Cricket 44: Abrar-Cadabra

Denvek

Yes, Lyon rescued them by scuppering the Indian tail at the end. 

It's a bit of an indictment on the pitch that people are saying a third-day chase of 76 still has some uncertainty in it.

Travis Head will come out swinging and if he can get a few away early, everything should settle down. But if they lose 3 or 4 early, and knowing the weakness of the tail, I wouldn't be putting my house on Australia winning. I reckon it's about an 85-15 proposition.

Had a bit of a flutter on Australia to win this final test at $3.75.

Not that I expect them to win...but just thought that on (probably) another spinning track Australia could cause another upset. 

Minor aside: this test series is on track to be the shortest ever for a four-match series. Is it time for India to go back to preparing the occasional road (as per Pakistan)?

5 hours ago, Paxter said:

Had a bit of a flutter on Australia to win this final test at $3.75.

Those are pretty good odds. If you're a betting man you could probably arbitrage up when the odds narrow.

A proper scoreline now at 2/75 but we all know how that can change quickly.

I'll probably jinx him, but Smith is due a score in this series.

Turns out I did jinx him, but Khawaja comes through with a century. He's done well on this tour and has been showing how ridiculous it was to drop him from the team a couple of years ago.

Cameron Green with a brisk 49 which was a crucial contribution late in the day to prevent another collapse.

Pitch looks much more benign, Australia may find it hard to force a result here. They need to bat on as long as possible to give their spinners more time to get the pitch to turn.

14 hours ago, Raja said:

Nah Paxter, I hope you win your bet. We deserve to lose the game in any stadium named after Modi and whatever parade sort of nonsense they did before the game.

Makes me sick.

I feel similarly about our PM being out there with him. 

2 hours ago, Paxter said:

I feel similarly about our PM being out there with him. 

Not that I'm normally one to defend Albo, but I don't know that he could really have refused without causing some offence.

A draw is tacked on for this one I think. Australia saves face, India gets a series win. Nice to see Cameron Green break the duck and get his first Test century. He has the potential to be an excellent all-rounder but it's crucial his batting holds up if he's going to be regularly playing at No. 6.

1 hour ago, TheLastWolf said:

Ashwin is the most underrated living Test player

By whom? Most pundits I listen to believe that he’s one of the greatest modern test spinners. And that’s before accounting for his batting prowess.

On 3/9/2023 at 1:07 PM, Paxter said:

Great stuff from Usman. The most underutilized talent of his generation.

Always thought he's been really good. Why underutilized? Has he been in and out of the squad?

2 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

My dumb af social circle that's who :rolleyes:

Haha fair.

@Raja: Usman was out of the test set-up for most of the Langer coaching period. He was dropped in 2019 after a fairly short run of poor scores despite a test average well over 40. Other struggling top-order Australian batters (e.g. Marcus Harris, Dave Warner) were given many more chances during that same period. It’s all quite baffling and part of me wonders if some sort of negative bias was at work. 

Edited by Paxter

Hats off to the King, who finally broke his post-COVID century drought. Axhar again was brilliant and continues to be India’s most consistent batter.

This one is probably meandering to a draw now as I don’t think Australia will want to risk a 3-1 scoreline.