Cricket 44: Abrar-Cadabra

Denvek

24 minutes ago, Raja said:

Not really a T20 fan, but I can get behind the women's PL in India at the moment.

Not sure but read somewhere that Knight's very loong unbeaten streak broke with 5 consecutive losses with classic RCB :rofl:

And that Devine 99 :bowdown:

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty comfortable win in the end for reigning champs Gujarat.

I'm not sure why an IPL match is taking four hours though. Not a great early advertisement for the new DRS system (in which you can review wides; no balls) or this IPL edition generally. 

Yes, a great start for Gaikwad who has won the orange cap before and is a great prospect. Nice to see Kyle Mayers also in great form.

David Warner continues his secular decline...currently third on the total runs chart but with a match-losing strike-rate of 116.

• 5 weeks later...

Predictable silence in this thread as the IPL plods along...but it has actually been a pretty good tournament so far.

Lots of close finishes and a very even competition. It's difficult to pick a winner at this stage. 

Edited by Paxter

7 hours ago, Paxter said:

Predictable silence in this thread as the IPL plods along...but it has actually been a pretty good tournament so far.

Lots of close finishes and a very even competition. It's difficult to pick a winner at this stage. 

Even I am losing interest in T20

It looks as though the impossibility of predicting a winner stems from the teams' almost scripted inconsistency.

Dhoni probably retiring this year is drawing huge crowds everywhere. But he's giving mixed signals, affirming in post match interviews and then few weeks later a you think so do you.

No result matches are bummers.

• 2 weeks later...

The England squad for the one off test against Ireland. The notable selection is Bairstow over Foakes. It felt like it was on the cards but it might be a bit of a trial run since Foakes has been playing well in County cricket and Bairstow is still on the road back to full fitness. Crawley and Duckett have also been going well which seems like a bit of a bonus.

On the IPL front it doesn't feel ideal that Smith and Labuschagne are playing County cricket in the run up to the Ashes while a number of key England batsmen are playing (or not playing as the case may be) in the IPL. Archer has broken down again too but, honestly, if he can't get through a few T20s it doesn't seem likely he was going to get through a test. You'd think his test career is done at this point.

11 hours ago, ljkeane said:

The England squad for the one off test against Ireland. The notable selection is Bairstow over Foakes. It felt like it was on the cards but it might be a bit of a trial run since Foakes has been playing well in County cricket and Bairstow is still on the road back to full fitness. Crawley and Duckett have also been going well which seems like a bit of a bonus.

On the IPL front it doesn't feel ideal that Smith and Labuschagne are playing County cricket in the run up to the Ashes while a number of key England batsmen are playing (or not playing as the case may be) in the IPL. Archer has broken down again too but, honestly, if he can't get through a few T20s it doesn't seem likely he was going to get through a test. You'd think his test career is done at this point.

I agree it does seem questionable whether Archer will ever play tests again, which is very unfortunate for such an exciting player. England often seem poor at looking after their faster bowlers.

It's a bit unlucky for Foakes who hasn't done anything wrong, but understandable that they are keen to bring Bairstow back as soon as possible.

• 3 weeks later...

So this England Ireland test feels like a bit of a warm up for the Ashes for England with Ireland not even putting out a full strength side. I am a bit interested to see what Harry Tector looks like (after he didn’t really feature in the first innings) as he’s apparently Ireland’s next big batting prospect.

10 hours ago, ljkeane said:

So this England Ireland test feels like a bit of a warm up for the Ashes for England with Ireland not even putting out a full strength side. I am a bit interested to see what Harry Tector looks like (after he didn’t really feature in the first innings) as he’s apparently Ireland’s next big batting prospect.

It was unsurprisingly a bit one-sided. The Irish did battle well in their second innings, first Tector and Tucker and later McBrine and Adair put together a couple of good partnerships to force England to bat again. Overall, however I think they might reflect that the underperformed with the bat, there were too many soft dismissals on what seemed an easy batting pitch. They were outclassed with the ball, a bunch of medium pacers facing the aggression of this England batting line-up was always likely to be painful.

I'm not sure England learned much from this other than Josh Tongue having a promising debut. Stokes not bowling at all is a concern however much they claim he'll be ready to bowl in the Ashes and if he can't bowl that does disturb the balance of the side.

20 hours ago, williamjm said:

Stokes not bowling at all is a concern however much they claim he'll be ready to bowl in the Ashes and if he can't bowl that does disturb the balance of the side.

He says he's on track to bowl but it seems extremely unlikely he's actually going to be able to function as an allrounder throughout the series. There might be a couple of spells when he grits his teeth and bowls through the pain but it's probably best to only count him as a batsmen when England are drawing up their plans.

Speaking of their bowling plans apparently Leach is out of the Ashes with stress fracture of his back. That seems like a fairly big problem, especially if Stokes can't bowl much. None of England's other spinners offer much hope of holding up an end. Maybe they'll go with another seamer plus a bit more of Root?

On 6/4/2023 at 7:52 PM, ljkeane said:

Speaking of their bowling plans apparently Leach is out of the Ashes with stress fracture of his back. That seems like a fairly big problem, especially if Stokes can't bowl much. None of England's other spinners offer much hope of holding up an end. Maybe they'll go with another seamer plus a bit more of Root?

I agree that's a big problem for them, since I'm not sure they have much of a plan B when it comes to spinners. Rehan Ahmed may have shown promise during the winter but I don't see him as a sole spinner in English conditions at this stage in his career. I was reading Cricinfo's summary of the potential replacements and none of them really seem like an obvious choice. If Moeen Ali decided to rescind his Test retirement then he would probably be the favourite despite not having played red ball cricket for a long time, but I'm not sure what the prospects of that are.

I think they need a spinner in the squad even if they might consider going with 4 seamers for some tests.