Football: Kane is coming home

AncalagonTheBlack

14 minutes ago, Padraig said:

They never gave the awards at the tournament before.  Kind of assumes the players are going to be in the final, which you can be queried.

I don't fully understand what you're saying here, but imo the Croatian keeper should have won the golden glove.

37 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

I gave up on understanding the fair play award after France won it in 1998 despite picking 3 red cards, including one in the final 

I think it's more clear cut here. England with a single yellow in 5 matches.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

I am so glad we sold that prick. What a bellend.

Hey, Argentina didn't win a single major international trophy between Maradona retiring in 1994 and Emiliano Martinez being called up in 2021. Since then they've won 2. Put some respect on his name. 

12 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Mbappe is terrific, but he'll never reach Messi levels.

4 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Agree with this.

Why? If France wins on PKs, he has two WCs before 24 and a hat trick in the Final and he would have taken home both individual awards. That's one hell of a way to start your career. And to be clear, France losing takes nothing away from what he did. Mbappe is special.  

Well, for one, he plays for PSG, and it's gonna be impossible to really rack up the club-level accomplishments in a serious way doing that, and for two, there's subjectivity in football but only so much, and... well, he's just not as good. Seeing him play now, remembering Messi in his prime; he's not as good. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why? If France wins on PKs, he has two WCs before 24 and a hat trick in the Final and he would have taken home both individual awards. That's one hell of a way to start your career. And to be clear, France losing takes nothing away from what he did. Mbappe is special.  

He scored 2 PKs and WC is something but Messi's club record is insane. Seriously, Messi's goal scoring / assist consistency over a period of 13 years is unheard of. Mbappe may get there, who knows, but I highly doubt it. Messi has won 7 balloon d'ors, just not easy to replicate.

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Mbappe would for sure need to leave PSG to really challenge Messi's legacy. 

Anything is possible though, he is still so young.

Archived