Football: Kane is coming home

AncalagonTheBlack

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

And then in game 7 Tim Duncan had some terrible luck, missing a point blank shot very late in the game despite being regarded as the most technically sound big man of his era, maybe ever.

No, there's no luck in it. Duncan could've been tired, hurt or his focus could've just gone for a split second. Whatever it was, it was not luck.

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Reports that Fernando Santos is set to leave the Portuguese NT. The federation are seeking a termination by mutual consent, however contractual complexities could delay the process. Reportedly the Portuguese Football Federation's contract is with Femacosa -- a company set up by Fernando Santos in order to take advantage of a loophole to avoid/evade taxes -- to provide services to the NT rather than directly with Santos himself. Femacosa is currently under investigation by the Portuguese tax authorities.

If Santos does leave, then the Portuguese Football Federation should go all out to get Mourinho in. I think he'd make a great NT manager. His prickly/toxic nature, which tends to alienate players after a while, would be much less of an issue managing a NT. He's still a good tactician and his more conservative approach would be well suited to internationals, and he has a very good record in knockout football.

Would Mourinho want it, or if he did, could the Portuguese FA afford him? My guess someone like Sérgio Conceição is a more likely candidate.

Luck is probably not the right word.

But humans are not machines  Take the exact same shot, one after the other, score the first, miss the second (or vice versa).  The more skillful you are, the better you will be at repeating a task but there are physical limits around us repeating a complicated task.

So what's the word that describes how against team A I scored, against team B I missed the same shot?  Was a player in team B lucky they weren't in team A?

Luck is probably not the right but I can't find the right word.  It is just probability.

18 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Luck is a word used by people who cannot grasp the enormous complexity of the universe around them. ;)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportbible.com/football/news-darren-bents-infamous-beach-ball-goal-vs-liverpool-happened-12-years-20211016.amp.html

No luck you say? 

27 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Would Mourinho want it, or if he did, could the Portuguese FA afford him? My guess someone like Sérgio Conceição is a more likely candidate.

It won't be easy but that doesn't mean that the FPF shouldn't try. Mourinho needs to be their top choice and if he's not interested then they can move on to other targets. The lure of managing his country's NT could sway Mourinho since he's already won every competition he's managed in in club football. 

I don't know how anyone can argue that there isn't luck in sports.  Some sports there's much less luck (track, for example), but even then it's a factor when you could have some equipment problem or a muscle pull or just an unusually poor start in the biggest moment.

But in team sports with refs and such, luck is very clearly a factor.  Look at the 2010 Uruguay vs Ghana quarterfinal.  Ghana works hard to earn a penalty (and a red card for Suarez) in the final minutes of extra time.  Gyan misses the penalty and the game goes to a shootout.  Gyan takes the first penalty for Ghana and makes it (but Ghana loses the shootout in the end).  If Gyan had made the first one instead of the second, Ghana wins the game.  That's just luck.  Gyan didn't become a better or worse player between those two things happening, and they were both pressure filled moments.

Or for even more random events, whether the ball goes off the post to a teammate for an easy goal or an opponent for an easy clear is just luck.  The shooter was trying to get the ball on goal (not onto the post) and so it was not a matter of skill whether the ball goes at a slightly different angle to one man or another. 

2 hours ago, baxus said:

No, there's no luck in it. Duncan could've been tired, hurt or his focus could've just gone for a split second. Whatever it was, it was not luck.

It's a shot a high school player should make and one that he'd make almost every other time. There's no slight in saying he was unlucky that time while yes, also acknowledging he probably was gassed. 

We're just not going to see eye to eye on this one. I think luck plays a role in most aspects of life including in most sports. As has been mentioned, there's a fair bit of luck in just what the officials do. The American football team I root for got unlucky Sunday because they got a bad call and it wasn't reviewed, probably costing them a TD. It happens. I'm just of the opinion you can recognize this while not taking anything away from the players. Except for one of Messi's goals this WC, that shit was lucky. 

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Luck is a word used by people who cannot grasp the enormous complexity of the universe around them. ;)

Okay Obi-Wan. Guess it's a skill to hit on 16 and get a 5. :P

2 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

But in team sports with refs and such, luck is very clearly a factor.  Look at the 2010 Uruguay vs Ghana quarterfinal.  Ghana works hard to earn a penalty (and a red card for Suarez) in the final minutes of extra time.  Gyan misses the penalty and the game goes to a shootout.  Gyan takes the first penalty for Ghana and makes it (but Ghana loses the shootout in the end).  If Gyan had made the first one instead of the second, Ghana wins the game.  That's just luck.

No, it's not "just luck" by any stretch of the imagination. There's a huge difference in pressure between taking a shot that takes your team through and being one of five players taking shots to take your team through. Also, don't disregard how deflated he would've been to see his goal denied by Suarez in that manner. Gyan clearly wasn't able to put such injustice (as he would've seen it) behind him in such a short period. It's a psychological thing, not some supernatural force players have no control over.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Someone brought that balloon there, allowed it escape their control, and it ended up on the pitch. No one bothered to clear it before the footballer got there to shoot the ball. Luck would be if that balloon spontaneously formed in that location just before the kick.

2 hours ago, Padraig said:

Luck is probably not the right but I can't find the right word. 

Fortunate. For instance:

It was fortunate for Deshamps that Southgate decided to replace Saka with Sterling.

Nothing lucky or oogy-boogy about it. Just bad management from Southgate 

Archived