His Dark Materials Season 3

kairparavel

30 minutes ago, dog-days said:

I think it's running on BBC2 in the UK from 18th December, which means that unusually there'll actually be something I want to watch on the Christmas TV schedules... 

Hope it keeps up the standard of S2. 

It's available as a box set for the full series from that date. 

26 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

It's available as a box set for the full series from that date. 

Unfortunately I don't have a TV Licence so can't use iPlayer. I mostly use a free work-related catch-up service to watch BBC stuff like Doctor Who and HDM. 

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

It is, but I'd rather have it all in one go, than spread out.

Planning on trying to ration myself to an episode a night that week. 

Tbf, I can wait as it's a busy time of year and there are other things to watch in the meantime. I might save it for Christmas Eve/Christmas Day.

23 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I'm wondering if HBO stepped up a lot larger share of the money to get earlier access.

Entirely possible. But still inherently offensive to me. ;)

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

Dr, Who is going to Disney, btw.

Not in the UK, it isn't. It's staying on the BBC and iPlayer, since they're the ones making it. It'll be on Disney+ overseas, once the existing deals expire.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished it. Definitely a strong conclusion to the series. 

Spoiler

The angel battle was a bit silly, and soldiers shooting spectres with guns even more so (there should have been some Magisterium types there) but I liked the penultimate episode quite a lot mainly thanks to Mrs. Coulter.

I liked the Lyra and Her Death episode a lot too.

At the end I'd say we probably could have done without the Father Gomez sub-plot. Not even sure how he got to that world and the beetle thing was confusing. The subtitles kept appropriating the beetle as his daemon, which was a spider.

Just finished the last episodes. I read the books many years ago, so if anyone can help me refresh my memory on something, I would be most grateful.

Spoiler

Why exactly is Lyra special? What did she do in the finale? Loved a guy and that is why dust started returning to the world? It seems to me that all of the work to destroy metatron was done by her parents. They said it was to buy her time, but ultimately time to do what? Find Pan?

5 hours ago, the hound of sansa said:

Just finished the last episodes. I read the books many years ago, so if anyone can help me refresh my memory on something, I would be most grateful.

Hide contents

Why exactly is Lyra special? What did she do in the finale? Loved a guy and that is why dust started returning to the world? It seems to me that all of the work to destroy metatron was done by her parents. They said it was to buy her time, but ultimately time to do what? Find Pan?

Spoiler

Lyra is the new Eve so, by elimination, Will is the new Adam, and when they Fall, they secure independence for humans again from the angels and other entities like the Authority (who may or may not be the Biblical God).

How they Fall mirrors the original, with the mulefa trees mirroring the Tree of Knowledge. The books are also clearer in that it is their "sexual awakening" which causes them to shed the Dust of childhood to become adults. There's a very vague hint in the books that they may have even had sex before parting, which mirrors some interpretations of the Biblical Fall (that it was not their nakedness which caused shame, but sex, although given the OG Bible's occasional eruptions of full grimdark, I'd have expected that to have been clearer, but who knows).

I recall not enjoying the last book as much as the first two, so I wasn't expecting too much from the final season. I thought it was pretty solid though.

I especially loved all of Mary's scenes. They did such a great job of bringing her to life. The scene where she sees her daemon was moving. Tbf, almost all the tear-jerk scenes involved daemons. 

Overall, I think the pacing of the conclusion, wrapping it all up was done well. The performances of Will and Lyra were great. They really sold it. 

I only finished it last night so will probably have further thoughts to come. 

I expect it will be very satisfying to watch it all over again - the three seasons, that is.

I missed a few things from the book, but most are understandable for logistics. Overall I enjoyed the season and I think the performances of Will and Lyra really carried this. The whole cast was excellent though.

Lyra leaving Pan was heartbreaking and I thought the final scene of the season was beautiful

Archived