Football: Kane is coming home

AncalagonTheBlack

4 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

Not sure about penalty, there was minor contact there, but generally Argentina is much better, there is no doubt about that.

Agreed. But that BS penalty has forced the French to change their tactics and they're not yet tuned in correctly.

18 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

But you said he was celebrated for being an asshole. Wasn't because he was a very good basketball player?

And while certain types of people are able to overlook their favourite sporting superstar's moral shortcomings, and continue their fanwanking despite, I dunno, tax exasion, rape, bullying, or general cuntiness, that's not me. 

People here talk about Jordan punching a teammate in the face during a practice like it was a positive thing. The person he punched was Steve Kerr, who has more championships than Jordan now if you include the four he's won coaching probably the best team ever built in the sport.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

75 mins until wc final and nobody seems to give a shit. There's your 'best tournament ever' infantino. 

I've never seen such muted enthusiasm in the Toronto area for a World Cup - I guess the season makes a difference, but still seems like a lot less interest among the public.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

People here talk about Jordan punching a teammate in the face during a practice like it was a positive thing. 

Am I supposed to be impressed by this? American society is fucked up and backward. Hyper violence ftw, eh? 

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

Am I supposed to be impressed by this? American society is fucked up and backward. Hyper violence ftw, eh? 

No. I'm explaining something from a different culture, not justifying or moralizing it. 

But from a sports psychology perspective, is it all surprising that an all time great athlete has a good chance to be an asshole?

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

But from a sports psychology perspective, is it all surprising that an all time great athlete has a good chance to be an asshole?

No. Not at all.

But how we view that type of person says a lot about ourselves.

ETA: When I was your age, Tony Adams got blind drunk and crashed his car into the front of someone's house. It was fortunate noone was killed. Adams was rightly sent to prison, and when he was released he walked straight back into the team. At the time, I didn't care. Because I was young and stupid, I thought the most important thing was his worth to the team. 

If it happened today, I would have a completely different view. I'd want him sacked, his contract torn up. Just saying. 

1 minute ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

So Wenger for France manager anyone? ;)

Not a chance. He's on the FIFA gravy train now, and seems perfectly happy taking the money whilst completely tarnishing his legacy. Stupid old cunt. 

6 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

France have been completely and utterly useless. Probably the worst performance I've seen in a WC final.

I can't remember such a one sided half.  Maybe 1998, when Ronaldo was something...

France still have a chance I suppose.  I have no confidence in Argentina's defence but the biggest factor in their favour was always going to be their desire to win.

And wonderful second goal.  Wouldn't see many better goals in finals.

24 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

They've had five penalties. Most of them dubious af. 

Attacking teams are much more likely to get penalties.  Don't overthink it.

I think it was a penalty, even if there was a question around it.

Archived