Football: Kane is coming home

AncalagonTheBlack

Honestly I’m not that upset by the result. France really are just a better side than us. They might not have looked world class but they pretty much controlled that game and it’s telling England were only able to threaten with penalties and set pieces.

We managed to nullify Mbappe by Walker staying back and Henderson and Saka putting in a shift but that often left far too much for Saka to do on his flank. Also we kept Mbappe quiet but then Griezmann was all over the place running things.

Could gripe and moan about refereeing but I hate that shit. Basically England are about this level, not much better than this, and getting any further as we have in the past seems really either down to luck or having a good draw against weaker opponents. We really cannot challenge anyone who is genuinely good. 

43 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Honestly I’m not that upset by the result. France really are just a better side than us. They might not have looked world class but they pretty much controlled that game and it’s telling England were only able to threaten with penalties and set pieces.

I have to disagree, England were the better side and France relied on the defense having to overcommit for Mbappe. With the same level of quality I think they beat most teams any given day. They were every bit as good as the other top teams in the tournament. 

14 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I have to disagree, England were the better side and France relied on the defense having to overcommit for Mbappe. With the same level of quality I think they beat most teams any given day. They were every bit as good as the other top teams in the tournament. 

The stats line was pretty even, hard to say either side was truly better. France had belief, and  took their chances. England failed that part and ultimately England's back line, which has been one of their weaknesses, made some errors, and they stand defeated.

Weird that nobody has yet asked Southgate why he decided to take off England's best player last night.

Was he injured? Because he certainly didn't look tired. He was terrorizing the French defenders all night, particularly Hernandez.

In the final twenty minutes, The French were there for the taking, only for Southgate to shit the bed and take Saka off.

5 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

The stats line was pretty even, hard to say either side was truly better. France had belief, and  took their chances. England failed that part and ultimately England's back line, which has been one of their weaknesses, made some errors, and they stand defeated.

Idk, England to me looked like clearly the better team. They had an insane number of chances to score and just couldn't do it. That missed PK will haunt Kane for the rest of his life. They would have been the favorite if it went to ET.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Idk, England to me looked like clearly the better team. They had an insane number of chances to score and just couldn't do it. That missed PK will haunt Kane for the rest of his life. They would have been the favorite if it went to ET.

Ultimately missed chances don't make you the clearly better team - in fact, I would argue the opposite.

4 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

Ultimately missed chances don't make you the clearly better team - in fact, I would argue the opposite.

Idk, the sport is random and cruel in that sense. Just looking at the statistics England was the better side in almost every area except goals scored. They won possession, they had more shots and on goal by a good amount, fouled less (with a ref that was in Frances' bag) and just from the eye test looked like the better side. Sometimes teams get unlucky. 

And wtf bringing on Raheem Sterling instead of Grealish?

He'd been away from camp for almost a week after his house got burgled. His head was probably elsewhere, and that's how it looked.

Bringing on Grealish with 80 seconds left on the clock was just pathetic.

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk, the sport is random and cruel in that sense. Just looking at the statistics England was the better side in almost every area except goals scored. They won possession, they had more shots and on goal by a good amount, fouled less (with a ref that was in Frances' bag) and just from the eye test looked like the better side. Sometimes teams get unlucky. 

Yes they had better stats, but l wouldn't call the stats line completely dominant either.

I don't believe in luck. Teams don't get unlucky, they make mistakes. Football isn't just about stats, it is about winning.

At the end of the day, France scored twice from open play. The first should have been stopped by Pickford for sure. Their defense let Giroud through one time too many.

The ref was awful, that's for sure. That definitely played a big role too.

15 hours ago, Heartofice said:

We managed to nullify Mbappe by Walker staying back and Henderson and Saka putting in a shift but that often left far too much for Saka to do on his flank. Also we kept Mbappe quiet but then Griezmann was all over the place running things.

Could gripe and moan about refereeing but I hate that shit. Basically England are about this level, not much better than this, and getting any further as we have in the past seems really either down to luck or having a good draw against weaker opponents. We really cannot challenge anyone who is genuinely good. 

Controlled the game? I don't think so. England had the midfield for most of the game. That's why Griezmann had to do so much defensive work for them. But he does that a lot. Rice was all over the pitch, too, running things, and so was Henderson.

And yes, refereeing does come into it when foul after foul are let go, which only emboldens the opposition. It was hilarious watching Theo Hernandez explain that his bulldozing of Mount was just shoulder to shoulder action. It's like he didn't understand why he was being penalized for that when he and his teammates had gotten away with a whole bunch before.

13 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

I didn't watch the game so not a comment on the specifics of last night but I'd disagree with that. Creating chances is what makes you a better team, sometimes they go in and sometimes they don't. Finishing is to a degree down to quality but it's often a lottery, it's consistently getting into positions to score which is key.

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

I didn't watch the game so not a comment on the specifics of last night but I'd disagree with that. Creating chances is what makes you a better team, sometimes they go in and sometimes they don't. Finishing is to a degree down to quality but it's often a lottery, it's consistently getting into positions to score which is key.

The better team needs to finish their chances.

Luck is overstated in my opinion. The player's creating the space and being in the position to score is not luck, that is a result of training, hard work, and quality. Unfortunately for England,  France did that twice.

2 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

The better team needs to finish their chances.

The better team frequently don't finish their chances. Football's a low scoring sport which does allow weaker teams to often win. We've all seen teams park the bus then flukily shin one in at the other end and somehow come away with a win, doesn't make them the better team.

4 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

The player's creating the space and being in the position to score is not luck, that is a result of training, hard work, and quality.

Absolutely. That's why chance creation is a better measure of quality than just goals scored.

Archived