Cricket 44: Abrar-Cadabra

Denvek

Yes good fightback by NZ after the one-way traffic of the first couple of days.

Good job from Blundell to hold up an end with Williamson too, Blundell looked like one of the guys with fight in the first innings.'

Set up for an intriguing last day if NZ can set a target around 300+. Despite England's big score in the first innings NZ still have a decent bowling attack and could make it interesting. Depends if NZ want to make a game of it or if they're happy escaping with a draw after following on.

What a thriller! Only the second game in history to be decided by a run, and I think only the 4th after following on. Thought England would have had enough to see it through with wickets in hand but NZ were tight.

Watching the highlights it was even closer that just the score tells you, that last delivery was there to be knocked round the corner for the winning runs by Anderson. You're probably talking a feather more contact on the ball being the difference between the two sides in the end. Good test match.

Ahhh New Zealand! I was unable to watch more than a few hours on day 2 & day 3 but really happy to see them win.

Edit - Also, kinda love neil wagner. He looks like a character actor thats been in about 1000 movies who has turned up to play cricket.

That Brook runout though - he seemed to have given up pretty quickly, but I realize he was pretty far out

Edited by Raja

With a game as close as that, you could point to any number of tiny close calls during the game that would've made a difference. There was a dropped catch near the end, there was a ball in the last over that could have easily been called a wide (went high and down the legside), so on.

Southee's 70-odd where he flayed half a dozen 6s in a follow-on innings looms pretty large as a little blinder that made a difference to the overall result.

India definitely in trouble here. Although I also thought they were in the last test.

It’s interesting how India have decided that playing on very bowling friendly pitches is the way to go since they lost the first test in the England series. It’s clearly worked for them so far and the bowling is their stronger suit these days but the conventional wisdom is it’s a bit of a lottery to play on real minefields. 

England playing the first ODI already in Bangladesh already so presumably there won’t be any crossovers from the test squad. No Rehan Ahmed in the team which is a little disappointing.

Australia doing well so far in pressing the advantage but we all know how quickly that can change. You'd expect they would be a bit more ruthless now that they know how easily it can turn on them (pun intended).

Me: Well, I'm sure India will still be batting when I wake up

India: Hold my beer

Edit: Think Khawaja has always been class so nice to see him get runs

Edited by Raja

Match finely poised, India leading by 39 runs and only 4 wickets in hand, but that's stronger than it looks with Axar Patel still to come and any total over 100 looking like it will be a tricky chase.

Australia's tail once again collapsing, 6/12 I think it was. They are getting no runs at all out of numbers 8-11 and it's really hurting them, throwing away strong positions and letting India back into the game.