for Abrar in England’s second innings. Not a bad start to his test career.

In retrospect, perhaps not the best selection decision to leave him out of the first Test.

England's selectors seems to have been having a better time. Ben Duckett's second attempt at Test cricket has been fruitful so far and maybe we might finally be seeing potential for a settled England top order. Harry Brooks also looks very threatening in the middle order.

56 minutes ago, williamjm said:

England's selectors seems to have been having a better time. Ben Duckett's second attempt at Test cricket has been fruitful so far and maybe we might finally be seeing potential for a settled England top order.

He's having a very good series but I think he might be a bit of horses for courses selection. His main strength seems to be sweeping and I'm not sure whether that'll get him a place in the side outside of the Subcontinent. He was excellent in the Pakistan T20 series but England still didn't take him to Australia. Having said that it's not like England have test openers knocking down the door so he might get a chance to show what he can do.

Harry Brook on the other hand is going to be a fixture of England's middle order for a while I think.

This feels like exactly the kind of chase Pakistan will screw up.

On 12/10/2022 at 2:40 PM, Jeor said:

I felt the same way about last season's Ashes too. Hoping SA can cause Australia a few more issues but their batting is just as bad at as the Windies' in many ways. 

Edited by Paxter

South Africa in disarray with the bat (hardly a surprise). 

Aus also off to a shaky start but Smith and Head have countered.

As an aside, it does look like this is nearly the end for Davey Warner’s test career. Home conditions are his main strength and he can’t even seem to capitalize on those.

So when I got up this morning and had a look at the England Pakistan score I did think we might be looking at another Kerrigan situation with Rehan Ahmed. Really nice bit of bowling to get his first wicket though, hopefully he can kick on from that.

ETA: So watching Ahmed he doesn’t really look like a mystery spinner as such, the batsmen appear to be picking his variations reasonably well, but he gets a lot of turn with his googly. There’s clearly some potential there.

Edited by ljkeane

So not a disaster for Pakistan in the end but 304 looks like a bit of a disappointing total batting first on a pitch which looks very flat.

ETA: Or perhaps not with Crawley gone for a duck in the first over.

Edited by ljkeane